Leopard on the loose
July 20th, 2011

Leopard killed after mauling six in India

Officers shot and killed a leopard after it strayed into a village and attacked six people in West Bengal, India, according to media reports.

The leopard attacked a woman and two men, The Australian reported.

People in the densely populated slum village of Prakash Nagar climbed onto rooftops as forestry officers pursued the big cat and vice versa, Sky News reported. Several attempts to tranquilize it failed.

Things seemed to calm down after the leopard sought refuge in bushes, but it leaped out at three officers, Sky News reported. An officer finally wounded the animal, and it later died at a veterinary clinic.

One forestry officer was reported critically injured.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • India • Leopards
  1. WinterClover

They had no right to kill that animal. The only reason it came into a village is that people are over taking their habitat and killing their food sources. Shame on these people!!

July 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • lad

buddy that village is 200 years old....
      you do the math...

i hope your vegetarian to be talking like this... all animals are equal, this animal was putting children at risk, it absolutely had to be killed... or captured, in this case, killed...

July 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bwhana

Hey Nostro, if he was using a shotgun the cat would still be on the loose and the guy with the
    gun would be mauled.

July 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. encricorosan

I wish there were a real predator like in the Sci-fi movies "The predator" could come down and hunt us down one by one just for sport (most especially anyone in the army or carrying a weapon). This would truly be a lesson of humility to all humans.

July 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • lad

would you say the same thing if this animal killed 3 young kids???,

do you eat animals?, i hope not with your kinds of comments, or do you place more importance on one type of animal to the next?

July 20, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SICKTOMYSTOMACH

WHAT DO ANY OF THESE COMMENTS BUT A FEW, HAVE TO DO WITH THIS STORY? YOU PEOPLE SERIOUSLY NEED TO FIND SOMETHING TO DO.

July 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad

I'm thinking Nebraska will win the Big Ten this fall.

July 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hingedlwnb

See? This is the difference between dogs and cats. I'm almost positive that if our cat was the size of, say, a Saint Bernard that he would spend most of his day figuring out ways to eat me.

July 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bonniehaha

hingedlwnb: funniest thing I've read in a long time...not appropriate or empathetic but truely funny! I will go home and look at my cat in a different way! still laughing!

July 20, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • frank

hahahahah!

July 20, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • BlackRacist

That is amazing...

July 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stacey

OMG laughing so hard!

July 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

We are also lucky not be be the size of mice.

July 20, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

omg.. too funny.. I do have one cat I think that might try that!!

July 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eric

these photos look like shots from a movie

July 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sporizon

I wish that leopard had killed them all. Humans are pestilence.

July 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeyZeus

I agree. They live in a forest! Do they expect the wildlife to move away?? Typical Idiot response to a man made problem

July 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Randoms

It's a cat. If I got killed by a cat, I'd die embarrassed. I wish they had troops out there like that to stop them from rummaging through your garbage or phuck'n and fighting in the bushes at night. bang bang. Keep leapards and cats IN the house please.

July 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andurill

This is sad. These animals are being pushed out of their homes by man and are paying very high prices for something they have no control over.

July 20, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kevro

I love animals but I am seriously amazed at how many people posted remarks almost indicating a higher regard for the well-being of the predator than for the villagers and forestry personnel. Without question, the most prudent action to take is to terminate the animal. Certainly it is important to do everything possible to maintain and sustain animal habitats but if they venture into human specific areas it's time to unload the clip on 'em. The life-threatening damage these creatures can impose in a split-second certainly merits being safe rather than sorry. I've heard stories about animals like these and some bears charging someone with no intent to harm, but simply to warn. In my opinion, behaviour like this should be met with some very real bullets because if, heaven for bid, you've predicted the animal's intention inaccurately, you could lose your life like the snap of a finger. This would not be a chance I would be willing to take just because it is a beautiful animal.

July 20, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • HeyZeus

Stop moving into their domain and they will stop silly humans. nuff said

July 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Curry

Wow, yet another example of Indian incompetence, can't even successfully tranquilize a leopard.

July 20, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kirk

Poor leopard. It was just helping with population control in India who have way too many people.

July 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Olen

So the number of people that a cat get to kill is greater than three, but less than six, before it's time to kill the cat.

I find that interesting.

July 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

"...attacked six people in West Bengal, India, according to media reports...The leopard attacked a woman and two men..."

Ummm, so what were the other three people that were attacked?

July 20, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cane

That Leopard didn't go crazy; that Leopard went Leopard!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ lad:
    You hope I "feel bad"–che lingua?–for cows when I eat them?
    I LOVE cows. I heart-symbol cows!
    Perhaps I love them most when they are being fillet mignon, but I also love them when they are being prime ribs, or even skirt steak...and yes, even when they're being hamburger meat.
    I do–I really love cows a lot!
    They're doing what I bought them to do.

July 20, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |