July 19th, 2011

Phone-hacking hearing: Key moments

Media magnate Rupert Murdoch, his son James Murdoch and former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks faced tough questioning Tuesday from British lawmakers investigating a phone-hacking scandal that threatens to engulf the News Corp. media empire.

Here are some key moments of the day.

Rupert Murdoch:

"I was absolutely shocked, appalled and ashamed when I heard about the Milly Dowler case," he said, referring to the slain British schoolgirl whose voice mail the News of the World is accused of hacking.

"No," he said, when asked if he was responsible for the scandal. When asked who did he think was responsible he said: "The people that I trusted, and then maybe the people they trusted."

How did Rupert Murdoch do in the hot seat?

James Murdoch:

"I have no knowledge and there is no evidence that I'm aware of that Mrs. Brooks or Mr. (Les) Hinton or any of those executives had knowledge of that ... . Nonetheless those resignations have been accepted, but it's important on the basis that there is no evidence today, that I have seen or have any knowledge of, that there was any impropriety," he said in reference to whether the recent resignations at News Corp. executives was because they knew of phone-hacking incidents.

Rebekah Brooks:

"I can say that I have never paid a policeman myself. I've never sanctioned or knowingly sanctioned a payment to a police officer."

"The suggestion that Milly Dowler voicemails was intercepted by someone working for the News Of the World or someone on the  News Of the World was unknown to me, it's abhorrent to me and that's all I can tell you."

Post by:
Filed under: Media • Politics • World
  1. chillipepper

Obama using the FBI to go after who he doesn't like. If he looked into Buffett or Soros he could find plenty dirt too. Funny all these Czars Obama hired had plenty seedy pasts. Didn't look to deeply into them commies and perverts. Or he knew and thats just him.

July 20, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Yeah Right

chillipepper so you are saying what Murdoch's company did was terrible right? Stick to the topic and not blame others... this is horrible.

July 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seamus

Linking everything that happens in the news to Obama or the Democrats is hilarious. I love how simple people can be. This may be the easiest way to explain away all your problems, but it demonstrates the narrow-minded hypocrisy that exists on the far right.... and makes everyone wonder if you are sitting at home with a tin-foil hat and a shotgun.

July 22, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ninja

Since when did CNN become the British News Channel? Every time I turned over to see what was new in news they were showing Murdoch getting hit in the face with a pie. Really? This is the best CNN can do? After watching a Month of Wedding plans for the Royal Family and then a week of their vacation I have to watch 8 hours of a Murdoch trial? This is getting ridiculous. Can we please have some American news or any news that has absolutely nothing to do with the British? The world is a pretty big place, I'm sure there's something more interesting going on out there besides a guy getting hit in the face with a pie. Come on people.

July 20, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. James Panico

Making a parody of starving people is another example of what a chauvanistic, plutocratic **nt Murdoch is.

July 28, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. TERROR ALERT

YES , WE CAN...YES , WE CAN...WE WILL WIN IN WAR ON TERROR (30 whities or what are terrorists will never come back alive...thank you lord....aaamen).

What do you mean tragedy! It was just a birthday present for planet apes president !!! That's all ! Feels great to flip hamburgers and hip hop atop of good news...makes you feel vibrant and energized !!!

ARIZONA = UTOYA = GOVERNMENT‘S "AFTERLIFE" CASH & $$ FLASH MOB (there was no shooting in Utoya or Arizona, but instead tear gas and on faces of multiculturalism maniacs while calling you a terrorists) !!! stateofterror.blogspot.com/ or stateofterror.wordpress.com/

OBAMA = STALIN = BUSH or USA = SOVIET UNION
    avsecbostjan.blogspot.com/ or avsecbostjan.wordpress.com/

Whitie is fighting war on terrorism just to come home and be pronounced as terrorist...turned in Timothy, jobless, homeless ...YESSS, WE CAN...YESSS, WE CAN...GABBY OPENED HER EYES (Obaminator’s psychotic speech in Tucson = failed “Apocalypse Now“)

TEARS WON'T DO YOU ANY GOOD !!! AS BUSH STATED "THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID FOR"(to die ) !!

Don't worry O(s)bama, you have just saved USA what is lots of Dollars in your DEBT DEALS(DEAD AND ILL) as those best of America or Navy Seals would also grew older and then you already know how it goes !!!

August 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |