July 15th, 2011

Friday's live video events

President Obama will address the nation once again on America's debt ceiling crisis.  Watch CNN.com Live for continuing coverage on this developing story.

Today's programming highlights...

8:00 am ET - Casey Anthony defamation suit hearing - A hearing is held in a Florida court in regards to Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez's defamation suit against Casey Anthony.

10:15 am ET - Debt ceiling impact hearing - Lawmakers will unveil legislation that intends to prevent the U.S. from defaulting on its debt if a debt ceiling deal is not reached.

11:00 am ET - Obama news conference - President Obama holds a briefing on efforts to reach a deal on the debt ceiling and budget cuts.

4:00 pm ET - NASA shuttle briefing - NASA officials update the public on the final mission of the space shuttle program.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • Casey Anthony • Crime • Dollars & Sense • Economy • Politics
  1. Dee Crooks

I am a senior and a cancer survivor I have paid into S>S> my whole life and any savins I has was used to fight my cancer.I am and independent but I am so mad at the tea party and GOP and Eric Canter right now. Do they not realize how frighten we all are. I live from check to check not because I want to but out of nescessity..I am from Oh. the same as the speaker but I now realize they do not care. I did not think I would say this but the dems seem to have are best interest at heart. My quistion is will congress still get paid andhave al their little perks if we default? President Obama I am very proud of you. You are starting to make a dem out of me! PLEASE SETTLE GOP..No other president has had to go thru this. andI tink the way they treat him is terrinle. It's fime if you don't like him, but respect the office he holds.

July 15, 2011 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandra Joyce

I live on a fixed income also, but we need to stop spending spending spending!!! Printing more money will not help any of us. We need job creation so more people are paying into the system. Only companies can create jobs, not the govt. Thanks

July 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Harry Ocasio

I'd like to revisit the question of jurors capitalizing on cases like Casey Anthoney's (I hope this gets read because I can't find the specific blog for this topic).

I say it should be illegal to cash in because:

Let's assume that a member of the jury starts to think about to the case as a lotto ticket where he/she can potentially affect it's (the ticket) value (I am sure that in today's society no one would be surprised at how many members of any jury of our peers would think this way). So now this member's decision can simply be swayed by "...the route route of all evil". The juror is now weighing what can possibly make this ticket's value skyrocket. Options: 1. Guilty verdict 2. Innocent 3. What if I am the one juror who would have hung the jury by saying she's guilty? CHA CHING $$$. In this case (Casey Anthoney's) hanging the jury would probably be the desired result if money is a factor. FOOD FOR THOUGHT (enjoy your breakfast 🙂

July 15, 2011 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. CSnSC

Yep, Harry, bit off topic. But truly food for thought.

July 15, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. CSnSC

I think you just gave me novel to write

July 15, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. bob

@dee crooks: assuming you're not a troll, the answer to your question is yes congress will still get paid and get their outrageous benefits there are no discussions currently in the works by either dems or repubs doing away with lifetime health care and salaries, even in retirement, form people who serve in congress even if it's only for one term they're guaranteed these benefits for life. Outrageous beyond any sense of the imagination, the current crop of repubs should be absolutely ashamed of themselves not for trying to keep the debt ceiling down but for not addressing the real issue that is causing our financial problem which is military spending(1.2 trill. a year not including the funding for the wars) that's 100x more than every other country combined spends on their military. BTW medicare and social security along with all other forms of financial aid only accounts for 600 billion a year so claiming social security and medicare is our main financial problem is a lot of bull sh!t.

July 15, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Samdromeda

When the music is over turn out the lights. Shut down the grid and people will work only from sunup to sunset. Businesses will install skylights and solar powered systems. People powered generators will contribute to local grids for each city. Obesity will disappear. Felons will work off their debt to society by working in the people powered generators and working on the city farms and hydroponic gardens. The deficit would disappear as we export people powered technologies. Larger families would be in vogue for national stability. People powered transportation would reduce gridlock and road rage. Cures would be mandated and treatments outlawed. No more mandatory healthcare or bailing out insurance companies. No more war on drugs. Everyone will know the proper use of every herb because they will be taught this before they graduate from high school and will also be taught this by their parents. No more taxes as everyone will willingly contribute to government for the benefit of others. Back to the basics and the beauty of simplicity, saneness and real security as One Nation Under God.

July 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bob

For people, sorry

July 15, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. Juan Banuelos

@bob: can you share some money with my family? We are poor, I'm with the NYPD. I'm sick of watching mama suc. For a few dollars I can send you a nice pic of my mothers ass. Please be a gentleman and buy a couple, you won't regret it.

July 15, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. bob

Sorry juan but bob's a fake name just to through you off.

July 15, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Sandra Joyce:
    As soon as a company needs somebody to do something, it hires somebody.
    Please explain to me why, in your opinion, a company should "create" a job if it doesn't need any work done.
    Do you think that companies exist to help people find jobs?
    Do you realize that companies exist to make money?

July 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |