CNN canceling 'In the Arena'; 'AC 360' shifting to 8 p.m.
July 6th, 2011

CNN canceling 'In the Arena'; 'AC 360' shifting to 8 p.m.

CNN canceled "In the Arena," the prime-time CNN talk show hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, as part of a phased evening lineup shuffle, the network said Wednesday.

Starting August 8, CNN’s flagship news program "Anderson Cooper 360°" will move to Spitzer's 8 p.m. ET slot and will re-air at its current 10 p.m. position.

The shuffle’s second phase begins in the fall with the debut of a general news program with former CNBC anchor Erin Burnett. Her show, announced last month, will begin at 7 p.m. ET, moving “John King USA” to 6 p.m. and the two-hour “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” to 4 p.m.

Ken Jautz, executive vice president of CNN/U.S., said CNN is talking with Spitzer about an alternative role.

“We thank him and the entire 'In the Arena' team for creating a program that moved many political and economic issues into the national spotlight,” Jautz said.

Spitzer, in a statement released Wednesday, said his show "engaged serious people in conversations about national and global issues in a way that was informative and challenging."

"I believe that we provided diverse and valuable perspectives during the show's tenure. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at CNN," Spitzer said.

“Piers Morgan Tonight” will continue to be shown at 9 p.m. and midnight ET. Burnett’s new show will re-air at 11 p.m. ET.

“The new lineup showcases anchors who are experienced reporters in covering stories that span the globe,” Jautz said. “We created a nightly schedule that brings together the best of CNN’s journalism on a wide range of topics from politics and the economy to global and world events, as well the best newsmaker and celebrity interviews. This line-up ensures viewers access to the best of what CNN has to offer whenever they tune in at night.”

CNN fall schedule (All times Eastern):

- 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.: “American Morning”
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: “CNN Newsroom”
- 4 p.m.: “Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer”
- 6 p.m.: “John King, USA”
- 7 p.m.: Erin Burnett
- 8 p.m.: “Anderson Cooper 360°”
- 9 p.m.: “Piers Morgan Tonight”
- 10 p.m.: “AC 360” (re-air)
- 11 p.m.: Erin Burnett (re-air)
- Midnight: “Piers Morgan Tonight” (re-air)

Post by:
Filed under: TV
  1. Henk Melles

Eliot Spitzer is simply a man with an intellect that cuts through the fog of U.S political, economic and social thinking– ( the false problematics). He is sharp and entertaining. So do not take him off the air ! CNN has a right to my opinion..I am Dutch.

July 7, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
    • StanW-California

I agree! Please cancel Piers Morgan instead!! I get sick of "celebrity" interviews by a British citizen when Elliott had much more important and interesting topics to talk about!

July 7, 2011 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Lindsey

I don't know why CNN hired Spitzer in the first place. CNN needs to bring back Lou Dobbs or Rick Sanchez. It is a shame CNN fired Rick. And Lou could have competed with FOX's ratings. Maybe when Campbell Brown comes back CNN can put her at 8PM with Dobbs and Sanchez. That would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SICKTOMYSTOMACH

you have to many blah blah blah shows on! they all talk about the same crap all day and night now. cant you think of anything else to put on? AC is bugging the crap out of me lately too. he thinks hes a celebrity and add drama. come on, its fricken news? blah blah blah bla

July 7, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

I am grateful to Spitzer and all the analysts on CNN for providing insight and discussion on the news topics of the day. I particularly appreciate Eliot Spitzer's viewpoint because of his work history. H'e seen a lot more than I have of politics and government.

We seldom get lively, informed discourse in our private lives, and these people have access to far more information than the rest of us have time to pursue. I personally appreciated Spitzer's show, and think he asks solid questions. I hope CNN finds another forum for his incisive talents. If you do not like a particular analyst's viewpoint, or the topic under discussion, that is what the channel and "On/Off" buttons are for.

July 7, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carol

I thought he was excellent and very intelligent! I hope they come up with something really good for him!

July 7, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rey

I can't beleive they axed the best show on the network!!!!!! I'm done with CNN!!!! Elliot, let's take our show elsewhere. I'm with you!!! No one drills down like you do!!!

July 7, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • StanW-California

Pulling Elliot Spitzer is about the dumbest thing CNN has done yet!
      What's wrong? Is he too intelligent? He had the best interviews with the best guests on TV, now you dump him! Why not dump Piers Morgan who only interviews celebrities to talk gossip? Worthless show!

July 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pat

Get rid of John King and keep Spitzer!! No one in my circle of friends likes King-hit the off button for sure

July 7, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. Frank

People of the United States of America,
    CNN was being beating like a "Dirty Carpet" by FOX during the 8:00 PM slot.
    Spitzer was "F...n Steam Rollered by Bill O anf FOX.This was to be expected.

July 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tom

Good show-best of the others- had gotten better as it progressed .

July 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JJ

Nancy Grace is doing productive work daily for victims of crime. Thank you, Nancy, and keep up the good work! God Bless you!

July 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. NameIrving tallman*

This was the only show on CNN except for zarkaris that dealt with the real problems we face with some objectivity and clarity. CNN has lost another viewer for any daily news show!

July 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. rpupkin

it took guts for CNN to put Spitzer on, but in the end, short-term bottom-line gutlessness won the day. In The Arena and GPS w/Fareed were the only shows i watched on this aimless network. it'd probly be more convenient for me if Fareed found a new home so i can remove CNN from my digital cable favorites list and save some time browsing the listings.

July 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Carol

' Eliot Spitzer'ss In the Arena was a most intelligent program and am sorry you canceled it in order to put Anderson Cooper with the same program twice which makes one wonder why we, the people are paying extra for cable to see the same program twice in one night.
    I guess Mr. Spitzer's program was too enlightening and again you will dumb us down with Piers Morgan who evidently seems like a nice fellow but which does not make for an interesting program and for that matter neither does Anderson Cooper.

July 7, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sandy

i too am very disappointed with your decision to pull Elliott. He was the best of the best and the only reason i tuned in to CNN. Bad idea!!!

July 7, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dr. Robert Brown

WHY? WHY? I can't imgine why CNN would run off a man like ELiot Spitzer. His show was the only program on your network which provided any adult discussion of topics of real interest. I am amazed. I pray some other network will employ his unique talents. IT WILL PROVE TO BE YOUR LOSS, CNN. I will no longer spend any time on your site.

July 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Vincent Jacquard

It's simply stupid for CNN to cancel the Arena. Eliot Spitzer, Fareed Zakaria and Anderson Cooper are the only ones we watch. Just read the comments and you will see that we don't need to watch Anderson Cooper twice!
    Where are we going to get intelligent news? I guess we are left with Al Jazeera. Goodbye!

July 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sandy

cancel p. morgan not eliot spitzer..he is excellent...i will tune into msnbc..

July 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |