July 14th, 2011

Thursday's live video events

Television's best are named as the White House and Congress continue to battle over the debt ceiling.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage on these stories.

Today's programming highlights...

8:30 am ET - Emmy nominations announced - Actors Joshua Jackson and Melissa McCarthy unveil the nominations for the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards.

9:30 am ET - Senate considers debt ceiling - Senators resume debate on the possibility of raising the debt ceiling and avoiding default.

10:00 am ET - Bernanke returns to Capitol Hill - For the second time in as many days, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke testifies on the state of the U.S. economy and the debt crisis.

1:00 pm ET - White House briefing - The debt ceiling debate is expected to dominate Jay Carney's briefing with the White House press corps.

1:15 pm ET - Boehner weekly briefing - House Speaker John Boehner has been critical of recent debt ceiling negotiations.  Expect more of the same when he speaks with reporters today.

2:00 pm ET - Betty Ford tribute service - Lawmakers of the past and present are expected to converge on Grand Rapids, Michigan, to say a final farewell to former first lady Betty Ford.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Budget • Dollars & Sense • Economy • Showbiz • TV
  1. JB

Hey priest, my mama is excited, she's jumping and wiggling her ass. She needs it bad. No money down. Just "fuc n go".

July 14, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. just watching

Ttt

July 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. just watching

???

July 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Christine Ferreira

I have a mom who is 69 who collects soc. sec(which makes up mostly all of her income she lives off of), and I collect SSDI(which makes up most of the money I live off off) and both my husband (age52) and I (age 48) were asking if there will be, first, continual pay to both my mom and I now, (thru her soc. sec and thru my SSDI) and do you believe there will be any money, or enough money to be able to keep up the expenses of a home, thru soc. sec by the time my husband and I reach the age of retirement. Do you think either or both of soc. sec or SSDI will be decreased due to our deficit?. It's so sad that you can start working at the age of 16 1/2 and work (for my husband, his entire life, )then not have a definate program that has been promised to you in, at least some sufficient way. I know that soc. sec. was made initially to enhance someone's either income or investment/savings, but we all know the high percentage of people who don't have much in the way of a "nest egg", so most of us are looking to soc. security for more than it was created for so many years ago. It would be so much easier to actually know what we have coming to us when we are planning our future. Thank you.

July 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlene Lutes

That money your mom has was mandatory that she contribute to that fund. Therefore, it is her money, not the government's.

July 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Juan Banuelos

@Christine: I can fuc your mother and give her 50 buks. If she blows me I give her an extra 20. Just send me the invoice to: Juan Banuelos 349 E main st..Bronx NY.

July 14, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlene Lutes

You must be a liberal with that kind of language. So if you go to higher education, you might graduate from being an animal to becoming a citizen.

July 14, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Juan Banuelos

@Christine, baby don't worry, its confidential, I can do you to. I can share with you 500 a month.

July 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jim

Charlene Lutes: try telling that to Rush and most of the Republicans in congress who want to cut "enti tlements", since when did social security become an "enti tlement" anyway-welfare yes that's an enti tlement.

July 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |