Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama
President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
July 22nd, 2011

Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama

House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.

"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.

President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.

The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • John Boehner
  1. Mmmmm

What da hell for???

July 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. GP

My thoughts exactly.

What will the be about?

July 22, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sharky

At this point, I don't care. He is a talks the most says the least President that is utterly pointless. It will just be another "I, I, I, me, me, me" speech.

July 22, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mike

I don't want a statement, I want a fair honest solution that will address the concerns facing this great country.

July 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • John D

Well, good luck to you.

There's a faction of the Republican Party in the House that is absolutely stonewalling on this issue. They won't accept tax increases, even in combination with spending cuts. Their behavior is reminiscent of the Democratic Party's back in 1860. "Give us everything. We offer nothing in return."

Not really the best way to behave in a system that was designed from the beginning to foster compromise.

July 22, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John D

Boehner doesn't seem to be in control of his own party in the House, so who cares?

July 22, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Orchid333

What a wuss!! He ended talks because he's absolutely, positively unwilling to compromise. And finally we're getting the President we hoped for – one who won't cave on the things that matter.

July 22, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Max

How nice that Boehner just quits...when we all know that no matter what the POTUS proposes, the GOP will vote against it...I am so sick of everyone trying to sabotage any kind of solution, no matter which side proposes it...I'd like to throw the lot of them out!!!!!

July 22, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. john

Exactly more talk and positioning. House has put forth two bills that were voted and past, Cut, CAP and Balance and a budget that takes 4T out. Senate and Pres just keep criticizing and never put on paper and bill a real plan!!

July 22, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Doug

He's going to talk with Senate leaders instead? Good luck with that! The Senate has a Democratic majority, and most of us are really annoyed at the President for giving up way too much in talks already.

Again, good luck Mr. Boehner.

July 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Maryanne McCarthy

I say let the default happen & then the Republicans will know what ignorant asses they are!
    The Republicans will definitely be blamed now that they stopped talking. Pres. Obama will for sure be re-elected ..... who could trust Republicans now?

July 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

We should put blame on all, not just the GOP.

We also need to stop pushing off this debt. All Americans need to come together, pay a little more get a little less to have this issue resolved.

July 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bunny

I've never met a Republican I could trust...

July 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dean from Michigan

I see more and more that the American population has recognized that the Tea Party freshmen in Congress are there for one purpose and one purpose only, to make a statement on taxes at all costs. They are, in essence, political suicide bombers, not caring if they get re-elected or not.

In that light, I don't understand how Tea Party activists, such as Bachmann and Palin, can still be considered to be viable candidates, nor can I understand how any member of the GOP can be taken seriously in the upcoming Presidential election when their party is so fractured.

We worry about outsiders entering the country and hurting Americans and yet our own native sons and daughters have entered the Halls of Congress and dealt a major blow to the safety, security and future of every average American.

These are sad times indeed for our experiment in Freedom. How do we repair this damage? Does anybody know? Does anybody even care anymore? It's disheartening when extremists can replace American security and public welfare with party doctrine. May the powers that be bless the United States of America and save us from those that would destroy us, even from within.

July 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. denise buchman

What type of example are our elected officials, as well as adult role models, is this dysfunction providing our young upcoming citizens?

When so many people are struggling without jobs, this type of news is almost too much to bear for the average people who voted and trusted these people in power.

As a small business owner and single mother – I find this makes my stomach turn. Our country has lost its edge, integrity and plain old common sense!

We are about a lot of talk and can't walk the walk!

July 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Peter

You can't negotiate if you aren't prepared to compromise on at least something. Hopefully Americans will have the intelligence to recognize the party who don't understand this basic concept, and lay the blame on them. Over 50% of us didn't vote for you morons.

July 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SPENDMO

Bonher is a crier and a quiter. Wall Street will go down everyday there is not a deal. Obama is away too much to please the GOP. Where is the housing and jobs plan coming out the House?

July 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |