Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama
President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
July 22nd, 2011

Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama

House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.

"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.

President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.

The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • John Boehner
  1. Jazzzzzzzz

oppa, make that 14 trillion plus the added $$$ the ceiling will be raised. BTW... this will all be paid for by another IOU to the Federal reserve!

July 23, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Gee, I wish I could give iou's to my bank. Audit, we need and audit. (thats what i am singing and i am sticking to that.)

July 23, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

Hmmm, looks like Jazzzzzzzzz'z been doing some homework. IMF? World Bank? Uncle Sam's the boss of them too ain't he? I mean, look how he bosses around the Fed. lmao

July 23, 2011 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@phil you are usually gone or do not come back, how do we get an audit? I know Paul wants an audit of gold, but what do you do to get an audit of fed.? Helll lets say audit the IMF while we are at it, how would people go to do such a thing?

July 23, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Homeschool (economics)

"OK mommy. But I still don't get how the Fed owns The Crossroads Mall in Norman, OK and most of Harley-Davidson now. 'Splain it to me again pls."

July 23, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I guess it worked the same as when a developer tried to buy all our homes out and use eminent domain. The would use what is tif (tax incremate financing) money to help them and that is money which is generated by our tax money. So in effect we are paying for our homes to be taken, when we shop in this city. Oh, and after 7 years and taking down the value of our homes, he did not have the money secured at a bank to buy out the neighborhood. This is also how the wealthy get wealthy using our money to get money.

July 23, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Homeschool (economics)

Off to worky. Good seeing you all. Jazzy, Scottish Mama, pole dummy?(who is that) annnnnnnd Joey. Where did Joey go off to? Kinda late for the gym.

July 23, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

@ hmmm, I forget your name ahhh is it Philip? well in any case yes I have only last night after reading this article; the bretton Woods system popped up, I seem to remember reading some time ago and looked it up again. My Fathers name is Maynard; John Maynard Keynes. seems to have started it. the idea that all nations would to avoid substantial trade deficits or surpluses, laughable now.

July 23, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

opps, we need to COMMUNICATE our thoughts to the government NOW before August 2nd. It's very FUSTERATING for me that I don;t understand a press release of theirs HALF THE TIME.

July 23, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

Bye, Philip, Jazzzzzz, i want to now look up your stuff now, geez. Have a great weekend.

July 23, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Scottish Mama how are u today? and don't bother you wont UNDERSTAND A WORD HE SAYS.

July 23, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

OPPS thats rather mean but who cares friends are soooo wishy washy,

July 23, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

forgive me for my rant but my phone has been PERMANTLY disabled.

July 23, 2011 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

all you need to know is that the FEDERAL RESERVE will be pillaged for the rest of time, as long as men walk the earth.

July 23, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. wishy warshy

Wishy warshy is kinda soft though. Better than hardy snardy.

July 23, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. Scottish Mama

Hey Jazzzzzz I was gone to investigate and in the short time it seems his economics theories are predictable and go with ebb and tide conditions. Keynesian economics seem to help capitalism. I guess not only in real life but in economicics middle class are bound to lose, since we do not have the capital. You are right it would be hard to understand the works of economist if you have no background in economy. I desparately try to find sense in our government but I am always left with my hands in the air. I do not expect the gov. to explain it but to make hard decisions that will not keep taking everything the middle class has, to make the capitalist happy. I do think that the regular working people need to face the fact that we are sinking deeper into the void and we will always be the end of the stick and the american dream is just that. The promise of being is all we have. As far as Federal reserve, I think if most would remember this and start paying down their own debt and working as I have to not have debt, paying off charge cards monthly or do without what i thought I needed things would start to change in the direction that would benefit the masses and not the few. Population is what also stiffles us as a nation, without having enough jobs to sustain us.

July 23, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

sinking into a deeper voids correct Mama. the system of man which is followed and not Gods will always *be*, therefore don't expect the American dream to be reachable for the MANY, only the very tiny few. this is our future, or at least one part of it.
      as far as population goes.. it wouldn't be such a problem if we start using the EARTH as it was intended to be used. IE: using NATURAL resources to fuel our daily lives, such as heating our homes , cars and electronic gagets.
      final thought... DONT EXPECT TO RETIRE folks, just keep moving till u drop, cause UNCLE SAM is your MASTER.

July 23, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ jen:
    My daddy handed me not one penny. I have supported myself completely since I was eighteen (18) years old, and I put myself through several college degrees on scholarships and work, frequently working at night.
    I paid my dues to being born poor.
    And I ain't poor no more.
    That's how America is supposed to work.

July 23, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Home Economics:
    I didn't make it to the gym this AM.
    Why?
    I had to get to WORK very early, as I shall tomorrow–Sunday, Sabbath, Day of REST, get it?–so I missed my deltoid rotation day, although I still did isometrics and some leg exercises at home anyway, as I do every day BEFORE the gym.
    Know why Joey is not obese?
    Now I'm on a break.

July 23, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

And when will you have your american dream?

July 23, 2011 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |