CNN canceling 'In the Arena'; 'AC 360' shifting to 8 p.m.
July 6th, 2011

CNN canceling 'In the Arena'; 'AC 360' shifting to 8 p.m.

CNN canceled "In the Arena," the prime-time CNN talk show hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, as part of a phased evening lineup shuffle, the network said Wednesday.

Starting August 8, CNN’s flagship news program "Anderson Cooper 360°" will move to Spitzer's 8 p.m. ET slot and will re-air at its current 10 p.m. position.

The shuffle’s second phase begins in the fall with the debut of a general news program with former CNBC anchor Erin Burnett. Her show, announced last month, will begin at 7 p.m. ET, moving “John King USA” to 6 p.m. and the two-hour “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” to 4 p.m.

Ken Jautz, executive vice president of CNN/U.S., said CNN is talking with Spitzer about an alternative role.

“We thank him and the entire 'In the Arena' team for creating a program that moved many political and economic issues into the national spotlight,” Jautz said.

Spitzer, in a statement released Wednesday, said his show "engaged serious people in conversations about national and global issues in a way that was informative and challenging."

"I believe that we provided diverse and valuable perspectives during the show's tenure. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at CNN," Spitzer said.

“Piers Morgan Tonight” will continue to be shown at 9 p.m. and midnight ET. Burnett’s new show will re-air at 11 p.m. ET.

“The new lineup showcases anchors who are experienced reporters in covering stories that span the globe,” Jautz said. “We created a nightly schedule that brings together the best of CNN’s journalism on a wide range of topics from politics and the economy to global and world events, as well the best newsmaker and celebrity interviews. This line-up ensures viewers access to the best of what CNN has to offer whenever they tune in at night.”

CNN fall schedule (All times Eastern):

- 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.: “American Morning”
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: “CNN Newsroom”
- 4 p.m.: “Situation Room With Wolf Blitzer”
- 6 p.m.: “John King, USA”
- 7 p.m.: Erin Burnett
- 8 p.m.: “Anderson Cooper 360°”
- 9 p.m.: “Piers Morgan Tonight”
- 10 p.m.: “AC 360” (re-air)
- 11 p.m.: Erin Burnett (re-air)
- Midnight: “Piers Morgan Tonight” (re-air)

Post by:
Filed under: TV
  1. Tony D

I tuned in tonight to watch Spitzer. I saw a new guy in his spot. The first 10 minutes of the show were about Murdock, News Corp and their UK tabliod. I agree that the conduct was disgraceful, but why the flashing sign that but the blame on FOX News? This event was about something totally unrelated to the US cable company. I felt I was listening to psycho crybaby Olberman who started all of his shows with a knock against O'Reilly and Fox. I come to CNN for real news analysis, and have to listen to this nonsense!!! Oh yeah, the next story was about Casey Anthony. That's over. CNN and all other news outlets need to get over it. Leave that crap to Dr Drew and Ms. Grace. Can we please have real news and honest commentary. There is too much of importance going on in the US and the world to become bogged down in sensationalism and minutiae.
    Also – I notice a few previous comments about P Morgan. He's not my favorite, but he's 1000 times better than the ever annoying Larry King.

July 8, 2011 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Stan Willmann

CNN pulled Elliot Spitzer for one reason. He actually is intelligent and can communicate to us! I have always appreciated Elliot's interviews. P Morgan is disgusting. Morgan is a British citizen and his opinions are truly British, not American! He interviews celebrities, not important people like Elliot does. Ratings problem? Elliot was in the wrong time slot anyway. Move him into Morgan's slot and the results will be amazing. Morgan belongs on the late night schedule for all the celebrity worshipers, he contributes nothing useful only entertainment. Bring back Elliot now!!!

July 8, 2011 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  2. Chuck

"NASTY GRACE"should be sue out of her little mind!

July 8, 2011 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lee McBrayer

CNN has pared its line up down leaving Anderson and Blitzer as being worthy of the their air time. I really enjoyed Spitzer. Smart , direct and not afraid to disagree wit his guest. If CNN wants to improve the viewing fareCNN offers then shed that terrible trio you have positioned in The Am Show!! Cetainly rid us of Ali.

July 8, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Stan Willmann

CNN, please cancel P Morgan not Elliot Spitzer! I have emailed you many times about this!
      We need someone with intelligence today! P Morgan is not even a citizen (and continually reminds us of this)!
      Get rid of Morgan and bring back Spitzer! At least Spitzer is a citizen and is actually very intelligent and interesting!
      Morgan's comments recently have been truly insulting and unAmerican! He is British 100%. I want a true American, Spitzer is one of the best!

July 8, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. marian atkinson

In the Arena was the one and only show I actually enjoyed on CNN. Spitzer is good and that show had a quality that none other has on CNN. Piers Morgan - desperate. Leave him to the foolish 'who can dance, who can sing' shows. Suits him! Spitzer actually has intelligence and allowed his guests enough time to actually speak, unlike all the other shows on CNN – no one gets a chance to answer a question without being interrupted by the interviewer. Your loss CNN - you finally had a winner and you're giving it up???

July 8, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. jon

I've never watched Spitzer so I don't know if the show was good or bad. I will NEVER watch Anderson Cooper because I have neither the time nor the willingness to watch the 21st century's edition of Geraldo Rivera. Maybe CNN can have a 2 hour special "Anderson Cooper and Al Capone's Vault". I wish CNN would go back to broadcasting meaningful news instead of retaining faux-journalists.

July 8, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brenda Whitaker

My husband and I were very disappointed of your getting rid of Eliot Spitzer–by far the most intelligent anchor you've had in a very long time–he always knew his subject matter and tried very hard to make people answer a question instead of saying a bunch of words that never answered the question. You should get him back. You've certainly lost us as viewers.

July 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nancy Smith

Eliot Spitzer was the most intelligent and piercing journalist on TV. I thought Catherine Parker was very good too, what happened to her? If CNN is trying to rid itself of serious intelligent journalists, they should let Fareed Zakari go as well. It is is very frustrating for those of us who are interested knowing about serious world events, not what is Anthony or Weiner going to do next...

July 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dr. Robert Brown

Would someone please let me know what Eliot is going to do in the future. I hope he stays in television. We need
    someone of his caliber at least somewhere in cable "news."

CNN, I think you'll regret canning him. He's a jewel in the CNN milieu of talkers.

July 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frank Moffatt

Please bring back Larry, Eliot and the former Anderson (not the new entertainer Anderson). Please bring back the real news and put aside the entertainment.

July 8, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jerry C

So disappointed CNN has canceled Spitzer. Only news show I looked forward to. Intelligent discussions, opinionated but he listened to, presented, and challenged opposing views. And honest about his own previous shortcomings. I hope you show up on another network soon Elliot.

July 9, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. marian dunn

I am very sorry to see Elliot Spitzer cancelled. I had actually postponed watching the Newshour so I could see his informative show. I'd 10 times rather see you drop Piers Morgan than Spitzer. I change the channel when he is on as he is silly too often. Marian Dunn

July 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nelson Holcomb

Get rid of Piers Morgan and his inane drivel and bring Eliot Spitzer back. His was the only program that was insightful, thought provoking ans interesting

July 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Andrea

Very glad to see he's gone and don't care one bit where he goes from here! Thanks to CNN for paying attention and doing the right thing!

July 11, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Janice Watanabe

Very sorry to see Eliot Spitzer gone, his show was the best thing on CNN. I will wait to see where he turns up next and follow him there.

July 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JP Dunn

Just when I thought CNN had put together a good, unconventional news show with a savvy, enthusiastic Eliot Spitzer, its gone?? I hope CNN can realize his potential for a future position.

July 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |