UK lawmakers want to question Murdoch over phone hacking
Media magnate Rupert Murdoch is driven Tuesday to his London apartment, photographers in pursuit.
July 12th, 2011

UK lawmakers want to question Murdoch over phone hacking

British lawmakers investigating a phone hacking scandal Tuesday asked media baron Rupert Murdoch, his son James, and former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks to testify before them, hours after former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown accused their newspaper group of illegally obtaining private information about him.

Parliament's Culture, Media and Sport Committee asked the three to appear next Tuesday, July 19, a representative told CNN.

"Senior executives" of Murdoch's British newspaper company "will cooperate," News International said in a statement, without specifying names.

If the Murdochs and Brooks do not answer the summons, parliament can compel them to do so, Labour lawmaker Chris Bryant - who believes he is a hacking victim - said on Twitter.

Brown Tuesday accused Murdoch's newspapers of having "links with criminals" as he spoke to the BBC about allegations the Sunday Times illegally obtained private information about him.

Brown accused the paper of getting his bank details, saying he was "genuinely shocked" by its methods.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Media
  1. michaelfury

July 12, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • michaelfury

July 12, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

They hacked into a missing girls cellphone and deleted messages as authorities were searching for her. They hampered and impeded an ongoing investigation, and should be charged accordingly. The girl was found dead btw, and so whatever the charges were going to be, multiply them by 10. Every single one of these sick sociopaths should get at least 10 years hard labor, no parole.

July 12, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Including YOU Rupert, King of Dirty Laundry.

July 12, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

Including The King of Dirty Laundry, Rupert Murdoch.

July 12, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Young Gun

"Sorry, Billy, I was just hackin' on ya'. Who'd you kill?" "Some guy who was hackin' on me."

July 12, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. RUFFNUTT

my phione gets hacked all the time... i hate you att!!!

July 12, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

This Media Czar has had it good for a long while.
    Time of his reckoning cometh – I hope.

July 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

You aren't a missing child. Who cares if the sociopaths hack you.

July 12, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. HRH banasy

Ok, Philip, I get your point, and I agree with you, but do you have to be so flipping nasty to other posters?

Somebody pee in your Cheerios today?

July 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • credit maison

Personally, I actually do much like the name, I do believe it’s form of neat. I believe it’s a little easier to say. I think they may be being very in keeping with a few i connect with them whenever the price preceding the name.But, much like whatever else, everybody has their own individual preferences. Each to his own, It's my job to say. What’s your decision?

September 4, 2011 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

You accuse me? he he. THAT's a good one. Just where did I get so "flipping nasty" with someone? And you call THAT "nasty"? After all the slime that get's posted here, you jump on THAT? (and just exactly what is "THAT" banasy?)

July 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HRH banasy

"You aren’t a missing child. Who cares if the sociopaths hack you."

Because someone is not a missing child doesn't give their life any less meaning, Philip.
    And yes, I jump on that, because you aren't one of the ignorant ones who post their filth.
    Or so I thought.
    What, precisely, am I guilty of here?
    Your double-entendres are rather baffling me.
    He he.

July 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The MĂĄd RĂĄp3r

Rupe is going to get owned like its going out of style for all this. Becky Brooks is barely holding on by her teeth. Wait until they tell Andy he'll do years in jail and he starts squawking about who knew what when. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of nĂĽtsĂĄcks.

July 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Wrong. Sociopathic hacking-into a missing childs cellphone is by an order of magnitude more heinous than spying on a pothead. Get a clue.

July 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Blogson

It's about grandstanding for the home folks – the supposed intent of U.K. parliamentarians to question Rupert Murdoch. As with the enquiries into how the U.K. Parliament and people were bamboozled into invading Iraq, the questioning of Murdoch almost certainly will be "much ado about nothing."

July 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. HRH banasy

Typical over-reaction from a person who gets extremely angry when one disagrees with his pontifications.
    Get a grip!
    You're not the be-all to end-all in *my* world, thankfully!

July 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |