July 12th, 2011

Gator bites boy at park after man lets reptile out

A man at an Indiana amusement park pulled a small alligator out of its enclosure, offered some children the chance to pet it and then fled when the gator bit an 11-year-old boy, police said.

"Someone we're still trying to identify was able to get one of the alligators out," said Sgt. Michael Grennes of the Valparaiso Police Department.

Grennes said the police are investigating Monday's incident and it's unclear what charges, if any, the man may face.

A Valparaiso police incident report said the man took a pole with string attached, which patrons may use to feed gators from a distance, to create a noose and pull out an alligator. After fishing the reptile out of its enclosure, the man told some children they could pet the alligator, the report said.

"The alligator snipped at one of the fingers of one of the kids that was there," Grennes said.

According to the police report, the boy was injured on his right index finger. Grennes said the injury was not serious.

Grennes said a woman believed to have been with the man at the time has since said she cannot identify him.

"She continues to tell us she doesn't know who he is," Grennes said.

The Valparaiso park, called Zao Island, is a small family entertainment center that includes go-karts and mini golf  as well as the live alligators.

Post by:
Filed under: Alligators • Indiana
  1. Mad Hatter

Let's get back to the blog subject which is the gator bite.

July 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Blondie~

I have NOT heard about the police officer in Colorado abusing all the children? Why? Possible that it won't generate enough ratings and cash! But wait, maybe if they get a catchy TV name for the Police officer like "Fun with my Gun" Cop and have a little theme song playing every time they get ready to "report" the story or just get nutty Nancy Grace to go on and on about it! How come we haven't heard more about the victims of that horrible killing spree where 11-12 people were killed including the killers own 12 year old daughter a week or two ago? Why just certain stories? Its so sad and so sickening. ~Blondie~

July 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HRH banasy

I attacked no-one on this blog, Jazzzzz.
    Anyone who knows me at all knows I wouldn't write that about you.
    I can also disagree with aspects of a subject but still agree with the totality of a subject, as I have.
    Am I to believe that all police are peds, because this one is?
    Of course not.
    Same thing with priests.

Philip, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
    Beware that you don't lose sight of the forrest for the trees.
    Don't attack me faith because you've lost yours.

And no, I will *not* shut the hell up.

One of the biggest pet peeves I have is when intelligent people get mad at me when I don't automatically agree with every word they utter.
    I am no-one's "yes man".
    If this means you don't want to be my friend, so be it.

I'll still surround myself with smart, funny people.
    You just won't be one of them.

July 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I'll be your friend, banasy.. Or queen.. Or whatever you wanna call yourself.. I don't care how nuts you may or may not be.. You crack me so consistently up 😀

July 12, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gator bators.....

.....are not real smart.

July 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Philip plainly hates...

...Catholic people.

July 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  6. HRH banasy

Hi, leeintulsa.

Ah, I've got no worries...it's not what was said to me *online* anyway...

I just am a stubborn 'lil fart, and I cannot abide people telling me what to do or say.
    That's sooooo phony!

And I'm glad I amuse you...
    Glad I can make you laugh!
    I crack *myself* up consistently, too!
    I'm a fan of me. 😉

July 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. HRH banasy

And we're *all* just a little bit crazy...
    Some are just more so than others!
    I'll leave it up to you where I lie...

July 12, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. The Pope

Don't ah worry.. We ah release da gators every once in a while to ah bring ah people closer to da Lord.. Nothing brings a man to our false prophet like a litter terror..

July 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Catholic Priest

@ philip you r not even as smart as u think u are ,all the s**t u babble on cnn u did'nt even go to school for ,you just find it on the net and then post what u read as if u are an einstien when in reality u are a worthless waste of flesh ,now get over here and let me wash u of your blasphemy , u sinner this is goona hurt u alot more than it will me !!!! Now grab the bed post and spread'em u sinful pitiful inbred b*****d!!!! Cause papa is gonna show u what a real botty bumper can do !!! U little piece of crap!!! So i can wash away your sinfulness ,oh and btw i did your sister ,mother ,and niece all in one confession session , so dont be a whimp !!! Ad if u have to bite on the pillow while i get down to business on your booty u whimpy sac of crap!!!!!

July 12, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Yes Father ! Please forgive me for I have sinned ! Uhhuuhhaauauh uah !! That does'nt even hurt father ! It actually feels good ! U can go deeper if you want to ! Uhhuuahhaauauhh uuaahh hh !! Give it to me father !!!

July 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr sandyk

Hate to hear that kind of stuff about another officer, we catch all kinds of stuff anyway. this is one time I wish his fellow officers would have had the b/a/lls to take care of it.

July 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kourtnie

They don't know what to charge him with? How about reckless endangerment? Child neglect? Something has to fit. He's obviously deranged.

July 13, 2011 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. gung hoe

CAn anybody spell multimillion dollar lawsuit ahhh yepper uncle jed i went shootin fur sum food and up from da ground came a bubblin crude gold that is

July 13, 2011 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  14. joann

There,are some screwy people in the world.But,this one takes the cake.I,would never have children,pet an alligater,I don't care how big or small it was.What,was this guy thinking anyhow.He,needs Jesus and bad. JoAnn Bartholomew

July 13, 2011 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

I don't hate Catholics. I hate what gay Catholic priests do to our young boys, and I hate the fact that they've been getting away with it for centuries. The authorities of various nations are slow to prosecute because of the invaluanle service the church has been performing for them. Priest's lure young men onto the battlefield of war just as surely as they lure them downstairs for a raypeing, making the maintaining of a military force easier for any nation. Catholic priest's dangle the reward of heavenly life just as surely as Muslim's dangle 72 virgins...enticeing young men to die for various nations...whatever nation they happened to be born in. This worldwide church sponsored recruitment service that the Church has been performing for various nations for centuries is running out of steam. With the advent of corporate armies, governments will have little use for the Church. The Church will fall.

July 13, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |