Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. John

Casey uses chloroform on Caylee as a soporific. Casey can then nap or play. Severe child abuse. Then Caylee dies of Chloroform over-dose. At best, Casey panics, and multiple scenarios are possible. At "best", manslaughter. Just my opinion.

July 5, 2011 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
    • rahutchins

John:

That scenario also crossed my mind and the pool theory also seems to be credible to me. In my opinion, they can not prove that Casey was connected with any type of hard evidence. No DNA on duct tape. Non of Caylee's DNA or blood in trunk of the car. To me what this case has shown is lack of work on the part of the state. If I was sitting on that jury, I could not convict on any charge. Might have a hung jury on this one or conviction the the least of the charges with time already served as a sentence. I think that between the Anthony's throwing lots of doubt and then the state not doing enough, that the burden of beyond a reasonable doubt was not met.

July 5, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Judy

I hear ya, and respect you're opinion, but what was the duct tape for?
      I truly dont want to believe that someone can do that to a child and especaily their own, but you have to use common sense that God gave you and understand that those 31 days were not spent on looking for her "Missing" child, and if it's true that you're daughter accidently drowned why would she be looking at all? Why when everyone else was searching like crazy for you're daughter you were in a hot
      body contest getting tattoos acting like everything is great with the world? Come on you have to be smarter then that. How about the call she made to her mom where all she wanted was her boyfriends phone number, she never asked anything about any updates with Caylee, you wanna know why? because she alrady knew she was gone. This girl is a monster that wanted the "GOOD LIFE" like her "TAT" stated. It's right there in front of all our noses and I pray that the jury will use their commen sense and understand that this girl deserves Murder in the 1ST!

July 5, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Vlad

Key here is reasonable doubt. I believe there is reasonable doubt and thus first degree murder can only be given if jury uses "commen sense" as judy said...

Please watch "12 angry men"

July 5, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Michael

The truth lies between the members of the family. Each and every one of them is with-holding so much information or lying, from Casey, through brother, mother to father. Casey was out of hand but one thing I am quite sure about is they will kill an innocent girl if they give this lady the death penalty. She is just helpless and knows she has done enough to discredit anything she has to say but she is not GUILTY... maybe, guilty of being a bad parent but not murder.

July 5, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

What makes you say she is not guilty?? Are you one of the stereotypical males in your late 20's , early 30 's the defense wanted on the jury??

July 5, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Vlad

Lisa, are you one of those stereotypical mothers in your late 30's – early 40's with kids? Is your only reason to put Casey in jail is because you love your kids and you don't want anything liket that to happen to them? There is no hard evidence supporting prosecution's case: No DNA, no cause of death, no "real" motive. Thus there is reasonable doubt. No proof of innocence, but no proof of guilt either.

July 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rita LaCount

What about the perjury charges???? Cyndey and George broke the law!! Is everyone going to get away with perjury now because they showed tears.

July 5, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. rahutchins

There are so many possibilities as to what could have happened to Caylee and with the whole family being portrayed in a disfunctional light, it could have been George, Casey, Cindy........ Who knows. I personally, do not think that the state proved its case though. Where is Casey's DNA? Why was there no blood in the trunk of her car, yet they keep pressing the phone call from Cindy that the trunk smelled like it had a dead body in it. DNA? Blood? No one is that thorough when they clean something up. And if I was sitting on that jury, just based on Ashton's antics alone, I would start thinking that they did not have a case and I would tend to not believe the state on this.

July 5, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Judy

Why would there be blood if what Casey is saying is true? a drowning wouldnt have blood, nor the way she REALLY did it and that is suffocation!

July 5, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. dlaw

Where do u watch it? What channel?

July 5, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Judy

Lets be real! The evidence is right there! Explain to me why would you place duct tape on if you trust the defense on a already dead body? There's no reason for it, it makes no sense. I can say that being a mom if my baby was found in a pool I would do CPR till my arms feel off and then you would have a hard time telling me my baby is gone, This girl didnt show any actions of a Mom who just lost her daughter. Complied with lie after lie not to just her friends and boy friend, but to her own family, If you have kept up with this whole trail as I have then you know in you're heart that she is the reason that child is not here today! This subject has really brought people to the brink of fighting and at odds. but as God fearing loving human being the one thing we can all agree on is that this should have never happened! Casey is GUILTY of Murder in the 1st! Period!!

July 5, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • send her to texas

she is guilty of murder 1! what about the shovel??? they should have spent more time on the shovel! I would have asked:
      Did George, Cindy or Lee see this bamboo root that Casey was trying to supposedly trying to uproot?
      Did they have knowledge that she was trying to uproot it?
      Were they home when she borrowed the shovel?
      Was Casey responsible for yard maintenance? (give me a major break)
      Was it normal for Casey to assist in the yard maintenance?
      Doesn't anyone think it was odd for George to not have a shovel? He kept gas cans for years and years i can't accept that he didn't own a shovel,

I don't think any of these questions were answered during the trial??

She is GUILTY of murder in the first degree.

July 5, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Judy...
      you hit the nail on the head... this disgusting excuse for a mother needs to be executed. I have 3 children, and 1 grand daughter, Caylee's age, when I think what that poor little girl must have been thru, it sickens me. I say put her to death, so she never has a chance of ever hurting another child!!

July 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sue

Sorry in advance if someone has already brought this up. But when it was brought up that some people smelled the odor in the car and some didn't.Why didn't they say Cindy had cleaned it & used a whole bottle of fabreeze & put dryer sheets in the car. I know in it wouldn't have got rid of the odor but maybe cut it enough to decreased the smell for a while , then later on the smell comes back full force.

July 5, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Robin

She is GUILTY!! LOCK HER UP AND THROW AWAY THE KEY ALREADY!!

July 5, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Vlad

Strongest argument for the case of prosecution mentioned thus far. Good support.

July 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Vlad

Here is my opinion. (I emphasize that it is only opinion and it could be wrong, unlike some of you here who talk as though you saw the whole thing happen)

No way it is a premeditated murder. Here is why. Casey would have not partied for 31 days and reported the missing child right away. She would then participate in a search and pretended to care, because the image of a caring mother is helpful to be acquitted later.

Two possible theories for what happened:

1. Chloroform overdose. Motive: Casey wanted to go out and she needed her daughter to sleep. This theory explains the burial so close to the house, and the poor coverup.
    Should be charged with 2nd degree murder.

2. Accidental pool drowning. This theory explains everything but the duct tape.
    Should be charged with negligence.

Here is what's missing:
    1. Cause of death
    2. Casey's DNA
    3. Real motive (for the premeditated murder case)
    4. Reliable witnesses (why aren't George and Cindy in jail for lying under oath yet?)

July 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Blond Bomber

I watched the Casey Anthony Case from the very beginning and also wrote many blogs in remembrance of Baby Caylee. Her Beauty glowed as she growed. She was an Angel whose life was short lived and brutally murdered by her own jealous, selfish, no account, so call Mom, Casey Anthony. Casey needs to be where the “Sun Shine Doesn’t Shine! I hope her GUILTY VERDICT is reached very soon. I can only hope that if she doesn't get the Death Sentence that she will receive life without the possibility of parole. Frankly, I believe that Judge Perry should have allowed the Jurors to smell the Canisters which would have automatically proven Casey killed Caylee. Cindy quit trying to defend Casey’s actions, have you not realized by now, Casey intended to kill you and George first. She planned to get your house! That’s why she looked up “How to Defend Ones Self!” After Casey’s blow up, she took away the most important person in your family’s life and that was Caylee. Give Lee the attention he was denied and support your handsome husband and maybe you can mend bridges with your family.

July 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lisa

this is it!!! 2:15

July 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

Based on the evidence, there isnt much proof of premeditation. The prosecution didn't quite prove that to me. I believe she was the cause of her daughters death, but I do no think she planned the murder of Caylee. Seems more to me that this is manslaughter. If the jury comes back guilty on 1st degree murder, she has an excellent shot at appeal. A lot of the state's evidence was shoddy...I don't think you can convict on smells of a car's trunk...but maybe I am crazy.

July 5, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I feel ill. I no longer believe in this court system. It's OJ all over again.

July 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • kelley

This does not bode well for the State of Florida. Does this mean that if you "made a mistake" that took or harmed someone's life, all you have to do is lie, lie, lie and put so many stories into jurors heads to confuse and create reasonable doubt? I'd hate to be a citizen of that State and be a victim.

July 5, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • erica

what a joke. this woman can sit through a trial and not cry while they talk about the horrid death of her daughter, through the people who testified - and the showing of her babies clothing, yet she is found not guuilt and here come the fountain of tears. this court system is a joke. this woman killed her BABY!!! and she goes free. that is just lovely.

July 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • VANESSA

WHERE'S THE JUSTICE FOR THIS BABY?

July 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Jeff..your comment is probably one of the most sane that I have read on this sound off...it is sad how so many of us get caught up in the sensationalism of a trial and forget the rules of due process and fair trials. You can't just convict, or put to death, someone because you feel like they are guilty or have been swayed by the media's presentation of what they subjectively know about the case....It's called "beyond a shadow of a doubt"...people!!! Innocent until proven guilt...HELLO?...there is a reason the legal system works the way it does...to protect ourselves from the erratic fears and judgements of people...unfortunately some people may get away with murder but it also hopefully prevents the majority of us from being unjustly incarcerated... I have not lost faith in our justice system because I trust they made the decision carefully with the facts presented...but I have lost some faith in the reasoning and thoughtfulness of the American public...thirsting for blood and vengeance over something they truly know NOTHING about. It is awful that this little girl lost her life, how...we may never know, but it doesn't help for neanderthals to act like this trial is another tourist attraction at Disney World...this is life, death and justice not a roller coaster ride in Magic Kingdom #americantragedy

July 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vick

Regardless everyone knows she did it!
      Hopefully the prison inmates will TAKE CARE OF HER; they don't take kindly to baby killers!

July 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

Its about damn time she was found NOT GUILTY. She may have MADE A HUGE MISTAKES BUT IT DOESNT MAKE HER A MURDERER!!!!

July 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • TARM

I'm SICK !!! How can they let this monster walk? We have NO legal system in this country!!! Now a child is dead and no one is responsible. I'm certain that there is a high-power who will deal with Casey Anthony and the 12 Jurors. Their judgement day will come and I'm sure it won't be pretty! Too bad we won't be there to see it.... What about Casey having future children? How many of them will have to die before the eyes of the legal system are opened????? SHAME ON THE JURORS !!!

July 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. twin

DEATH PENALTY ALL THE WAY!!!!

July 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TWIN

DEATH PENALTY ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. VICKI

I AGREE WITH LISA

IT IS OJ ALL OVER AGAIN. SHE USED THE DUCT TAPE TO KEEP HER QUIET WHILE SHE WENT OUT. SHE KILLED HER DAUGHTER. THE COURT SYSTEM IS UNBELIEVABLE. HOW COULD THEY NOT FIND HER GUILTY......

July 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

The jurors hold the GOLDEN KEY to conviction or acquital. Looks like this jury lost the GOLDEN KEY in this trial. Free the mother – way to go, you guys!. What a waste and what a sad note that Caylee lost all the way around.

July 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

While I believe in my heart she is guilty and I feel sick, there was simply not enough evidence to connect her to this crime. That is the key. She got away with murder.

July 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94