Overheard on CNN.com: Have Americans forgiven Michael Vick yet?
Michael Vick will head to D.C. in support of legislation to crack down on dogfight spectators.
July 19th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Have Americans forgiven Michael Vick yet?

Comment of the day:

"Michael Vick. A proponent of illegal dog-fighting legislation? That's rich. I don't care how far he can throw a football. He hasn't earned my forgiveness and probably never will.” - cmd5150

Vick goes to Washington

Philadelphia Eagles star quarterback Michael Vick, who was released from prison in 2009 after serving 20 months for a dog-fighting conviction, is continuing to speak out against animal cruelty. Along with the head of the Humane Society of the United States, Vick will speak on Capital Hill about his support of a new bill that aims to strengthen penalties against spectators of dog and cock fights.

So has the public forgiven Vick, or do people think he will never be able to right his wrongs? CNN.com readers were divided:

esteebo said, “[I am] a long-time advocate of animal rights and I am disgusted with comments on here calling him ‘sick’ and ‘trash.’ He did something horrible; he was punished for it and is now taking steps to ensure that others do not make the same mistakes. If a drug dealer went to prison, saw the errors of his ways and started working with inter-city youth to keep them from selling drugs, would we be saying the same thing?”

ness22 responded, “The truth is he was never punished for the torture and murder of dogs – he was sent to jail for gambling. Also, he needs to be ‘contrite’ to keep getting those endorsement deals, like the one he just signed with Nike. If you think he is sorry, I feel sorry that you are so naive. He was flippant and obnoxious about his involvement, showing no remorse until it was obvious he needed to change his tune if he wanted to get paid again. He is a horrible role model and a horrible human being.”

ckbabs said, “I'll be the first to admit that I thought he was a lost cause back when he was caught in this wretched case. I wanted them to throw away the key. But he has absolutely demonstrated a willingness to help fight the good fight. He also shed light on the fact that it was a way of life – kids grow up seeing it from a very young age. He served time and now frequently works with the Humane Society to fight this. He is able to talk to people from neighborhoods that are pretty rough ... I truly hope he continues educating people in those circles.”

mymax said, “Served his time? Vick held a dog as high as he could and repeatedly slammed her to the ground until she died because she did NOT want to fight (just one of the dogs he killed). You don't fix this type of cruelty in two years at a prison where his fellow prison mates probably treated him like a king. You sports fans supporting him only care that he is still a good player. He cancelled his interview with Oprah when he found out the new owners of his [rescued] dogs were also going to be on the show. If he is such a good person now, why run and hide? If Vick had not been caught, he would STILL be killing dogs. That is the fact of the matter.”

TheFinalWerd said, “You all are such hypocrites. On one hand, you hold this non stop hatred for a football player who made a mistake years ago, paid for it and is now trying to right his wrong. On the other hand, you openly cheer for players who have defiled women, stolen, even killed innocent people and have never paid for it! You really want to make a difference? Then go adopt one of the dogs that are victims of this tragedy. Oh wait you don’t want to because they are pit bulls and you think they are vicious dogs anyway? Well then they are getting a needle and dying without big bad Vick around.”

brux73 responded, “Wrong! I did adopt a pit, with scars on her from when someone let her get all bit up by another dog ... my kids were pretty small too at the time, but I knew she was a sweet natured dog the minute I saw her! I love our dog, and my kids love our dog, and if something happened to her I would get another pit in a second. I have helped several of my friends adopt pits too! They are loving sweet pets. Mine sleeps with my little cat every day in the sun together. Nothing vicious about her!

leftyraydy said, “The Problem with This country is the fact that no one can forgive someone. Here's a Man that paid for his crimes and is trying to get back out there and continue his life. He pleaded guilty, went to jail and is trying so hard to make a name for himself again.”

I’m her mom, not her nanny

Rose Arce, a senior producer at CNN and contributor to Mamiverse, is leading the upcoming documentary “In Her Corner – Latino in America” about a Mexican-American amateur boxer. Her recent article about being a mother who is often mistaken for her daughter’s nanny sparked some debate.

Some CNN.com readers empathized with Arce, citing similar experiences, while others couldn’t understand where she was coming from.

mimzywhimzy said, “I am a half Hispanic woman. You're tripping because a two-year-old child called you a babysitter? Get over it. Stop plaguing your daughter with your neurosis and insecurities and focus on raising your daughter to be educated and confident. The only person who has a problem with you being Hispanic is YOU.”

xiaohuaxing said, “If I saw a white looking child with a Hispanic looking woman, I'd think she was a babysitter. If I saw a Hispanic looking child with a white looking woman, I'd still think she was a babysitter. Stop trying to make everybody else look racist. I'm pretty sure the ‘can I get some service?’ thing happens to me in restaurants more times than it happens to you (Chinese here). I always think it's funny.”

cn78 said, “As the white mom of a half Asian child, I'm more often mistaken for the adoptive mom. I'm asked where I got her. Saying "my uterus" usually shuts idiots up. If it's a kid, I'll just explain that her dad and I look very different.”

mkjp responded, “I'd love to know why on earth people think it is any of their freaking business! In what universe is it good manners to ask a stranger where they got their child?”

deepthinker said, “Though some believe that it's not racial, tell that to my black friend whose children are half white and a bit lighter in skin tone. While on an outing, 'caring' folk called the police on him assuming that he kidnapped his own children. Cheers to you Rose for this writing. Some people will get it and others won't.”

toosense said, “This isn't so much because everyone ‘stereotypes’ you. It is because you don't look like your daughter. THAT is why everyone thinks you are the babysitter. We have cleaners; they are white. We have a babysitter; she is white. They don't seem to share the same disgust at their professions that you do. Neither do we.

Female Dems supporting Palin and Bachmann?

The New Agenda is a nonpartisan women's advocacy group that united many women who were disappointed after Hillary Clinton's defeat in 2008. Now they support Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann and believe the women offer the best chance to break the glass ceiling in presidential politics.

The majority of CNN.com commenters said that they did not share the group’s cause:

Joker1984 said, “ ‘Support *any* woman seeking a top political office?’ That's insane. Support only those who are competent, as expressed by the deeds. Hillary Clinton, yes! Kay Bailey Hutchinson, yes. Olympia Snow, yes. Sarah Palin, no. Michelle Bachmann, no. Palin couldn't handle a full term as governor of Alaska. Bachmann spouts empty propaganda and displays an obvious lack of knowledge of American history. America will have a woman President some day, but she'll be a woman of substance, not empty rhetoric.”

IEK responded, “No kidding, it's not an attack on women when Bachmann actually IS a flake. She would be a horrible President and it's shocking that she's even in Congress. There will be other women, better women, to be the first woman President.”

Pembrolelib said, “Treatment of Palin and Bachmann is not sexist. It is deserved since they are totally unqualified, ignorant and not quite sane.”

Nanders said, “I supported Hillary and I am a woman. However I prefer to kill myself before I support a woman like Bachman. In my opinion it’s not the gender that defines her, she is snake.”

1. KaRon

To Ginger51. H_A_T_E_R *_* I bet you probably always got cut from every thing you tried out in. From coloring within the lines, to making the gatorade at table tennis tryouts.

July 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Annie

WHEN WILL AMERICA WAKE UP? YOU ASK IF AMERICA HAS FORGIVEN MIKE? WHY NOT ASK IF BLACKS HAVE FORGIVEN FOR THE 100 MILLION BLACKS KILLED DURING THE SLAVE TRADE, KILLED DURING THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT, THE KLAN OF WHITE BOYS. AMERICA YOU REALLY NEED TO LEARN WHAT FORGIVENESS IS.

July 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

100 million? LOL. Exaggerate much?

July 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brainlesswonder

I forgive your inability to locate your caps key.

July 21, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. USArmyOverLord

There is NOTHING to forgive. The man lost a lot over some dogs. I think he learned his lesson. By the way F- the haters, who gives a Sh– what they think.

July 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

They ought to just legalize dog fighting. Then it wouldn't be an issue.

July 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • karen

How about we dip you in some blood and toss you into a fighting pit...would you think it wasn't abuse then?

July 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. karen

He has not changed and I eill never forgive him or forget what he did. He is only doing these things to pad his bank account... and people are stupid enough to let him...He stinks!!!!!

July 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. who cares

ITS ALL A DOG FIGHT > that is American sports remember? It does not matter how much the dogs
    take home from all that. They are there to keep us all hypnotised by dog fights > SO then of course
    he and all others in dog fight countries love hypnosis because its better than dealing with reality.

ITS all cartoon gladiators: he knows that: why dont you?

July 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Songbird

It amazes me that CNN wound put one of the worst as well as most negative comments as comment of the day. CNN use to report news objectively,but now I do not know the difference betwen CNN and the National Inquirer. Micheal Vick served his time and now is serving the people. All CNN did by featuring that comment is fueling a fire that is going out no matter what they try to do. The Micheal Vick dog fighting story and him going to jail is over. I find it so amazing that Micheal Vick can still be featured negativly by CNN but a former governor who is an adullterer, a trick and a liar can have his own show on the same network. Where is the comment of the day regarding that CNN. This just disgust me.

July 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Proud Liberal

You're forgetting one important aspect songbird – Michael Vick is BLACK. Nuff said.

July 21, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. vrim

Saw another little dog locked in an SUV at the grocery store yesterday afternoon. Small cracks in all four windows was supposed to cool the little guy down inside that vehicle in 90º+ heat outside. Consulting the store management revealed that I would have to call the local police for action. Walking back outside, I see a person and some kids I had seen walking around the store minutes earlier, walk up to the vehicle and get in. Most assuredly the little pooch was once the most important thing in their lives, until the latest playstation, or whatever came out. At that point the furry little guy got reduced. Also most assuredly, had he died in that vehicle, those kids would have another fad pup within weeks to comfort them. That one, too, would be popular for a while. Certainly no cruelty in the equation, though.

July 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SHERALDA RANDALL

I will never forgive him, nor will I forget! I own three pitbulls and have had them for over 7 years now, they are part of our family. If he was never caught he would still be fighting dogs! And shame on NIKE, you want someone like him to represent your product..............People need to get more educated on this beautiful breed, they are not the monsters people think they are!!!!!!!!!!! Vick you will be judged by someone higher and i hope yo uare able to handle the pain that you have caused. visit my page and you will see what joy they bring to my family!!!!! http://www.lynn.ourpitbulls.com

GOD SPEED

July 20, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brainlesswonder

It seems that most people believe we should just abolish the whole ideal of rehabilitation and reduce our penal system to two options – live / die. Vick paid the heaviest sentence that anyone convicted of his crime had before. Primarily because he was famous and black. Favre would have gotten probation, not hard time. Vick paid his dues, and regardless of what people think his motivation is, he is having a positive impact educating young urban youth that might follow in his footsteps.

As far as all the Pit Bull lovers go, you kinda suck anyway, you take an animal – dictate where it lives, what it eats, and where it can go, and you strip them of their reproductive freedom to feed your god complex and fill some void in yourselves that you can't manage with actual human interaction.

July 21, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. kitty

to brainlesswonder...i see where you get your name.

July 21, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank Yancey

Since you are not perfect, I guarantee that in the future that you won't forgive your mistakes, and you will suffer greatly, for only those without sin can honestly cast the first stone.

July 21, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TexasGal

Michael Vick has served his time. His crimes are inexcusable and he continues to do penance in the form of partnering with the Humane Society and other good works. I do believe he grew up in an environment where one's image and self-worth were wrapped up in dog fighting and related cruel behaviors towards animals. I am disturbed by the fact that the sporting community and society seem to place a higher value on animals than it does on women. Evidence Ben Roethlisberger preying on young women. Why is he not "doing time" in a battered womens' shelter?

July 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bill

Go Eagles

July 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ann

He woke up every day that he was torturing/killing animals and decided to do it again and again. It was a concious choice. He is a sociopath. He will never change. He talks the talk right now so he can play football. Of course he speaks out against it now as it is doubtful that he would be hired for any other high paying job. Someone told me his sister and mother live in a house owned by him in Shamong. I wonder if they own a dog and how that dog is treated.

July 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Eleanor Hansen

Plain and simple..he's a dog killer and abuser, and he hasn't paid for those crimes. He should be cleaning dog kennels for minimum wage instead of playing football for millions. A pox on the NFL for enabling this creep.

July 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |