Atlanta teachers accused in cheating scandal told to resign or be fired
Atlanta Public School Superintendent Erroll Davis Jr. signed the letters.
July 15th, 2011

Atlanta teachers accused in cheating scandal told to resign or be fired

The superintendent of the Atlanta Public School system has issued an ultimatum to 178 teachers implicated in one of the nation's largest school cheating scandals: resign or be fired.

Interim Superintendent Erroll Davis Jr. signed the letters, which were sent Thursday, to educators named in a report as either confessing to or being implicated in "testing improprieties," Atlanta Public School spokesman Keith Bromery said.

The letters gave teachers the opportunity to resign Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, Bromery said. If teachers don't
resign, the district plans to initiate termination proceedings.

Dozens of Atlanta public school educators falsified standardized tests or failed to address such misconduct in their schools, Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal said a week ago. He was unveiling the results of a state investigation that confirmed widespread cheating in city schools dating as far back as 2001.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Education • Georgia
  1. pedro

Teachers are mean and eat doodoo. Especially the ones that give homework. They are real doodoo weenie touchers that eat doodoo.

July 16, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pedro

Plus did I mention that teachers are doodoo weenie munchers? They should fire all of the teachers then it would be summertime all year long ! No winter or fall. Just good summertime ! Teachers are doodoo heads.

July 16, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. pedro

Teachers ruin everything. They make everyone unhappy. They are evil evil lazy doodoo doodoos.

July 16, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. HRH banasy

Administrators need to actually sit in a classroom if they want to see what is going on in them.
    Too many of them look at the bottom line, and many students get lost by the wayside.
    I have posted my feelings on the educational system where I live before;
    I do not care to re-hash them, nor do I care to get my blood pressure up again.
    Suffice to say, I'm not a fan of the public school system in my town.
    That being said, it would not surprise me at all if this happened in my town; there are many things that are not quite kosher there.
    I am glad my youngest is almost out of it.

July 16, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. CSnSC

Greetings YRH, my youngest has one more year in hs also. We have had very few complaints about the schools here. Upstate SC is an amazing place to raise kids today. Tried it in the coastal part of the state and it was a nightmare. The students there will never be up to any national standard. Breaks my heart to say that, 'The Water is Wide' is one of my favorite novels.

July 16, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff Frank ( R - OHIO )

So somebody that should of failed, got an A. How many other towns cheat?

July 16, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Apparently, some in Ohio

"should *have failed"

July 17, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. leeintulsa

Let me see if i have this right. The teachers 'adjusted' standardized tests to make the kids look smarter. Doesn't government money ride on those scores? The grades have to be a certain level to receive government funding.

That being the case, shouldn't there be criminal charges? Don't they call it fraud?

A) the teachers should be prosecuted, and B) the school should have to refund all the government money received that was based on the tests since what, 2001?

July 16, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. gumby

The children will be the ones getting the short end of the stick. Education is important to our future!!!!

July 17, 2011 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

The future is here.
    See: Debt.

July 17, 2011 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. pedro

They need a paddling !

July 17, 2011 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

Parents spend more time, energy, and MONEY aquiring for their very own children not textbooks, not learning-aids...but video games. Imagine if all the funds flushed down just the extra-violent video toilet were applied to education. We would have the brightest children on earth!

July 17, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

I'm not demonizing parents. I'm simply reminding them that they are is debt and can no longer afford both education AND violent video for their kids. I know it's a tough choice, but something's gotta give.

July 17, 2011 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  13. Chad Williams

Ignorant Liberals

July 17, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. HRH banasy

NCLB, which I believe was the motive behind this, was a Republican thing, remember, Chad?
    Must one use any excuse to bash the party they're not affiliated with?

July 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gung hoe

Sounds to me like theres a bunch of sports jocks that needed passing grades and its the teachers that take the hit for it

July 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |