Atlanta teachers accused in cheating scandal told to resign or be fired
Atlanta Public School Superintendent Erroll Davis Jr. signed the letters.
July 15th, 2011

Atlanta teachers accused in cheating scandal told to resign or be fired

The superintendent of the Atlanta Public School system has issued an ultimatum to 178 teachers implicated in one of the nation's largest school cheating scandals: resign or be fired.

Interim Superintendent Erroll Davis Jr. signed the letters, which were sent Thursday, to educators named in a report as either confessing to or being implicated in "testing improprieties," Atlanta Public School spokesman Keith Bromery said.

The letters gave teachers the opportunity to resign Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, Bromery said. If teachers don't
resign, the district plans to initiate termination proceedings.

Dozens of Atlanta public school educators falsified standardized tests or failed to address such misconduct in their schools, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said a week ago. He was unveiling the results of a state investigation that confirmed widespread cheating in city schools dating as far back as 2001.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Education • Georgia
  1. MDC

What we have here is a failure to educate. God (or somebody) help America!

July 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian

Teacher's unions have ruined education in America

July 15, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sqeptiq

Mr Davis is one of the few real leaders in this country. Good for him.

July 15, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • APSteacher1

Agreed!! He is rocking it! I so wish he could be the permanent superintendent!!

July 15, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. KBinMN

I hope there are no financial benefits to resigning versus being terminated. If there is then they should all just be term'd.

July 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • chad

Ya I hope they don't get unemployment

July 15, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mangagirl

Why do they even get a choice...they should've been automatically fired!

July 15, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. rdg18

I don't know what all the fuss is about since all liberals cheat. Cheating is just the norm for them.

July 15, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Why would you think they are all liberal? Not very probable.

July 15, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

That's one of the most idiotic statements I've ever heard.

July 15, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff

I think all our tchrs want to do a good job, but teachers only have a small amount of influence over the student's learning. Truth is – students who care have parents who care. These tchrs just got caught trying to work the system. (BTW-how many of those financial investors were forced to resign?)

July 15, 2011 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

You're wrong. Not ALL teachers want to do a good job. Just like any other profession, there are a certain amount who just are looking for a paycheck because they'd have a hard time doing anything else. These teachers were not looking out for the students, they were covering there own asses. I hate to say this because I'm a teacher myself and I often see teachers who really don't care about learning their subject matter better so they can teach better. They just want to get through the week.

July 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Juan Banuelos Sword Swallower Professional

Every school should be investigated. The one I went to had teachers trying to nail drunken students on Spring Break instead of actually chaperon the kids. Rome is burning and it seems it may fall sooner rather than later. People are too busy playing humpee ball and drinking beer.

July 15, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Kevin

I taught social studies in a Philly high school for four years and I gotta say, my students did very poorly on the PSSAs taken in 8 and 11th grade for math reading and writing, but the results were genuine. I worked too hard to earn my degree and certification to teach to turn around and throw my entire career in the trash by falsifying any kind of state mandated test. That is just foolish.

July 15, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Kevin, as a teacher myself, I commend you. It's never easy to see students fail. But we can't "make" them pass. All we can do is try to improve our methods and do a better job the next time and hope that student, parents and administrators feel the same way. We can't fix the educational system in the United States overnight.

July 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saambooo

If you have a sewer in your city where peoples poop goes look down in there and you might find atlanta.

July 15, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Realitychecker

It's called "DUE PROCESS", The teachers deserve that. Perhaps they were forced to change answers by the ever present administrators whose inflated salaries are a direct result of HIGH test scores. Don't be so quick to blame the troops in the trenches. I would look beyond the smokescreen and start with the administrators at the top who foster this climate in order to achieve their own goals-namely the over the top salaries of administrators and supervisors. The administrators sure would like to sweep this under the rug as soon as possible in order to perhaps protect others further up the food chain.

July 15, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Oh. The old "I was just following orders" excuse. Right.

July 15, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ralk

Fire the whole lot of them.

July 15, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nvrstraight

NCLB is what ruined teaching. I don't agree with the cheating of test scores-it is wrong. But does anyone here understand that funding towards a school is based on test scores? Without great test scores, the school receives absolutely no FUNDING, I am tired of students getting cheated by the GOVT based on test scores. These tests in no way require students to critically think, they require students to fill in bubbles. That is how our children's education is measured.

July 15, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NotSoSilent Observer

I dont get it. In Illinois where I am certified, if you are caught doing something like this you lose your certification period. There is no option to resign from your job, you just cant teach anymore. At least that is how it has been explained to me.

July 15, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • APSteacher1

That's how it should be everywhere!

July 15, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mary Johnson

Is ignorance truly bliss?

July 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pacific Rim

@Mary J: Are you related to Magic? Just curious..

July 15, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ignorance is not bliss

Jose' you are only saying that because you are hiding behind a computer. Bring that talk to SW Atlanta and you'll get knocked the hell out.

July 15, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |