Gotta Watch: It's a zoo out there
This pet pig is the source of controversy in a Texas neighborhood.
July 15th, 2011

Gotta Watch: It's a zoo out there

The news seems like it's just full of animals. When you read the headlines, it can feel like you're in a zoo. So we thought we'd give you a break with some animals you actually may enjoy. You've gotta watch these cuddly, charismatic and lucky creatures.

Saving Mia – Would you spend $30,000 to save your dog? One couple has spared no expense to save its tiny chihuahua with a cleft palate.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/07/15/pkg.dog.cleft.surgery.ynn"%5D

Free Willy – A rescued whale shows its appreciation by doing back flips and waving its tail.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/07/15/exp.am.whale.sea.cortez.cnn "]

Kitty’s nine lives – This should give credence to the old adage that cats always land on their feet. One kitty took a 20-story fall and survived with barely a scratch.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/07/14/dnt.cat.falls.20.story.building.WCBS "]

Nothing to snort at – A family fights to keep its pet pig, but its HOA is putting up a stink.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/07/14/dnt.family.fights.for.pig.KHOU "]

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Gotta Watch
  1. bachmanntwit

You forgot your zip code.

July 15, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • bachmanntwit

Hey, that's a pretty nice picture of Bristol Palin at the top of the page. She must be going on DWTS again.

July 15, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Han Solo (retired and paid off Jabba, actually I'm not even into the whole "sword fighting" thing)

@bachmantwit: Really? Still playing the partisan "attack the family" card? 1) It wasn't even funny and I don't really care for Sarah Barracuda. 2) Hillary isn't exactly getting many calls, nor did she ever. 3) Unless you're a paid member of the Democratic party you should find some new material.

July 15, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. florencia

Bristol Palin <--lmao!

but now she is got her chin fixed.... lol

July 15, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. wilbur

Keep Wilbur people!!!

July 15, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. Andrew Friet

bachmanntwit
    That is actually a picture of your mother

July 15, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • bachmanntwit

Does your trailer park manager know you're playing with his computer again today?

July 15, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |

@Andrew: Ignore bachmantwit. He/she is the other half of the problem in our country. They belong to the same party that elected Stuart Smalley, yet bashes Palin. I'm no Palin fan either, but honestly this story has nothing to do with her..... Or Bristol for that matter. I've seen many good comedians and bachmantwit is not one of them. If I had my choice I'd send all the partisan morons to some third world country so they could start their own re ta reed society and leave us alone.

July 15, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fernace

Animals are nicer than most people, deftly illustrated by these posts! Maybe humans belong in a zoo?!?

July 15, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

Slaughterhouse Five was a good book.

July 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mamudoon

The older I get, the more I believe that this whole world is a giant zoo.

July 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ben

WHY would you spend 30,000 on your dog I LOVE dogs and have had 3 but if the situation is that bad sometimes its best to let the dog go. My last dog had epilpsy and we tried MANY diffrent treatments and many medications but when she was having seizures all the time we put her down as it was no life for her.

July 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patrish

I also had to put a dog to sleep when it was time. It was sad, but the RIGHT thing to do. These are selfish people, – it's not about the little dog, but about their ego. A dog deserves a dogs life comfortable and free from pain. You can't tell that dog is happy or comfortable. That $30,000 could have been donated to animal welfare groups in his name. In my book, they could easily be charged with animal cruelty. Stupid people!!

July 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Don't care because....

....my dogs are fine.

July 15, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kim

I would of rather heard thes stories then to have to hear read or see anymore stories about that crazy mess in florida with that casey anthony case. I rather read a animal story.

July 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Why, why, why.....

....did you bring up that psyco, kim?

July 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mlong

Wilbur is beautiful. He is not harming anyone. Leave him alone.

July 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. See

I guess this one nosy neighbor sees it as a slippery slope: today cute little potbelly pigs, tomorrow wild boars. Today a Labrador retriever, tomorrow a wolf. Today a Siamese cat, tomorrow a Bengal tiger. Where will the madness end???

July 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

The problem with pigs as pets is they start as cute, small and huggable. Then they grow into large, often irritable, smelly animals that produce a huge amount waste (they excrete six times a day or more). Few of the "pot belly pigs" people buy in the US are full-bred pot bellies. Instead of the mini pig people expect, they end up with a huge animal they no longer want. And it ends up being discarded.

July 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Queen

Those people who spent 30,000 are the type that wouldn't help fund a deserving person with obtaining a new kidney or heart...
    Save the dog, screw the humans.

July 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

@Queen - You have no idea what those people do with their money or time. How dare you criticize! It's their money. They earned it. Using the same "logic" you used, you must be the kind of person who spends all his/her money on his/herself because you aren't in Haiti at this very minute digging pits for septic tanks. Your comment is idiotic.

July 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Queen

@See:
    I guess that's one way of putting it....

Sort of like "I have a headache...must be a tumor" kind of thing?

You made me laugh.
    Thanks!

July 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mamudoon

Awwww, Wilbur is adorable! I wish my neighbors had a little pig I could play with. For now, I get to deal with their cute little kittens. 🙂

July 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fiona

The whale clip made my day. Can anyone look at that and doubt that whales are intelligent, emotional animals? Thank you for posting it, CNN.

On spending large amounts of money to save a pet: I've been criticized for spending tens of thousands on critical health care for my dogs. My response is that it's my money, earned honestly, and it's no one's business but my own. The money is of no concern. What is immeasurably important is to keep in mind whether you are doing it for you or for the pet. If you are putting the animal through painful and frightening surgeries and treatments just because you cannot bear to euthanize your pet, then you need to question your motives.

As for the pig, I'd rather have that critter as a neighbor than the human "pigs" I do have.

July 15, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mamudoon

Fiona, your point about whether you're doing it for yourself or your pet is a really good one. I've had guinea pigs for twenty years (not the same pigs, obviously), and while most of them had no problems, we did have a few that had some problems, and we spent hundreds of dollars on them. Our philosophy is that they're living creatures and members of our family, and money should never come between you and caring for your loved ones.

However, there came a point with each of them where we decided that while we would have loved to keep them alive, the quality of life enjoyed by the guinea pig would have been so poor that it would have been inhumane for us to force that on them. Putting down a loved pet is never easy, but you need to remember that THEY are the ones living with the illness, not you. I know that if I had a terminal illness that left me in constant pain, I'd rather be "put down" than forced to stay alive because someone else wants me alive. That's just not right. If the owner needs consolation, they can remember that their pet remembered them as a loving companion and not someone who forced them to live in agony at the end.

July 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |