Obama administration asks court to reconsider 'don't ask, don't tell' order
July 14th, 2011

Obama administration asks court to reconsider 'don't ask, don't tell' order

The Obama administration Thursday evening asked a federal appeals court to reconsider its order last week blocking the U.S. military from enforcing its "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays and lesbians serving in the military.

U.S. officials have been moving ahead with dismantling the policy but had objected to having the courts force the government to officially repeal it at this time.

At issue in the complex legal fight is whether "don't ask, don't tell" can remain in effect - even in name only - while the legal fight over its constitutionality is being carried out in the federal courts. Judges have been at odds over the enforcement issue for months.

The case has put the Obama administration in an unusual position of supporting a repeal, but at the same time filing court motions to prevent it from happening faster than planned. Military officials suggest the policy compliance changes eliminating "don't ask, don't tell" could be finished in a few weeks.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Don't Ask Don't Tell • Politics
  1. The Big D

Good night, gung hoe.

July 15, 2011 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
    • TYJ143 INC.

Big D means Biggest Boldest Baddest Defender on the planet, D.D.

July 15, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip the Marlowe

G'nite hoe.

July 15, 2011 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. WOT

While you are at it repeal the 13th amendment! Then we can close all the prisons in America!

July 15, 2011 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

Good nite jazzzz cesar phillip and all yall

July 15, 2011 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. JB

I want to say to that punk Justin I'm gonna get him.... The lord and I are very angry. U trashin my Mom?.....I'm bustin yo face... Sissy boy.... me n my boys are lookin for u b%tc$.....

July 15, 2011 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Bon jour! Guten Morgen! Buon giorno!
    Non sono stato qui ieri sera: il mio telefono non funzionava affatto.

July 15, 2011 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I did write the first post here last night.
    Also, I hope that the President finds a tie for the news conference at eleven, as I wrote that as well on another topic.
    It's not pleasant to stand alone on some of these issues. I'm very fond of some of you with whom I sometimes disagree...even Hagen, whom I understand.

July 15, 2011 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I'm off to the gym–only working deltoids today, and 25 minutes of aerobics.
    I shopped yesterday morning for steak, and the butcher had lowered some of his NASA-inspired prices. Maybe he saw that nobody could or would pay that much.
    I'm unwilling to live on grass: I eat cows, and that's the extent of our relationship.

July 15, 2011 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

One last thought before I'm out the door:
    Everybody is complaining that he can't find a job.
    If you can't, ask yourself what you can really do.
    One of my biggest concerns right now is continuing to meet the requirements for employment of a key employee. She provides something that will be almost impossible to replace in this city.
    If a person brings a lot of almost unique products to the market, it's unlikely that he'll be unable to sell it.
    A piece of paper, even a doctorate, from a university means absolutely nothing to me when I'm trying to find somebody who can do a job.

July 15, 2011 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  10. Pedro

Senor Joey? Me no gotty papers! Maybe jous hab a yob por mees? Is OK. Pedro understandings crampy styles of Joey. Adios amigo.

July 15, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ fernace:
    Grazie a te. Non sapevo la parole "bootay."

July 15, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Pity–my story prompted by Philip's prom adventure didn't make the cut.

July 15, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Joey, I had some trouble posting my prom story too. Try leaving out any mention of purple polyester shirts, big hair, platform shoes or bell-bottoms. If that doesn't get by CNN's censorship, pretend like your prom date's name was Billy or Bobby. That'll get some post.

July 15, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. @Philip

@ your prom "what not to wear": LMAO!!!

July 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |