Overheard on CNN.com: Have Americans forgiven Michael Vick yet?
Michael Vick will head to D.C. in support of legislation to crack down on dogfight spectators.
July 19th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Have Americans forgiven Michael Vick yet?

Comment of the day:

"Michael Vick. A proponent of illegal dog-fighting legislation? That's rich. I don't care how far he can throw a football. He hasn't earned my forgiveness and probably never will.” - cmd5150

Vick goes to Washington

Philadelphia Eagles star quarterback Michael Vick, who was released from prison in 2009 after serving 20 months for a dog-fighting conviction, is continuing to speak out against animal cruelty. Along with the head of the Humane Society of the United States, Vick will speak on Capital Hill about his support of a new bill that aims to strengthen penalties against spectators of dog and cock fights.

So has the public forgiven Vick, or do people think he will never be able to right his wrongs? CNN.com readers were divided:

esteebo said, “[I am] a long-time advocate of animal rights and I am disgusted with comments on here calling him ‘sick’ and ‘trash.’ He did something horrible; he was punished for it and is now taking steps to ensure that others do not make the same mistakes. If a drug dealer went to prison, saw the errors of his ways and started working with inter-city youth to keep them from selling drugs, would we be saying the same thing?”

ness22 responded, “The truth is he was never punished for the torture and murder of dogs – he was sent to jail for gambling. Also, he needs to be ‘contrite’ to keep getting those endorsement deals, like the one he just signed with Nike. If you think he is sorry, I feel sorry that you are so naive. He was flippant and obnoxious about his involvement, showing no remorse until it was obvious he needed to change his tune if he wanted to get paid again. He is a horrible role model and a horrible human being.”

ckbabs said, “I'll be the first to admit that I thought he was a lost cause back when he was caught in this wretched case. I wanted them to throw away the key. But he has absolutely demonstrated a willingness to help fight the good fight. He also shed light on the fact that it was a way of life – kids grow up seeing it from a very young age. He served time and now frequently works with the Humane Society to fight this. He is able to talk to people from neighborhoods that are pretty rough ... I truly hope he continues educating people in those circles.”

mymax said, “Served his time? Vick held a dog as high as he could and repeatedly slammed her to the ground until she died because she did NOT want to fight (just one of the dogs he killed). You don't fix this type of cruelty in two years at a prison where his fellow prison mates probably treated him like a king. You sports fans supporting him only care that he is still a good player. He cancelled his interview with Oprah when he found out the new owners of his [rescued] dogs were also going to be on the show. If he is such a good person now, why run and hide? If Vick had not been caught, he would STILL be killing dogs. That is the fact of the matter.”

TheFinalWerd said, “You all are such hypocrites. On one hand, you hold this non stop hatred for a football player who made a mistake years ago, paid for it and is now trying to right his wrong. On the other hand, you openly cheer for players who have defiled women, stolen, even killed innocent people and have never paid for it! You really want to make a difference? Then go adopt one of the dogs that are victims of this tragedy. Oh wait you don’t want to because they are pit bulls and you think they are vicious dogs anyway? Well then they are getting a needle and dying without big bad Vick around.”

brux73 responded, “Wrong! I did adopt a pit, with scars on her from when someone let her get all bit up by another dog ... my kids were pretty small too at the time, but I knew she was a sweet natured dog the minute I saw her! I love our dog, and my kids love our dog, and if something happened to her I would get another pit in a second. I have helped several of my friends adopt pits too! They are loving sweet pets. Mine sleeps with my little cat every day in the sun together. Nothing vicious about her!

leftyraydy said, “The Problem with This country is the fact that no one can forgive someone. Here's a Man that paid for his crimes and is trying to get back out there and continue his life. He pleaded guilty, went to jail and is trying so hard to make a name for himself again.”

I’m her mom, not her nanny

Rose Arce, a senior producer at CNN and contributor to Mamiverse, is leading the upcoming documentary “In Her Corner – Latino in America” about a Mexican-American amateur boxer. Her recent article about being a mother who is often mistaken for her daughter’s nanny sparked some debate.

Some CNN.com readers empathized with Arce, citing similar experiences, while others couldn’t understand where she was coming from.

mimzywhimzy said, “I am a half Hispanic woman. You're tripping because a two-year-old child called you a babysitter? Get over it. Stop plaguing your daughter with your neurosis and insecurities and focus on raising your daughter to be educated and confident. The only person who has a problem with you being Hispanic is YOU.”

xiaohuaxing said, “If I saw a white looking child with a Hispanic looking woman, I'd think she was a babysitter. If I saw a Hispanic looking child with a white looking woman, I'd still think she was a babysitter. Stop trying to make everybody else look racist. I'm pretty sure the ‘can I get some service?’ thing happens to me in restaurants more times than it happens to you (Chinese here). I always think it's funny.”

cn78 said, “As the white mom of a half Asian child, I'm more often mistaken for the adoptive mom. I'm asked where I got her. Saying "my uterus" usually shuts idiots up. If it's a kid, I'll just explain that her dad and I look very different.”

mkjp responded, “I'd love to know why on earth people think it is any of their freaking business! In what universe is it good manners to ask a stranger where they got their child?”

deepthinker said, “Though some believe that it's not racial, tell that to my black friend whose children are half white and a bit lighter in skin tone. While on an outing, 'caring' folk called the police on him assuming that he kidnapped his own children. Cheers to you Rose for this writing. Some people will get it and others won't.”

toosense said, “This isn't so much because everyone ‘stereotypes’ you. It is because you don't look like your daughter. THAT is why everyone thinks you are the babysitter. We have cleaners; they are white. We have a babysitter; she is white. They don't seem to share the same disgust at their professions that you do. Neither do we.

Female Dems supporting Palin and Bachmann?

The New Agenda is a nonpartisan women's advocacy group that united many women who were disappointed after Hillary Clinton's defeat in 2008. Now they support Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann and believe the women offer the best chance to break the glass ceiling in presidential politics.

The majority of CNN.com commenters said that they did not share the group’s cause:

Joker1984 said, “ ‘Support *any* woman seeking a top political office?’ That's insane. Support only those who are competent, as expressed by the deeds. Hillary Clinton, yes! Kay Bailey Hutchinson, yes. Olympia Snow, yes. Sarah Palin, no. Michelle Bachmann, no. Palin couldn't handle a full term as governor of Alaska. Bachmann spouts empty propaganda and displays an obvious lack of knowledge of American history. America will have a woman President some day, but she'll be a woman of substance, not empty rhetoric.”

IEK responded, “No kidding, it's not an attack on women when Bachmann actually IS a flake. She would be a horrible President and it's shocking that she's even in Congress. There will be other women, better women, to be the first woman President.”

Pembrolelib said, “Treatment of Palin and Bachmann is not sexist. It is deserved since they are totally unqualified, ignorant and not quite sane.”

Nanders said, “I supported Hillary and I am a woman. However I prefer to kill myself before I support a woman like Bachman. In my opinion it’s not the gender that defines her, she is snake.”

1. Testro/hetro

O.k., here it is: christians, get over Michael Vick. Atheists, get over Michael Vick. Animal lovers, he brought more money to the effort than you, as individuals, ever will. GET OVER IT.

July 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. leeintulsa

@ok: we mock what we don't understand. Alot of players are at least as religious as you. You claim others can't know what your god cares about, then claim he doesn't care about football.

They can't praise their god when they score? Is that, the praising nonsense i mean, restricted to sunday morning and evening, wednesday evening, and daily meals?

Hate and hypocrisy really don't play well for you people. I hear you're supposed to be agin that sort of thing..

July 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fernace

I say the same I did on a blog suggesting we should forgive Casey Anthony: I don't know Michael Vick & was not personally affected by his actions, therefore how can I forgive! The question is really are we willing to change our opinions now that he's payed his debt & is promoting the demise of animal cruelty? Seems some of us are & some not. I'm willing, if he continues the work of exposing the horrors of animal fighting & cruelty! I can't say what his motives are, but seems he's learning as well as teaching. Some posts brought up the issue of players who are "forgiven" their involvement with dr.ugs or domestic violence & if we can continue to cheer on those dudes on the field, why not Vick! Also, one unfairness I've discovered, is how society continues to punish some1 who's been in jail. Many of these people can hardly get a job & are continuously shunned & degraded. Instead, they should be given the benefit of doubt, a clean slate to prove themselves as productive people. I think that works better!!

July 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I have a good friend who became a felon very young. He's bright and hard working, but he'll be forever on food stamps because of the barred ceiling..

I didn't know him then, and he'll tell you how stupid he was.

Society never forgives.

July 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. susie walker

if vick had not got caught, he would still be dogfighting. i am sick of people who all of a sudden there sorry. michael vick is a disgusting person. wonder how many animals he hurt and killed. i say throw him in the lions den. let him see what its like

July 19, 2011 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. monkey

Unlike us monkeys, dogs are mean. Especially pit bulls. They like to bite and everything. They are dangerous and really arent mans best friend. I say us monkeys are much better companions to people. We are funny and also friendly. Plus kinda smart. Look at what i typed and i am a chimpanzee. Next time you want a friend, think monkey. Think the best.

July 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Tell that to the beautiful lady and her family who had her face ripped off by a deranged monkey...chimpanzee.

July 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Coincidentally, i can't wait for the new Rise of the Planet of the Apes movie. Man's best friend... Sure...

July 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Wah Wah

There are some things that should be ignored about race in America and some that shouldn't. I'm white and have been insulted my whole life by all sorts of people, so I guess I should call CNN and write a book. This whole sensitivity thing is getting a bit out of hand. Nobody perpetuates stereotypes like television and the movies, but I see little being done about that.

July 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. just a thought

There are some people who sincerely repent, if he doesn't, then stone him. There are many people who truly repent....And then there are the incureables.

July 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. idiots

Who cares? he makes more in one season than cnn bloggermorons make in a lifetime. .as far as those dogs are concerned buuurrrp! theys tasty!!!

July 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

...is that with tennessee dry rub or lemongrass with soy sauce?

July 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

This im writing to you mike vick I personally own a pit bull a if you had by chance was able to get your pathetic hands on my joey and i was able to get ahold of your stinkin rearend you would have wished you could go to jail And i hope every night you go to sleep you are haunted by each and every dog that you hurt or killed

July 19, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nancy Graceless

He's guilty! I tried this case in my mind and well, OFF, OFF, OFF, WITH HIS HEAD! When's the needle meeting the skin?! I love you, Texas. Wanna' french kiss?

July 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dogfan

Worse than Vick is the HSUS. What a pity he's joined forces with them. If you look closely at HSUS and its record, you will learn how many people are on to them and their schemes. Their track record is very poor and they are known for killing more dogs at their so called shelters than they have saved. Their leaders believe that pet ownership should end and we should all be vegetarians and that is their purpose. When they plead for money for poor dogs in the pound on TV, notice their ad also shows cattle as one of the animals they are pleading for help to save. PLEASE NOTE HSUS IS NOT your local humane society or the ASPCA. HSUS apparently took that name to cloak itself in the good reputation of your local agencies but they are not connected! Do NOT support HSUS with your money or sympathies.

July 19, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

"Gatekeeper?"
    The gatekeeper to what?
    There's not anything I'm trying to get into that excludes me.

July 19, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Michael Vick is absolutely irrelevant to my life.
    I love dogs.
    Vick is nothing to me. I don't care what he does.

July 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

He is obviously relevant enough for you to take time out of your day to post you idiot. I hope you choke on your dirty dogs fecal matter

July 19, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. fernace

One thing that strikes me in the comments I'm reading, is how much more anger there seems to be against animal abuse than people abuse! I don't recall this outpouring of anger against the player who put a hit on his pregnant fiancee. The baby survived but she did not.That seems to me a worse thing to perpetrate, but appearently "don't mess with mans best friend". I love dogs & all kinds of animals & think we should protect them & stop encroaching on their habitats etc., but didn't this dude pay for what he did!? How do people know whats in his mind?So many seem to think they have esp. or clairvoyance! Leave him & the controversy be, already! Let's find something else to be upset about like the drought in West Africa. People & babies are dying!!

July 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

fernace is right: humans are much more important than dogs.
    I love dogs anyway.
    Who said here that pit bulls want to bite?
    Dogs will do what you train them to do.
    Dobermans can be the most loving animals imaginable, but if you want them to "fass" all the way, they'll do that for you, too.

July 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |