Leopard on the loose
July 20th, 2011

Leopard killed after mauling six in India

Officers shot and killed a leopard after it strayed into a village and attacked six people in West Bengal, India, according to media reports.

The leopard attacked a woman and two men, The Australian reported.

People in the densely populated slum village of Prakash Nagar climbed onto rooftops as forestry officers pursued the big cat and vice versa, Sky News reported. Several attempts to tranquilize it failed.

Things seemed to calm down after the leopard sought refuge in bushes, but it leaped out at three officers, Sky News reported. An officer finally wounded the animal, and it later died at a veterinary clinic.

One forestry officer was reported critically injured.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • India • Leopards
  1. loquan

INDIA is not a friend to the US people. Boycott all things INDIAN.

July 20, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • BitterTruth

India is the only country in the world which has more favorable view towards USA in its population.

July 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel M

Leopard? Is that you?

July 20, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarineDad05

@ laguan

You must be from Pakistan.

July 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • iamthefredman

"T-I-G-G-E-R.. Is that you???" said the Pooh Bear.

July 20, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robbie

MarineDad05: He could also be a very honest Punjabi.

July 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JIM

If you are having trouble finding employment, you can thank india.

July 20, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • williewillie

Stop india job stealing.

July 20, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • baba

Perhaps ur goverment and the greedy ceo's who make millions if they cut the costs... Easy to blame outsiders and barbarians and ghosts.

July 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cheekie Bandito

You need to blame your own corporations for you not having a job not the country these US companies sold out too.
      Corporation executives want to increase profits so they can pay for their huge motor yachts, houses, private jets etc etc.
      If you think for a minute that they care about their US employees you are dreaming.

July 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Someone

...And China!

July 20, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

@JIM....Theres a job opening for you in India...Its called 'Leopard Bait'....The only qualification is that the person should be a nitwit like you

July 20, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tom

Maybe if you people tried to work hard for a change instead of sitting ur ass on a couch watching TV you would have a job. As for the "computer programmer" I bet he couldn't write a program without bugs. If you aren't good enough you wont get a job. Its that simple.

July 20, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Thank Heavens for a Smart Person!

Finally ... one positive comment ... and what do "Indians taking over US jobs" have to do with this story???

July 20, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. loquan

@Tom. Do you flip burgers for a living? If not, someone from india will be taking your job pretty soon. Just wait a few years.

July 20, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • SR

Don't they have robots for that already?

July 20, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Yes, because thats all Indians like to do, is steal non-burger-flipping jobs. Totally. You should be a world leader.

July 20, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  5. At Dave

Ignorance must truly be bliss!!!

July 20, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • jagr

nothing truer.

July 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Borogovian

Are you people serious?? If outsourcing is killing America, then blame big business, not the countries that are chosen to replace us. Derp.

July 20, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

There is no question outsourcing is killing America. We should absolutely blame big business. Then again big business wouldn’t be out sourcing to India if they didn’t work for peanuts and curry. If you actually follow this subject you’d know some business are starting to come back to the US because the Indians have woken up and are starting to demand a decent wage.

Derp indeed

July 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. stan

GOOD 4 THE LEOPARD !

July 20, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  8. Shocked

I can't believe that you guys are blaming other countries/nationalities for your economic demise. Do you even know what brought upon this huge financial crisis??? Maybe you should read substantial newspapers rather than your village publications.

July 20, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Hercules

This is absolute proof that humans are nowhere near the top of the food chain. Anybody who believes otherwise is delusional...

July 20, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

1.7 BILLION Indians and growing

5k and declining Leopards

You were saying?

July 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

Sorry to break it to you but humans are totally at the top of the food chain. The fact we can destroy the world several times over is kind of proof of this...

July 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Good idea: bad leopard.
    India is not our problem.
    We are our problem.

July 20, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hercules,
    Can a leopard make a gun?

July 20, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Lon

Because guns are clearly what makes a society proficient.

July 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

@Lon

The subject wasn’t in regards to a society’s proficiency. Try to keep up.

July 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dougie

Dang Indians. I thought they all live on reservations and run casinos.

July 20, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  13. Unprejudiced

Donna, your reply is outrageous..it is one thing to be concerned about job loss and another to wish death on others.....be a better person please

July 20, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Nidhi

I am extremely shocked to see some of the comments on here. Last time I checked, we lived in the United States where racism and prejudice had been ruled out a long time ago. I can't believe some of the rude statements people are making about Indians. Calm down and keep moving on. No need to be ignorant.

And let's go back to what this article was originally about. You may not have noticed but a leopard was killed for attacking six people in India. That is devastating. We're taking their homes. They have no where else to go. So yes, I can see why it attacked. What else can they do? And yes, I do feel for the people who were hurt from the cat. I hope everyone is doing okay.

July 20, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Cyrus

Racism and prejudice had been ruled out long time ago? You must be a really sheltered (read: clueless) person Nidhi.

July 20, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wanda

@ Nidhi I can't agree with you more, If people could just stay away from these beautiful animals things like thing would not happen, this is so sad.

July 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

We have just as much a right to the land as the leopard or any other creature on earth does. Animals are impeding our space just as we are invading ours. It doesnt only go one way.

July 20, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • JB

I meant as they are invading ours

July 20, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nidhi

I guess that does make sense. We do have a right to our land. It's just sad in general. Do we really have to keep wishing to find ways to live sustainably, without harming our wildlife and without harming ourselves?

And as for my comment regarding racism and prejudice being ruled out a long time ago, you are completely right that it is still apparent today. I was just shocked to see so many people hating on Indians. It really isn't necessary and it isn't fair. The article is about a leopard and how it attacked people (who I hope are okay), however there are so many people on this blog who commented unnecessarily.

July 21, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hmmm

@JIF: You're right Americans are their own worst enemy. I am tired of hearing how wonderful and peaceful Indians are though. They have slavery, honor killings, and they bathe next to rotting corpses and animal waste. Just because someone watched Gandhi it doesn't make them an expert. I knew a guy who had to train an Indian to do his job, but that isn't India's fault it's American greed. We end outsourcing through congress not by engaging in xenophobia.

July 20, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Unprejudiced

Classifying those social evils as traits of all Indian people would be same as calling all Americans Mormons......and btw do you know America has the highest child abuse rate ....wonder why I am wasting my time educating you

July 20, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • bzzbee

I strongly agree. Outsourcing needs to be stopped! Im getting let go due to outsourcing and it's just horrible.

July 20, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • KGZ

Firstly, Americans need to learn hard work and efficiency. Have you ever asked an American worker to stay late Friday night? Most won't....
      I own an outsourcing firm and what I see is that clients outsource as the efficiency of American IT worker is very low compared to that in India. Have you observed how much time American spends in useless meetings? In companies like Fannie Mae, Sprint, and other alike, there are groups of people who shuttle between the meetings and do nothing. In one of our projects with Fannie Mae, we completed the work in a day and Fannie Mae took 1 month to implement it.
      Those who blame Indians should look at themselves and honestly answer to themselves if they justify the pay they get. Very few would be exceptions to this.

July 20, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Hmmm

@Unprejudiced: Since when did telling the truth equal prejudice? I've accepted the fact that my ancestors did some pretty bad stuff, but over the years many have sought to change that behavior. Many whites died fighting the Nazis, but did we get an "atta boy"? No instead it's a dirty word to be white. Since you're so fond of education I will fill you in on something. There is more slavery today than there ever was. Guess who is doing it? Nope not the evil white man. It's going on in Africa, Asia, and South America. Children are being sold or rented for about $20 a year. There are some companies like Nike that have been caught using child labor (Pakistan) but it's mostly the natives who are engaging in it. You can look it up if you want, but I suspect you don't like getting educated as much as you like giving it. Everything I said about India was true. Just wait until their population grows and see how peaceful they are when they run out of resources and land. It's still up to American companies to make sure they don't outsource or support certain behaviors, but everything I said was true. I'm not prejudiced. I have many different friends from many different backgrounds, but I sense that you're the type of person who cries racist because you have some false sense of how the world is. It's not a Hollywood movie and it's very sad.

July 20, 2011 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Hmmm

@KGZ: Companies outsource to avoid taxes, environmental regulations, minimum wage, worker safety and many other costs of operation. I have a 3.7 GPA in college. I work so hard that I can barely walk at the end of the day. Many companies are so cheap that they will not reward their hard workers with more hours, so they can avoid paying overtime, so they schedule everyone 30 hours. You're work ethic can't be that good if you're online on a Wednesday afternoon. I'm happy you have a job selling out America, so you can sit on your rump and blast your neighbors.

July 20, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Unprejudiced

@Hmmm.....i didnt take the name Unprejudiced for u....it was for an earlier comment from Donna and stuck on......I empathize with the job loss in US but I think it goes back to getting skills that are irreplacable and greater focus on elementary education....the kids (all races) here have much more fun than a society can afford to let them have...they should be spending more time with their books.....what i meant by my earlier comment was that evils exist if every society, so u can't generalize it and apply on all its subjects....just like u say not all whites are racist and for sure they aren't .....btw India has a 1.2B population with 80% earning < $2 a day acc. to the World Bank....so am I not sure what you mean by "Just wait until their population grows and see how peaceful they are when they run out of resources and land"......anyway....i am calling truce....arguments can go for ever bcoz even everyone thinks they are right........have a good one......btw my GPA is higher than yours....JK 🙂

July 20, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Randist

if you feel the need to post your gpa on a news website's thread you probably shouldn't be in college anyway.

July 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watercan

@Hmmm.... LOL.. you shouldn't have bragged about your 3.7 GPA.. Mine is much higher than yours. I am an Indian and I dont think I stole a job from a equally qualified american. Why dont you compete rather than complaining?

July 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

To KGZ:

American's don't work hard? Have you read a single report on American work ethics? Apparently not as the United States is known as requiring workers to work more hours, have few holidays, and use less vacation that nearly any developed nation on earth (Indian is not a developed nation – BTW). Further, American positions is typically salary to avoid high hourly wages and employees are expected to be online, check VM, read emails, and other work related activities after office hours, on weekends, vacations, and holidays.

I have no problems with people seeking new positions in other countries. I'm an American that has worked in England and Italy previously. My issue is that the the H1B Visa program was designed to allow non-US personnel to work in the US for positions that skills were difficult to find or in short supply. With an unemployment rate of 9.2 percent today, do you think there is a lack of IT workers in America, recruiters (so tired of Indians calling me for a position when I wonder what difficult role they are filling as a IT recruiter), and other positions within technology? There isn't and our government is simply trying to "buy" a relationship with India because of the Pakistan situation and corporate lobbyist that knows Indians will work cheap and cheat on their time sheets and always log 40 hours even if they work 80 (deny that and I'll call you a liar).

Time to resend all H1B Visa and clean up the rules.

July 21, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |