Overheard on CNN.com: Have Americans forgiven Michael Vick yet?
Michael Vick will head to D.C. in support of legislation to crack down on dogfight spectators.
July 19th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Have Americans forgiven Michael Vick yet?

Comment of the day:

"Michael Vick. A proponent of illegal dog-fighting legislation? That's rich. I don't care how far he can throw a football. He hasn't earned my forgiveness and probably never will.” - cmd5150

Vick goes to Washington

Philadelphia Eagles star quarterback Michael Vick, who was released from prison in 2009 after serving 20 months for a dog-fighting conviction, is continuing to speak out against animal cruelty. Along with the head of the Humane Society of the United States, Vick will speak on Capital Hill about his support of a new bill that aims to strengthen penalties against spectators of dog and cock fights.

So has the public forgiven Vick, or do people think he will never be able to right his wrongs? CNN.com readers were divided:

esteebo said, “[I am] a long-time advocate of animal rights and I am disgusted with comments on here calling him ‘sick’ and ‘trash.’ He did something horrible; he was punished for it and is now taking steps to ensure that others do not make the same mistakes. If a drug dealer went to prison, saw the errors of his ways and started working with inter-city youth to keep them from selling drugs, would we be saying the same thing?”

ness22 responded, “The truth is he was never punished for the torture and murder of dogs – he was sent to jail for gambling. Also, he needs to be ‘contrite’ to keep getting those endorsement deals, like the one he just signed with Nike. If you think he is sorry, I feel sorry that you are so naive. He was flippant and obnoxious about his involvement, showing no remorse until it was obvious he needed to change his tune if he wanted to get paid again. He is a horrible role model and a horrible human being.”

ckbabs said, “I'll be the first to admit that I thought he was a lost cause back when he was caught in this wretched case. I wanted them to throw away the key. But he has absolutely demonstrated a willingness to help fight the good fight. He also shed light on the fact that it was a way of life – kids grow up seeing it from a very young age. He served time and now frequently works with the Humane Society to fight this. He is able to talk to people from neighborhoods that are pretty rough ... I truly hope he continues educating people in those circles.”

mymax said, “Served his time? Vick held a dog as high as he could and repeatedly slammed her to the ground until she died because she did NOT want to fight (just one of the dogs he killed). You don't fix this type of cruelty in two years at a prison where his fellow prison mates probably treated him like a king. You sports fans supporting him only care that he is still a good player. He cancelled his interview with Oprah when he found out the new owners of his [rescued] dogs were also going to be on the show. If he is such a good person now, why run and hide? If Vick had not been caught, he would STILL be killing dogs. That is the fact of the matter.”

TheFinalWerd said, “You all are such hypocrites. On one hand, you hold this non stop hatred for a football player who made a mistake years ago, paid for it and is now trying to right his wrong. On the other hand, you openly cheer for players who have defiled women, stolen, even killed innocent people and have never paid for it! You really want to make a difference? Then go adopt one of the dogs that are victims of this tragedy. Oh wait you don’t want to because they are pit bulls and you think they are vicious dogs anyway? Well then they are getting a needle and dying without big bad Vick around.”

brux73 responded, “Wrong! I did adopt a pit, with scars on her from when someone let her get all bit up by another dog ... my kids were pretty small too at the time, but I knew she was a sweet natured dog the minute I saw her! I love our dog, and my kids love our dog, and if something happened to her I would get another pit in a second. I have helped several of my friends adopt pits too! They are loving sweet pets. Mine sleeps with my little cat every day in the sun together. Nothing vicious about her!

leftyraydy said, “The Problem with This country is the fact that no one can forgive someone. Here's a Man that paid for his crimes and is trying to get back out there and continue his life. He pleaded guilty, went to jail and is trying so hard to make a name for himself again.”

I’m her mom, not her nanny

Rose Arce, a senior producer at CNN and contributor to Mamiverse, is leading the upcoming documentary “In Her Corner – Latino in America” about a Mexican-American amateur boxer. Her recent article about being a mother who is often mistaken for her daughter’s nanny sparked some debate.

Some CNN.com readers empathized with Arce, citing similar experiences, while others couldn’t understand where she was coming from.

mimzywhimzy said, “I am a half Hispanic woman. You're tripping because a two-year-old child called you a babysitter? Get over it. Stop plaguing your daughter with your neurosis and insecurities and focus on raising your daughter to be educated and confident. The only person who has a problem with you being Hispanic is YOU.”

xiaohuaxing said, “If I saw a white looking child with a Hispanic looking woman, I'd think she was a babysitter. If I saw a Hispanic looking child with a white looking woman, I'd still think she was a babysitter. Stop trying to make everybody else look racist. I'm pretty sure the ‘can I get some service?’ thing happens to me in restaurants more times than it happens to you (Chinese here). I always think it's funny.”

cn78 said, “As the white mom of a half Asian child, I'm more often mistaken for the adoptive mom. I'm asked where I got her. Saying "my uterus" usually shuts idiots up. If it's a kid, I'll just explain that her dad and I look very different.”

mkjp responded, “I'd love to know why on earth people think it is any of their freaking business! In what universe is it good manners to ask a stranger where they got their child?”

deepthinker said, “Though some believe that it's not racial, tell that to my black friend whose children are half white and a bit lighter in skin tone. While on an outing, 'caring' folk called the police on him assuming that he kidnapped his own children. Cheers to you Rose for this writing. Some people will get it and others won't.”

toosense said, “This isn't so much because everyone ‘stereotypes’ you. It is because you don't look like your daughter. THAT is why everyone thinks you are the babysitter. We have cleaners; they are white. We have a babysitter; she is white. They don't seem to share the same disgust at their professions that you do. Neither do we.

Female Dems supporting Palin and Bachmann?

The New Agenda is a nonpartisan women's advocacy group that united many women who were disappointed after Hillary Clinton's defeat in 2008. Now they support Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann and believe the women offer the best chance to break the glass ceiling in presidential politics.

The majority of CNN.com commenters said that they did not share the group’s cause:

Joker1984 said, “ ‘Support *any* woman seeking a top political office?’ That's insane. Support only those who are competent, as expressed by the deeds. Hillary Clinton, yes! Kay Bailey Hutchinson, yes. Olympia Snow, yes. Sarah Palin, no. Michelle Bachmann, no. Palin couldn't handle a full term as governor of Alaska. Bachmann spouts empty propaganda and displays an obvious lack of knowledge of American history. America will have a woman President some day, but she'll be a woman of substance, not empty rhetoric.”

IEK responded, “No kidding, it's not an attack on women when Bachmann actually IS a flake. She would be a horrible President and it's shocking that she's even in Congress. There will be other women, better women, to be the first woman President.”

Pembrolelib said, “Treatment of Palin and Bachmann is not sexist. It is deserved since they are totally unqualified, ignorant and not quite sane.”

Nanders said, “I supported Hillary and I am a woman. However I prefer to kill myself before I support a woman like Bachman. In my opinion it’s not the gender that defines her, she is snake.”

1. Hi

I'm not God and I bet Mike will not like meeting his creator. If you hate him so much then boycott the NFL, Mike's supporters and his sponsors. That's the best way to hurt him. Preserve your soul while others sell theirs.

July 19, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jay

Give the guy a break. He served more time than a lot of drug dealers. Get on their case they kill more of our young, destory our home life and do more harm than Vicks dogs and dog fighting will ever do. Until he proves otherwise he paid his price..........

July 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Juan Banuelos

I love the way his mother sucs my dic.

July 19, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mmmmm

God forgives him and that is all what really matters!

July 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ok

How do you know? You mean Jesus? Lol They're two different beings. The guy plays simulated humpppy ball with a suggestive looking ball that's called a pigskin and he's essentially the p. I. M. P. That passes it around to a bunch of other guys while a bunch of guys try to stop him. I always laugh when guys point up after they "score" like god cares about this sport. Its the Bachelorette for men.. gross. Maybe you're right, but just because Roger Goodell has good in his name doesn't make him any type of deity. Lol Nobody knows whether god has forgiven him or not. Unless of course you're god which I doubt.

July 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

@Ok. I said what I meant, you added Jesus which indicates you do have some concept of the Judeo-Christian understanding of forgiveness.

July 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ok

I was saying Jesus isn't the gatekeeper. I was saying God doesn't need some guy who told everyone he was God's "only" son to decide on who gets forgiveness and who doesn't. I don't have a say and you don't have a say. Where were all these lovely christians when I was getting treated like dirt by society? Where was Jesus to say "stop" when his followers kicked me when I was down and trying to rebuild my life after substance abuse? I have examined the Bible long and hard and found many contradictions in it. I have analyzed the actions of my family and friends who believed in Jesus and the way they treated myself and others like second class citizens. If all things are equal then my only true sin is not tossing a ball very well or scrambling out of the pocket. I got a DUI and am still paying for it. Are you saying God forgives Him and not myself? I believe in God.. Just not any Judeo-Christian false prophets. I was never forgiven, nor were the fakes ever held accountable for their actions. You're guy would be best to try getting flies with sugar instead of salt. In my opinion Mike was given a few more years of good times on this planet, but I doubt he's going. To be truly forgiven. He needs to have some serious reprogramming done to his brain and his soul. I guess my point is neither of us have a say in the matter. You can cross your fingers all you want, but you saying it doesn't make it so. I'm still waiting for mine and Jeezy hasn't ever delivered for me, so I'm going to do what I can to be a good person and hope those who hurt me get their judgment.

July 19, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • So now that you have ask, Mmmmm

@Ok. I disagree with you. Jesus is the Gatekeeper. But your story is long and your struggle is difficult. You are able to see and hold accountable everyone uncluding God except yourself. You are not very forgiving to those that hurt you. Yet admist all of these things you desire to do good.
      Stop whining and dragging your cross. Pick it up and carry it with cheerful strength for it is better to suffer in doing what is right than to suffer twice doing what is wrong. God forgives and the gift is giving freely and abundantly to all. It is a gift from God. Too many refuse this gift because they lied to themselves and others saying "I am in no need of God's Mercy." These who say and do these things are haughty and live their lives every moment as harden, unrepentant ever obstinate in
      sin. God does forgives. He made you His friend while you were still his enemy for He died on the cross for your sin. It is so sad that we are created in the image of God we cannot not find him in each other for He has been buried under hatefulness, ugliness, selfishness, emptiness and sinfulness. So where can you find this Jesus when you are suffering and abandon and all alone? You will find this Jesus is right there with you. You don't belong to a church and have chosen to pilgrimage the perils of life alone and without Jesus' compass. You should talk to a priest or a good christain spiritual
      director. God is real stop trying to find God in other people's personalities. God has a beautiful personality of His
      own.

July 19, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Juan Banuelos

She looks like my mother when she sucs

July 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Hetero

What a bunch of sissies. He did his time and you want to bring this shat back up? Btw whether you believe or not he asked forgiveness. Case closed, losers.

July 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Straight Too

@Hetero: Yeah? So everyone who asks for forgiveness gets it? Lol. Why did you pick the name hetero? You sound insecure. I really don't know why CNN brought this story up again either. Must be a slow news day.

July 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Royal T

Pfftt.. Forgiveness? I will forgive him when I get my royalty checks for all the stolen material and intellectual property that corporate america has stolen from me. They made millions off my ideas.. Fox news, WB, and many other "entertainment" endeavors. They hide behind satirical loopholes, but some movies were not sold as satirical. One producer laughed at me and said he won and I lost.. Lost what? I didn't know I was playing a game. I will forgive when I get my royalty checks.

July 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jerk

An open memo to OK: you haven't studied the bible properly because it doesn't contradict itself at all. God gave Jesus rulership of his kingdom because Jesus did what Adam could not: live as a perfect man and obey God to the end.

Jesus went, not to the Romans, Bale worshipers, or atheists, rather right to his own people the Jews.

They were not worshiping God correctly because the Jewish leaders were misleading them. "Thrown about like sheep without a shepherd."

July 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

On the mother/nanny thing. Would you rather be mistaken for his/her grandma?

Happens all the time with my son and his mother. We find it funny. Get over yourself.

July 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Testro/hetro

Depends on who you ask. If it's the American public, forgiveness never comes because of that need as a mob to beat down and destroy anyone who ever makes such an error in judgement. If it's atheists, never again because forgiveness is akin to belief and must be denied and exterminated at any cost. If it's just to an average joe, sure, forgiveness after time. You already know the mainstream christian answer. Myself, I'm not threatened by alternztive lifestyles. That said, time's long gone to get over it.

July 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ron22

Really...its sad what mike did, but get over it. We have greater issues to focus on...like our economy and caylees killer. I mean really dam dog.

July 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • retto

I agree Caylees killer should be found, but you can't seriously think that it is on the same level of importance as fixing the economy

July 24, 2011 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. jerk

you cannot receive forgiveness just because you ask God for it and keep on sinning. You must always be repentant and "doing ALL things for God's glory."

July 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sigh

Ease up, OK.
    God and Jesus forgive you. Time to forgive yourself.

July 19, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sigh

Royal T, wth are you talking about?

July 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |