July 4th, 2011

Montana governor demands answers

Montana's governor pushed for answers Monday as to why additional resources have not been devoted to clean up the Yellowstone River, days after hundreds of barrels of oil seeped into the rushing waters after a pipeline ruptured.

ExxonMobil reports at least 200 people have converged on the area near Billings.

"Not all the assets that we wanted are here, and we're going to find out why," said Gov. Brian Schweitzer.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Energy • Montana
  1. TvNYC

Rich people will never learn. Oil drilling and oil rigs, nuclear plants are not safe and should be obsolete by now. We have solar energy, we have wind energy and we have electric cars... This is the only way America can come back in emerging markets. The world economy is struggling because there is just way too much destruction around the world from the effects of global warming. We need a solution that will make us money and will clean our planet for our kids and grandkids. It is becoming too late. These oil spills are ridiculous and are dirty in whichever way you look at it. Why you think Arabs are so loaded and prone to wars, because they have what everyone needs (oil). I love America but we need to get the new solar panels rolled out for cheaper, wind powered highways, and electric cars out right away. If democrats are going to do anything save re world forget about the debt this country has and all the corrupt cuts they are talking about it. If you want your debt paid, make something available to the world emerging markets that everyone needs! Forget oil and nuclear power, it is obviously dangerous and not worth it especially the fact that oil is owned and drilled by Arabs ( most of it )... And nuclear power is wanted by terrorist. We are giving them money for oil and we are giving them ideas how to build nuclear power. I guarantee you Iran has been a nuclear power for the past year. They have money and money can buy practically anything! Take care and invest in tesla motors!

July 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

Thank you for talking some SENSE!!!! The State of Iowa has been debating an increase in our utility rates, in Advance of building a proposed nuclear facility! The exact same deceit has been played on other states: the rates go up to pay for this; stay up for years; and nothing is ever built! Thanks to AARP for their attempt at boycotting this Republican initiative, but no matter how many times we call to scream NO, we don't want this, all we get are glib replies about: "something must be done to create more energy and nuclear energy is safe." Yes, he said it is SAFE! We've been using this dangerous method for decades now and we've been lucky is all. And during all these years, they still haven't figured out where they can store all of this multiplying nuclear waste. Everyone yells the same thing: "NOT IN MY BACKYARD!"
      Solar and wind should be our primary source of energy for the future. As you mention, this would bring America back to the forefront of innovation, creating much needed JOBS! Instead, they stand idly by as these jobs fly off to China, just like all of our other jobs over the last 30 years. Not meaning to sound bigoted with this remark, but I seriously wish China was still some far off, unknown, mysterious land that we didn't want to have much to do with. Who was the idiot who started the ping-pong championships with the Chinese, which broke down this wall? There's no going back now.

July 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TvNYC

And please Obama, do Americans a favor, I personally work and thank God I'm not disabled but the ones that are disabled, please raise their benefits from $500 to at least $1900/ month. They are disabled but make the laws so only disabled get benefits not just anybody.

July 4, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • WishIHadAJob

1900.00 a month....450 a week? Everybody will be running to their lawyer trying to get disability.

July 4, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Don Anspaugh

Well, now our most beautiful state and one of the last vestiges of wilderness has been besmirched by these robber barons. If the people of this country had any stones, there would be an incredible price to pay for any appreciable spill anywhere but we really dont care. Just keep the price down and we will give you whatever subsidies you want!

July 4, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

To Don and anyone else in Montana: I am truly sorry for this disaster that has hit your beautiful state. Hopefully your Governor will be able to knock some heads together to get this mess cleaned up. I can't help but think about the oil disasters in Africa that happen regularly but get little. of any media attention and they have no powerful officials to stand up for their rights. For example, oil spills in Nigeria happen almost weekly! These people get no compensation for their loss and are forced to just live in the middle of oil everywhere. Look up the story in news week-dot-com. It will make you sick to see how these disgusting oil company barons force poor people to live with oil everywhere- in their food, burning their eyes, and destroying their only water supply. We are truly lucky we don't live there.

July 5, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Don Anspaugh/
    Who is going to pay for the subsidies?
    The government?
    Who pays for the government?
    I can buy the gas I put into my car. I heat my house, too.
    You buy you car's gas, and I'll buy mine.

July 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TvNYC

You guys just don't get it...

July 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Libhunter

No, YOU don't get it. We don't believe your gibberish about global warming, your green energy "alternatives" are all stupid ideas that don't generate even a miniscule portion of what energy we need and probably won't for many decades. You live in a dream world and you want me to write a check to pay for it. You and Obama should pack up and move to Canada. This is OUR country and we're going to take it back from you. You and those like you are not wanted, needed or even welcome here any longer . . .

July 4, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

@Libhunter- You need to check your pronouns before posting. "We"- not everyone thinks like you (Praise God!) and "Our"- there is only a chosen few who only agree with you who have a Right to live here? Aren't you an odd little troll? Remember what happens when you "assume" things?

July 5, 2011 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. leeintulsa

I'm an electrician and i'm about to finish my 2nd big solar project. It's gonna start at the commercial/government level. Osage county fairgrounds and chandler park community center. The fairgrounds saw it's electric bill halve. PSO was none too happy about it, neither. That's money out of their pocket..

No one has enough money, so only those spending other people's money can afford it. But it will come along. In time.

July 4, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

hey TvNYC and Lee , hope you had a good 4th , night all

July 4, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nur amabo nur

The rich people have learned ! They get your monthly cable, gas & electricity check don't they ? In my area our electric bills are slated to double over the next 4 years because of wind power. So don't bother sending any electric cars my way. Ever think that maybe nuclear plants aren't safe because the owners take their profits instead of doing maintenance ? Kinda like the gas companies that put a gas line in the ground and forget about it till there is an accident. In excess oil spills are disastrous but also consider that oil is a naturally occurring substance and our mother earth has way of dealing with it. Global warming !!!! Bhaaaaa think for yourself that hoax is just pathetic. The earth goes through natural heating and cooling cycles over thousands of years. We simply have no solid evidence its real, and the best solution so far will cost a trillion $ to bring the earth s temp down 1/8 of a degree. Ridiculous! How many non disabled workers sit at a computer everyday ? Shouldn't those jobs go to the disabled ? When having a bad hang nail stops being a disability you can collect for then the rates can go up. Get all those govt mooches off the system and cleaning a park or fixing potholes then we would be on the road to recovery.

July 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julia

I wish I could shout every expletive possible at you, you narrow-minded, sleazy creep! There really ARE disabled people out here who would LOVE to find a real job doing something at home on the computer! I had a GREAT career; worked ALL my life- on the books since I was 14 and many years before that. And my disability is NOT a damn hangnail. I really hope someday you and those who talk like you will end up in a nasty accident on your way home from work and end up paralyzed or with a condition that leaves you in absolute agony each and every day of the rest of your rotten life. Then see how YOU enjoy reading the vile things you just wrote!

July 5, 2011 at 2:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Hey, "run obama run" (yes we can read backward)....
      There are those who take advantage of the system to be sure, but there would be no matter what. The process to receive ssdi is long, expensive and beyond the ken of some people who desperately need it. I absolutely agree that every able bodied person should be working, but at this point, where would they work? The past government has made our country one of the rich vs the poor even more than ever. I do not like Obama, but some middle ground between the rich (repubs) and the regular folk (libs) must be found for our country to thrive again. I agree that oil, propane and (goddess forgive me for saying so) coal must be part of the answer. Nuclear has it's place as well. But there is no reason we cannot augment these non renewable resources with wind, solar, etc to lead the way into the future with less need for war in the name of control over natural resources. There has to be some way to make sense of it all without resorting to greed, anger, war and draining the earth at a rate that cannot be sustained.
      I'm an Independent, and next year I will not be voting because it's already obvious my choices will be between Obama and a Republican woman. Neither would get my vote, therefore I shall abstain for the first time in the33 yrs I've been able to vote.

July 5, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Lest it seem I am anti-female-president... I would have voted for Hillary in a heartbeat. Just waiting for the Dems or Independents to come up with a viable female candidate... then I'll be back at the voting booth.

July 5, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

I surprised they havnt jacked up the prices yet at least not in mich yet

July 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. whaa

Y'all want cheese with that whine? have news for you eco friendly fools the wind and solar arent going to cut it by themselves. .nukes are where it's at. .only the weak and foolish are afraid of them

July 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joe Barton (R-TX)

On behalf of the people in this country, I would like to apologize to Exxon for any hardship they may have faced as a result of the criticisms leveled at them by Montana and its people. We all know that Exxon execs (along with those of BP and other oil companies) are the greatest friends to the American public.

July 4, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

@Joe Barton (R-TX):

Oh, that's rich.
    Pun intended.

July 4, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LvDanes

Yellowstone....Goodbye To A River....Don Henley.......so long

July 4, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ajd041

Banasay I agree lol and well all this bickering about this energy and the people who say global warming doesn't exist are correct its just a theory and the earth does go through natural cooling cycles every thousand years or so but that doesn't mean what we're doing is right the US has more CO2 emissions than any other country in the world to help give you a sense of just how much we emit if each metric ton we have released since the year 2000 you could go over the national debt and then some now I know I said it has no evidence but that doesn't mean releasing that much co2 is a good thing! And to cope with it at least in energy consumption I mean we need to consider fusion its harmful byproduct free and is extremely efficient

July 4, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TvNYC

Jazzzz... Had a great 4th of July... Hope yours was great and full of partying. At the end of the day Obama got my back and he knows what he has to do for this country. Night peoples

July 5, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |