Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama
President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
July 22nd, 2011

Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama

House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.

"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.

President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.

The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • John Boehner
  1. Scottish Mama

Enjoy your break,

July 23, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. rose

Hope you can come to an agreement ! It's not just the USA that will be a effected by you talks.

July 23, 2011 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. rose

I think the rich such pay more taxes.

July 23, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I think the wealthy who pay none should pay first.

July 23, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

My American Dream was never sitting under a palm tree and doing nothing.
    My dream was always doing the work I love, being recognized for it, and having plenty for me and my family.
    I have that now.

July 23, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I have that too. My mom always says it is her fault that her children cannot sit down too long. I am off to a picnic, sorry you have to work. All work and no play though, makes you know what. Don't work yourself to death. I guess there will be no cape for you this weekend. Take care Joey, Scottish

July 23, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mackfro

I think the American people should read between the lines when the Republicans call the tax increase the President is talking about, a tax on the American peoples. When it's a tax increase on most of the wealthy in charge of this country; politicians. And the wealthest people living in this country and not paying that much in taxes because they use the tax loopholes that the politicians have put into law. The Republicans want to cut the budget on welfare, social security, and benefits paid to veterans. GET REAL AMERICA, SEE THE REPUBLICAN PARTY FOR WHAT IT IS! THE PARTY OF THE RICH, THAT PLAY ON THE MINDS OF THE POOR IN THE PARTY THAT WANT TO BECOME RICH.

July 23, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. Philip

@Joey. Saturday Joey. The Sabbath is, and always has been on Saturday, not Sunday. Sunday is the first day of the week, not the last day. That's why we put Sunday on the left side of our calenar week. We read left-to-right. Just so ya know.

July 23, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pat

You have to get this settled-you are adults. American citizens cannot suffer for your disagreements. Checks cannot stop for people who get SS or Disabilit.y. You are here for the people. Dont harm them financially. Remember why you are here.

July 23, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

And 'Homeschool' said a lot more than Joey gym. How did the Fed come to own The Crossroads Mall in Norman, OK and most of Harley-Davidson Joey? And why won't that praying, God-fearing man that you voted for allow US to audit the Fed? Joey? (and you never did answer: would you allow kids that were in your charge to play where 800 times as many child-moestors habg-out? It was in reference to the CDC reporting that gay men are 800 times more likely to have AIDS than hetero men, and since people have contracted AIDS from their dentists, would it be a good idea to hang-around a gay gym.)

July 23, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  9. U r a tool

@Joey: You defend ALL rich, but make no distinction between those who sell their neighbors out in the name of free market capitalism and the decent people who decided to pay the taxes, environmental costs, worker safety and at least minimum wage. You are not as smart as you think you are, because you think always in black and white. There are never any gray areas with you. There are some pretty nasty rich people out there and some very good ones. We need to make distinctions unlike the politicians. Either way the politicians are all wealthy, so this is all for show. They will keep taking from us until even you are poor and cursing them. Mark my words.

July 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Queen

Joey isn't here right now.
    Joey said that.

According to what Philip has told me, the Federal Reserve will *never* be audited. (At least, that's what I got out of it!)
    In other words, we're fu..oops, doomed.

July 23, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

I posted a little while ago, but the CNN censors obviously felt I shouldn't bad mouth our illustrious speaker of the house. So let me see if rephrasing my comment will make a difference. It is a total shame that this man would be so self righteous as to not care for the plight of the average citizen who could really use some help in this economy. The president has agreed to very unpopular cuts in the programs that actually help us little people, yet he still refuses to raise taxes on the people who have the majority of the money. We continue to pay our taxes which really does cut into the necessities of life for us, while the wealthy minority pay nothing or next to nothing. How in any way is this fair ? Mr. Boehner, if you want to show you are fair to all the people, how about you and all the rest of your rich clique pay your fair share of the taxes ?

July 23, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Queen

I remember the case about the dentist. The dentist had AIDS. I'm not sure that many dentists have given AIDS to their patients, but I remember this one isolated case. Are there more I'm not aware of?
    Any thinking person would know that gay men are more prone to HIV than straight men; where's the shock in that?

And *what* does this have to do with the topic above?

July 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

OK, I'm curious. What DOES this have to do with the topic above ?

July 23, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim213

Obama wants the U.S. to default so he can do what democrats do best , blame it on someone else !

July 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Actually REP. Eric Cantor would financially gain if the debt ceiling is not raised, he put his money in a fund to bet against the united states. Washington Monthly has an articale. The longer it is put off the more he makes. Nice try.

July 23, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Actually look at history, republicans run up the tab and democrats usually pick up the tab. So republicans are the dine and dash and democrats pay the cash.

July 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. auntdeanie

The huge corporations and top 2% of US people have a strangle hold on the GOP lawmakers in Washington by way of payoffs (some Dems too)! Trickle down economics has never been successful (ie: Regan & the 2 Bushes) Come on states with Republican Representatives and Senators....let them know loud and clear that they can't balance any budget only on the backs of the "lower & middle" class of this country.

July 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Philip:
    I'm here for a few minutes.
    You, of all those here, should know not to "inform" me about the Sabbath, Seventh Day Adventists, Christian Church confusion, and other hocus-pocus nonsense.
    BTW, you said that I am not as smart as I think I am. I really cannot recall, at this time, my telling you that I thought that I was smart, stupid, or in one of your "gray areas."
    I'm not going to be dragged down from principle by night-and-fog accusations of ignoring "gray areas", and by picking at details chosen by you as distractions.
    I will only agree with you that some rich persons are indeed very nasty. There are also many extremely kind rich persons.
    As to answering your anti-gay question, yes, I would "allow" anyone I knew, including children, to associate with gay men (and lesbians), just as I would let them associate with me and my wife: who knows what we may be carrying?
    I advocate (intense) aspiration to wealth as the best possible stimulus to our pathetic economy.
    I didn't say anything about admiring the personalities of all rich people.
    I admire all aspiration.

July 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Well then if the wealthy (top 2%) are going to stimulate us, when will this happen? lol.

July 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |