Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case
Casey Anthony is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee Anthony, in the summer of 2008.
July 4th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Judging Casey Anthony case

It's the capital murder case that's held our attention this summer. But has the prosecution proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony intentionally murdered her daughter? The jury is beginning their deliberations today, and now it's your chance to weigh in. You've gotta watch the most pivotal moments from the defense and prosecution and judge for yourself whether Casey Anthony is guilty or innocent.

Prosecuting Casey Anthony – The state of Florida contends Casey Anthony cared more about partying and having a fun life than being a mother. It's her motive for murder, according to prosecutors. They paint her as a liar trying to live the good life at the expense of her daughter.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/natpkg.anthony.prosecution.wrap.cnn "]

Defending Casey Anthony – The defense brought molestation allegations against Casey Anthony's father and brother during the trial. It pointed to George Anthony as the real culprit behind the toddler's death and cover-up. Most importantly, Casey Anthony's defense team relied upon the fact that Caylee Anthony's cause of death is undetermined. It believes that's the real reason there's not enough evidence to convict the Florida mother of murder.
[cnn-video url=" http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2011/07/02/nat.anthony.defense.wrap.cnn"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Courts • Crime • Death Penalty • Florida • Gotta Watch • Justice
soundoff (2,539 Responses)
  1. Chang

George knows the truth of what happened, question is can he keep living with it...

July 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kim in California

WHERE'S DEXTER WHEN YOU NEED HIM?

July 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. john Hooper

Judge Perry should do what the judge in the Nanny murder trial in Boston did, a few years back....Instead of lowering the charge of murder to manslaughter, as Judge Zoebel did in Louise Wodwards trial, Juudge Perry needs to raise Casey Anthony's charge!

July 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mimi

The prosecutor should have gone for manslaughter, rather than first degree murder simply due to no concrete evidence. Casey would have definitely been found "guilty" of that because the child was in her custody when Caylee went missing. Most damning case against Casey is that she never reported her missing for 31 days – not her family or the law enforcement. This speaks volume. She waited as long as she could in the hopes that evidence would be lost or harder to find.

Also, the jurors, surely they have to ask the big question, "Why did Casey Anthony not report her missing daughter and why all the many lies?" The answer is simple – she lied because she killed her daughter, otherwise why all the lies? It does not make any sense!

What's clear is that Casey has the luck of the O.J. Simpson. However, "Karma" is a very powerful thing, and you can't avoid that.!

July 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • 4boyzmom

KARMA! I couldn't agree more!

July 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. 4boyzmom

WOW! NO JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE??!! I for one am truely saddened and dissapointed in the American Justice System! BARE MINIMUM: Casy did not report Caylee(her 2yr old daughter) missing, hurt, or otherwise in distress...and in fact NEVER DID!! Casey's mother Cindy Anthony had to DRAG her out of a BF's house to get the information out of her that anything was even wrong with Caylee (although motherly intuition told her otherwise) . FOR 30 DAYS PEOPLE!!

I may agree that the prosecution may not have completely proved that she actually physically killed her daughter maybe they couldn't agree on Murder1 BUT she was the last to see her daughter...she concealed the "event that caused Caylee's death"...She repeatedly lied during the search for her daughter, all the time knowing that her daughter was already dead??! In my opinion there has been no justice served for little Caylee Anthony and a murderer will soon be loose is society! SAD SAD SAD!

July 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Michele Williams

I read all the remarks that everybody has said. This isn't a joke. A child is dead. I am also a grandmother and my main concern is that there will still be no justice for Caylee and that finding her mother innocent this child will be forgotten I didn't watch all of the trial, but casey was found not guilty. So I want somebody to turn their sights onto whoever they think killed that precious angel. My personal thoughts on guilty or innocent doesnt matter. What matters is that Caylee is still dead.

July 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. KAT

Let me see, neck breaking, opps my child is missing and i dump her in the woods, accident they say, our country is going to pot, we cant even get justice for that poor baby. She makes me sick just and so does her dirt bag attorney. i'm so angry........................ I hope the jury who was sooooo tired and wanted to go home can live with the fact that a murderer is going to be back on the street. I want my money back the money that i as John Q tax payer paid for them to eat and sleep every night because i did not get my moneys worth.

July 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kathy

What the hell does the jury think – Aliens kidnapped Caylee and dropped her in the swamp? I don't think they understook waht "reasonable doubt" means. It opens the flood gates for child molesters and murderers to move to Florida and do whatever you want, Jose Baez will get you off. I hope someone gets to Casey in jail. Maybe someone will put her or Jose Baez in a plastic bag and dump them in the swamp. Does Jose Baez have kids? Most llikely not. I can see defense attorneys watching out for their clients rights, but to lie and make up stories to "spin the focus" for the jury is not right. He got a murderer off and the defense team views it as a win. They won! Thank God. What did they win? It's not a freaking game – a child is dead!

July 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. KAT

I hope Ashton appeals that stupid decision, i will help raise money for them to re-try this case, GUILTY IS GUILTY, the pubilc is in morning and we are all heart broken for Caylee, we love you baby!!!!!

July 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • SickInNC

Kat, the prosecution can not appeal a not guilty verdict - you can only appeal convictions. Casey will never be charged for the death of Caylee. As for police to continue pursuit of the crime.. that wouldn't make much sense either since they worked the crime for three years and are certain Casey is the one who committed the crime. No one will ever pay for Caylee's death. Poor baby, rest in peace.

July 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kathy

I hope she suffers the same fate that she bestowed upon her daughter. That would be justice!

July 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Peg

My Heavens, what more did the prosecution have to prove? They already had proof that she had no baby sitter.. Zanny was an out and out LIE,, so all the time during that precious childs 2 years on this earth when her mother ( the monster) calimed that the baby was with the nanny, Where was she? I would venture to bet drugged in the car or only God knows where,, Poor little thing. You want to call it an accident, an accident would be that she fell down a flight of stairs, or ran out in the street. NOT DRUGGING THE CHILD so Casey could go party and screw around with what ever boy friend she decided to be with at the time. God Bless the Family and the I pray God be with them as they struggle through the days ahead of them.

July 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. HEART BROKEN GRANDMOTHER (M.S)

ONLY GOD KNOWS & HE WILL MAKE JUSTICE FOR KAYLEE WHEN HER (CASEY) TIME COMES.

July 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

I can't imagine why the defense team & Casey displayed such a celebration mode after the verdict. Inappropriate?

July 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gloria Q.

We know for sure her daughter is in heaven. BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.
    Lady.

July 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. hawk

The jury got it right here. My gut says she was guilty, but that doesn't matter. What only matters is what you can PROVE. Its not the defenses job to prove innocence. The burden of proof is on the state. The day that changes we are all in trouble. What was really telling about the jury is how fast they all agreed for not guilty. 2 days was much faster than I would have expected. They all heard the same thing we did during the trial . I'm willing to bet if a full and proper autopsy (opening the head per the other expert) was done the verdict would have been different. Even if you couldn't determine cause or manner of death, at least you could have disproven the defenses case with science with diatoms or something else. Hope the medical examiner gets fired so more Casey Anthony's don't get away with murder.

July 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94