Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama
President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
July 22nd, 2011

Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama

House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.

"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.

President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.

The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • John Boehner
  1. John Doughboy

Hey fellows in DC, you have to get something settled soon and very soon, or we'll probably have the USA credit rating hit rock bottom, re-enter the heavy recession/depression, fiscal policy will fly into space with nothing accomplished. This is important so get some settlement, temporarily if necessary. Otherwise you may have a run on all the banks, all bonds cashed in for fear of default–and the list continues. Get with the Program guys or else your pay may be hung up also...

July 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

All I know is that this is why we all need to get out and vote when ever there is an election. We need to start voting the best people into office, regardless of party affliction. Screwtape, I don't blame rich people. Most people who are wealthy worked really hard for their money and I have nothing against them, I just ask that they pay their fair share, just like the rest of us do. I hear from Republicans that why should the wealthy be punished for doing well, in terms of paying their fair share of tax. I ask why should I be punished for not having an income of over $100,000 a year?

July 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • guy

@Joe: Very well stated. This is America and we want the ability to go to school, work hard and have extra zeros on our checks. I don't want EVERY rich person to pay for the mistakes our government makes, nor do I think we should have endless welfare for people, because that's not fair to those who work hard. The fact of the matter is we are at a point when all the hard working wealthy, middle class and poor people need to tell the deadbeat rich and poor people to stop looting our bank accounts. The current political establishment is making this polarized on purpose and many don't see that. Those who want easy money are ruining it for everybody else and they have everyone at each other's throats.

July 22, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. FU Bob

I'm taking a moment to say how much I hate the spell check on my DROID phone. It has a mind of its own.

July 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bill J

I don't think that the House Speaker or the House Majority Leader ever intended to negotiate. What a sad state of affairs this country is in!

July 22, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • letbfree

They have had about 4 plans now, the DEMS have had NONE! Only plan from them is raise the debt trillions and raise taxes so they can spend more. You think only the rich will pay more taxes, you can tax them 100% and they couldn't pay the added cost, they have to raise yours too.

July 24, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
    • letbfree

They have had about 4 plans now.! Only plan from them is raise the debt trillions and raise taxes so they can spend more. You think only the rich will pay more taxes, you can tax them 100% and they couldn't pay the added cost, they have to raise yours too.

July 24, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mekell

Really, name a program the conserves robbed to fund their "capitalist takeover"? None, that's how many. Barney Frank said "we must make housing affordable to everyone (anyone)". He got his way. Rather than the banks lose their azz, they bet against it. Yall got mad because they found a way out of your shatty losing proposition. Just try to take their money YOURSELVES by FORCE. Chickenshats need the government to do your work.

July 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Can you explain that better?

July 22, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • guy

Oh yes and the siphoning of half way decent jobs out of the country had nothing to do with people not being able to pay their mortgages eh? You've got people with master's degrees delivering pizzas for God's sake. It's time they stop blaming one party or one demographic and clean up their own mess. I have to clean up my own messes in life without pity from anyone except my family perhaps. Make these corporate welfare frauds fix what they caused. They can fix the other welfare recipients while their at it too. Nobody ever felt sorry for me especially not any corporate ceo.

July 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. followthemoney

And you can bet that the room smelled alot better after he (Boehner) left.

July 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mekell

Yes, no more social programs or wars where the bombs cost more than any thing they hit.

July 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • snorf

Very LIMITED social programs. I'm in college and can't afford health insurance. How about working that into my student loan? People on welfare should be on the pill and targeted assassinations of some world leaders might do more than leveling an entire village.

July 22, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Snorf – Why should people on welfare be on the pill? Who are the world leaders that you think should be assassinated? How about instead of giving women on welfare the pill, we should give everyone on welfare job applications and the proper support need to get off of welfare. And how did you develop the ability to distinguish between people who should live or die?

July 22, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mekell

Haven't figured it all out, just know everyone who works pays something in yet so many out of work and our best wasn't good enough. Here we are, another war every other week, unemployment high, housing a mess, and everyone looking once again to the evil corporations to get us out.

July 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • snorf

@Mekell: Those lovely corporations love poverty and war. Ever hear of defense contractors? They love poor people because it provides cheap labor. I just want the bad ones to fix what they did to screw everything up the ones that have the home team's back can be left alone. You belong in Washington just like the politicians who polarize every issue. Why should some guy who paid into SS his whole life get it reduced so the ones who caused it can escape responsibility? It's like me running my car into your house then acting like it was your fault and you should pay for it.. It would be my responsibility to pay for the damages. Simple analogy but it works. Maybe not for you.

July 22, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. funky bunch

I would like to know why wouldn't SS checks be paid out. I thought the money I have been putting into it for the last 30+ years was safe. Yeah that's right, they borrowed all our money and never paid it back! Now we should be expected to replenish the well. Enough with the borrowing, stop spending, and pay your bills.

July 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Abby McGrath

My SS had better be there when I need it.
    I do not care about robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    I do not care about the government borrowing money from the SS fund.
    They'd better pay it back.
    No, I am not one of those who will be depending on my SS alone in my senior years.
    I have invested, and wisely.
    Any losses I have are mine, done with my money, so I'm ok with that.
    I do not like the government playing with MY money.
    It had better be there.

July 22, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sherryann

John Boehner you are acting like a punk... how do you let a couple of peewee rookies bully you and tell you what to do. You are suppose to lead not be lead by these bully rookies. John please know that these unstabled rookies will turn on you and all the senior republicans later.. watch out... they don't care for you. They only want to see you fail John. Keep focus om making things better for as many Americans as you can. You know that the middle class and the poor do suffer the most. None of those bullies from the Tea Party are poor. Don't allow these rookies of the Tea Party to dictate to you. They don' know what they are doing.

July 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Here's An Idea

Stop making me and my life the focus and worry about you and your life. I bet things would be sooo much better and less traumatic for everyone. Try it you might like it. Go live.. Be free!

July 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dean from Michigan

I see more and more that the American population has recognized that the Tea Party freshmen in Congress are there for one purpose and one purpose only, to make a statement on taxes at all costs. They are, in essence, political suicide bombers, not caring if they get re-elected or not.

In that light, I don't understand how Tea Party activists, such as Bachmann and Palin, can still be considered to be viable candidates, nor can I understand how any member of the GOP can be taken seriously in the upcoming Presidential election when their party is so fractured.

We worry about outsiders entering the country and hurting Americans and yet our own native sons and daughters have entered the Halls of Congress and dealt a major blow to the safety, security and future of every average American.

These are sad times indeed for our experiment in Freedom. How do we repair this damage? Does anybody know? Does anybody even care anymore? It's disheartening when extremists can replace American security and public welfare with party doctrine. May the powers that be bless the United States of America and save us from those that would destroy us, even from within.

Hopefully our future gets brighter.

July 22, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Amen.

July 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

People have to just start thinking. When it comes to politics, a party system doesn't make sense to me. Who cares what party your in, you should be making decisions based on what is best for all Americans, not a select few. We need to discuss issues, not be a petulant child, John Boehner. I think thats how we get out of this dean. What do you think?

July 22, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scottish Mama

We need an Audit of the federal reserve, who took what money from what progam and where it went. We need an audit. March on Washington on Labor Day. One of the few middle class has off still.

July 22, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Aj

I believe thy army of evil doers thinks the whole lot of us is with out mind. Can we say (good cop/bad cop) they're running a show and all the players are doing there part to draw the attention to *them* and NOT whats behind the CURTAIN over there... "ummm, don't mind all those politicians ever there stuffing IOU"S back int to the FEDERAL SERVE."

July 22, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |