Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama
President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
July 22nd, 2011

Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama

House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.

"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.

President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.

The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • John Boehner
  1. Lynn

It is ridiculously sad that once again, " If I can't have my way, I'm taking my marbles and going home." is the slogan for the Republicans. Since this President took office, they have been more focused on him as a man, a black man, and less on why they got the majority of the House – to get work done. And why is it that every important issue and vote comes at the last minute? What is Congress doing during the rest of the session? In my government class, I was taught that Congress is the legislative branch that makes the law. Congress: DO YOUR JOB!

July 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. glsuca

Boehner is being totally disrespectful to the President of the United States. I don't care if you agree with
    t he President or not............he deserves the respect of the Speaker. It's time to stop acting like school kids in a playground fight. Get to work........that's why you are in D.C. BTW, if the tax benefits are so important to BIG business, etc.......why haven't they helped over the past ten plus years!!! If you are stupid enough to think BIG business is worried about the poor and middle class then you are really in la-la-land. They could care less about the common folk..........alll they care about is the $$$bottom$$$$ line...........nothing else!

July 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Beverly McAlister

Who is this John Boehner? Our next Judis?
    I know that we are nothing more than cattle, But even ranchers know how important their livestock are, They are fed, & half way taken care of. I believe the days of a two party government are over for it doesn't work anymore. This is a new era with different needs, We need a government that can see these needs, Not some fossil stuck in the 19th century, Thank you Mr President for showing some emotion, There should be more visible anger for this Greed Machine,
    Thank You.....

July 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Y WALK

I just find it incredible that someone would not return a call from the President of the United States, and behave in such a manner displayed over the past days. This political grandstanding has to stop and they are all responsible to do what is best for the country and the American People. I will certainly never vote for the Republicans again as long as I live, and having been one for 62 years, should the Democrats behave in that manner I will not vote for them either. Disgraceful behaviour Mr Boehner and the same to your puppets.

July 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • letbfree

You are only hearing part of the story, Obama also walked out of the meetings one day – this site must not have mentioned it. There was a deal and when it came to getting it done and signed, Obama raised the amount he wanted, you don't make deals and then change it at signing time.

July 24, 2011 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mike Sulich

Good show! John "Bonehead" sure knows how to run the House!!?? Looks more like Kindergarden !

July 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • letbfree

Your main man also walked out of meetings – you should hear all the news.

July 24, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. SPENDMO

Countdown to Showdown. The budget, deficit reduction, and debt ceiling should be held at the same time. If the debt ceiling is not raised, it will cause alot of pensions will to be hurt, not to mention States. The Seniors are being hostage.

July 22, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Stuck

Fire the senate for two months. Stop and make hard decisions, be a hero or a villan. Cant please them all, and if u need help contact me. I got the ideas but i Dont want the publicity! The knowledge i possess is for the people not the individual!

July 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Andrea

Tried to email Boehner via his website, to express my disgust with his party walking away from the talks. But alas the server has been busy for the last hour. I wonder why!

July 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mekell

I hope the super60 hold out till they d-fault. Voted for this president as a moderate. I never wanted this heathcare omnibus, though. He didn't care what we who didn't want it thought. Another fraud program I'll pay into and never see. Free lunch is over. Get your own.

July 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AmericanLady

President Obama is going to be remembered as "the last reasonable man" in this debt ceiling fight. Thank you, Ross Douthat, for that phrase. I know you don't want the president seen this way when the dust clears from this battle. Taxes must be raised along with spending cuts. I believe the Tea Party's unreasonable insistence on no tax increases is dangerous to our economic health and that they're shutting out the Republican moderates in this country. It's time for reasonable voices within the party to make themselves heard.

July 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jim Robertson

Here is what an economist with George Mason University has to say about the threat of United States debt default:

"...it would appear to be quite likely that the United States will experience a debt crisis within the next two decades, unless the path for fiscal policy changes from what is projected by the Congressional Budget Office."

Here is the rest of Arnold Kling's study on the likelihood of the United States defaulting on its debt and when that is most likely to happen:

Let's hope that Congress ceases playing their political games.

July 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kelly Smith

Thank God for Boehner!! I am so happy he stood on his principles and walked away. This president is determined to destroy this country and take away all hope for future generations. Congress has done their job. There is a plan, a good plan and it passed in congress. The president just refuses to acknowledge it.

July 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

A plan to take away from the seniors and poor. None from oil companies or the weathiest that have tax exemptions we the middle class will ever see.

July 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gnarly Erik

Go cry us a river John Boehner while you stab the rest of the country in the back for the sake of your (bad) dogma and political partisanship. What you and your Tea Heads are doing will destroy the GOP. Sadly, it will take a heavy toll on the rest of the nation too. Our grandchildren's children will be paying for your stupidly egregious hubris.

July 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • letbfree

You are kidding right?? The DEMS had NO plan, NONE, they are just rejecting anything that is brought forward. Our grandchildren and children are so far in dept because of the DEM spending the last 3 years – 800 BILLION and OBAMA CARE – he has spent more in 3 yrs than all the former presidents together. And who also got us in 2 more wars costing us billions?

July 24, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mekell

Everyone's welcome to fiscal responsibilty. Gays, straights, pigment challenged, not so pigment challenged, atheists, christians, ad infinitum. Chuck your party for a few and let's get our wallets straight. The way I see it, there are two kinds of people, those who believe the government is good with our money, and the rest of us.

July 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. miguel

I'm setting up a pitchfork and torch street stand for a quick buck! This is gonna get ugly.

July 22, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |