July 7th, 2011

Toobin: Judge made statement with Anthony sentencing

CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin calls the four-year sentence Judge Belvin Perry slapped on Casey Anthony a surprise but says the judge likely was making a statement in giving her the maximum jail time.

Perry on Thursday sentenced Anthony to one year behind bars on each of four counts of lying to police concerning the death of her daughter, Caylee. She also was fined $1,000 for each count.

“Most people convicted of misdemeanors do not get prison time in Florida or anywhere else," Toobin says.

Despite the sentence, Anthony won't spend much more time incarcerated. She got credit for the time spent in custody since her arrest, almost 1,000 days.

Before the court gave Anthony's official release date, Toobin speculated that she could be free in less than two months once credit for good behavior also was considered. But it appears Anthony got a bigger break - she'll be out in a less than a week. A court spokeswoman said her release date would be Wednesday.

Anthony has served about three years already. And it seems, Toobin said, the judge was intent on making sure some kind of punishment had been handed down in the case.

"This judge was clearly appalled at the nature and content of the lies Casey Anthony told to the police," he says. "We are all reminded about just how sinister and awful these comments were."

Authorities said Anthony lied about whether her daughter was missing. Her other lies included claims that Caylee was in a nanny's custody, that she had a job at Universal Studios and that she had received a phone call from Caylee.

Toobin said that while Anthony's criminal law troubles may be over, she could be involved in civil litigation much longer.

Zenaida Gonzalez has filed a defamation lawsuit against Anthony. Authorities questioned Gonzalez in Caylee's disappearance after Anthony said a nanny by that woman's name had kidnapped the child. Gonzalez denied ever meeting Anthony.

Florida officials also are asking that Anthony repay the state for the enormous cost of investigating the case. A private firm that helped in the child's search wants its money back, too.

Lawsuits could linger for years, Toobin says, but he doubts they'll have much effect.

"I will be surprised if Casey Anthony ever ends up paying anyone," he says.

Post by:
Filed under: Casey Anthony • Crime
soundoff (1,385 Responses)
  1. Michael Osbon

July 7, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jon

Had the jury found her guilty it would of been a worse offense to us all as Americans. The jury could not find her guilty, no matter what they "felt", that is how the law works, and for good reason. It is a travesty what happened, but it is impossible to find someone guilty without proving it. The prosecution really dropped the ball here by failing to even prove how the young girl died.

July 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lou50

by the way when does her daughter get released?

July 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • newmac

Like that Lou. BTW, why have they changed the formatt of this site....it's much harder to follow. Not to mention there's no "like" button!

July 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DBM

CNN chat boards have become the perfect locating device for people who are too busy worrying about their own lives and problems and need to intervene in the lives of others (who you will likely never meet, or even see in person). Thanks, CNN.

July 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • hannah01

So why are you commenting on the chat board...just to say something is wrong with people who comment? I think that would be you too.

July 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • r

that logic doesn't really make sense

July 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jes

Ok, ok, now the police will restart the investigations, since no guilty person was found. Would them? Still, AN INOCENT CHILD WAS MURDER, someone must go to prison and get Death Penalty, simply as is. Why not start arresting the "MOST GUILTY PERSON"? ah, because the law says a person is only considered guilty when it is proven in a court of law. Okay, then, if Anthony is not the guilty one, who is the "most guilty" to go after? If my child drowns in a swiming pool, I would call 911 in seconds, why not? except if I would have something to hide, right?

People, GOD is great. The guilty person will pay indeed, sooner or later. I still trusting the police investigative job. Anthony will be out of prison soon, but her life will not be easy, there are hundreds of million of people in this country that don't like a CHILD BEING MURDER, at all.

July 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Johnny Ringo

was that ramble in English?

July 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • newlifehawk

Well said!
      I hope someone will put a bullet in her head soon and that will be it. What a disgusting pieace of trash! While everyone talks about her, we forget about little Caylee that was gone too soon. Every time I watch her photos and videos my heart tears apart. Poor little Caylee was unfortunate to be born to such an evil piece of crap.

July 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

We can only wish there was a just god. If there were, why in the hell would he allow such an innocent child to suffer such a horrible death. I do think that for all intensive purposes, Ms. Anthony's life is over. She is more infamous and reviled than O.J.. She will have a very difficult time both in public and with her interpersonal relationships.

July 7, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Floridian

All the proceeds she 'might' make from a movie should be given to Ms. Gonzalez as part of her civil case. Didn't OJ have to turn over all his royalties? As part of her release, they should have had her tubes tied.

July 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAL

OJ gave over his royalties to pay back money owed by a lost civil case. You don't just start giving money before the case is heard. Also we don't have punishments or requirements to free people from prison that weren't found guilty of any crime.

July 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. CAL

You ever notice people complain how stupid the jurors are and how we need to change the legal system every time a case doesn't go they way they want, but when they get called for jury duty they do everything they can to get out of it?

July 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anafiel

This case has reinforced my commitment to serve, if for no other reason to make sure that this never happens again. I'm not so easily swayed that I would vote against my better judgement just because there are a couple of loud-mouths on the panel. No way, no how. That would of been a hung jury if I'd been on that panel.

July 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dld322

Now we all know how to commit an "almost perfect" murder, "unload" your child – your responsibility, and then go on to become a "rich celebrity" – Bad behavior is rewarded once again – this time at the expense of the life of a child. It's shameful what our society has become!

July 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Shamrock6

She's just a mixed up young lady. She'll be ok in a few years.

July 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • florence

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you if that's how you think

July 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • JuleS

And I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you!

July 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • dld322

Not without God she won't!

July 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • virtualgd

She will get her pay back in due time. Her disgusting smirks at the sentencing shows her guilt and I really don't think anyone in their right mind will ever want to associate with her. I would think her personal safety is also at risk.

July 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. florence

I think she has stepped in a pile of poo and is probably so pleased with herself with getting away with murder but it is hard to step out of it once you've gone so deep...her friends hate her and she has a following of idiots and she can't go anywhere than no one knows her..she can't party publicly cause someone will be looking for her and the Enquirer can chase down anyone 🙂 she has ruined her dads reputation and killed their precious grandaughter and her child who loved her unconditionally so really I find it hard to think she has gotten away with anything..if thats free who would want it? she has even made a jury look like morons.

July 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • JuleS

I wish more than anything that I could believe she'll suffer for this the rest of her life, but after a few months or a year no one will remember her for what she did. And it's blatantly obvious she will NEVER feel any remorse for her crime; she's such a sorry piece of s**t she'll figure that since she was acquitted, what she did wasn't really so bad after all....

July 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. regnarg

her and lindsey L. could be roommates

July 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • JuleS

If I were LIndsay L. I'd slap you down for even suggesting a comaraderie. LL is messed up but she's no child murderer.

July 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAL

Neither is Casey. She was found not guilty. I thought that's what everybody was worked up about.

July 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anafiel

Cal, she was found not guilty by a panel of morons. Not guilty does NOT mean innocent.

July 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAL

Yeah, but explain to me how "NOT GUILTY"=guilty.

July 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Common Sense no longer exists.....clearly

My post name says it all.

July 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jake

Where's Dexter when you need him?

July 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • regnarg

come out come out wherever you are

July 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. diogee

People don't tell lies unless they have something to hide. And Casey told some whoppers. The common sense question would be why? What did she have to hide? And given the fact that her child was missing for 30 days before she told anyone, well it's pretty obvious she was hoping that the evidence would disappear before she got caught. Every lie she told leads back to the question she was asked over and over–where is Caylee? If she really didn't know, why didn't she just say so? I think the jury did a grave injustice in the outcome of this trial. Everything that Casey did and said pointed straight at guilty. I honestly don't know how her parents will ever forgive her. I think that she is a monster.

July 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Caylee DID get justice

Why does it seem that most of the people here screaming about the verdict come off as religious wacko's with to much free time?

July 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Common Sense no longer exists.....clearly

I should slap the h_ll out of you for that post name alone. You and Baez. How dare you? How could she EVER have justice until her killer is put behind bars? Sadly, she will NEVER get justice, because her killer is protected by double jeopardy laws.

You people and your made up, taught, and practiced disciplines have taken the place of morality and common sense. It's so sad...this world we live in. We are obviously LOST. With your chests poked out all because of a law WE created. Who's to say that what we consider "proof" and what we consider "a hunch" has the right bearing and meaning? You mean to tell me, just because I pass something and say "from now on, all red shirts will be called blue" and I go to doing just that, that I'm right because I followed the law? The shirt is still red, for Pete's sake! You high and mighty "justice system defenders" are KILLING ME! I guarantee you, you weren't defending the justice system when OJ got off. None of us were! What's the difference with Casey's @ss?

July 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |