Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama
President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
July 22nd, 2011

Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama

House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.

"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.

President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.

The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • John Boehner
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

ADDENDUM FOR PHILIP:
    If fact, I advocate the aspiration to GREAT wealth for all.
    I think that it was Leon Surmelian (sp?) who said, in his TECHNIQUES OF FICTION WRITING, "go big with your writing." At least he quoted it. I gave away my copy of that book.
    GO BIG with your aspiration.
    I can even quote some wisdom from the Bible, which I don't absolutely believe, in the prayer of Jabez: "...that You would bless me INDEED...increase my shores..."

July 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Joey... I don't seem to remember you being this arrogant. Really hope that's not you. And I thought you weren't married, if so this Joey above may be a troll. hmmm

July 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Scottish Mama:
    Maybe the stimulation won't come the way you expect it.
    As a kid, I played the piano better after I first saw a film of Paderewsky.
    Then I heard Horowitz and played even better.
    I never resented their being so good: I said, "I want that too."

July 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Would you ever *want* for God more than the THINGS of the earth?

July 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Joey, as I have found maybe you play by ear better than you are a visual learner. I will listen to music and think how talented that person is, I do not want to play but do admire the talent they have. I do not aspire to be wealthy, only to have the people I love and admire around me. I do not resent the top 2% wealthy, I just want a level playing field. If the middle class pays taxes they should too.

July 23, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, Jazzzzzzz!
    Moi? Arrogant?
    I have at least three trolled messages a little bit above this, but I'm the Joey you know.
    Did I say I was single?
    At least I always wear a ring.
    Trolls highjack me all the time.
    I'm very liberal socially and fiscally conservative.
    Have to take calls right now.

July 23, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

If that's you in response to Philip and Mama.. yeah it seems kinda arrogant. pls re-read your posts. Maybe you didn't mean to come across that way but some may take it as such. Gotta go my self. 🙂

July 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jj

stick to your guns john! screw this president and all his liberal cronies! i love all the tea party comments! we r a threat and dont forget it! 2012 is around the corner and you libs r scared of ur azzes! love it!

July 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Scottish Mama... It's all about the % of your income for me, regarding each individuals income. while the middle class may pay more in % of their income, the weathly may pay much less of a portion. NOT FAIR
    TTFN

July 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I think when I say wealthy, people think I am saying $250,000. That is not wealthy to me. The Pres and Boehner need to be more specific. We cannot make educated guesses when we vote if we do not have the info. The pres did say in his address that the top 2% pay litttle or no taxes, so they pay none to little, oil co. and the profits from us this past year were great. So why not pay equal to the percentage to what you make. I believe if there is a sliding scale we can handle it. I am not afraid to pay taxes, just do not like some paying none because they have offshore accounts or the ability to get around it. The banks and deregulation caused this fiasco and the politicians screwed up not making them pay us back or pulling the people out instead of the banks. We know who always pays, the tax payers. I just cannot see the seniors and medicare paying the price again because of scr ew ups in the system

July 23, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. fernace

I'm a fair minded person & in years past have sided with republicans about some issues & democrats about others. It is clear to most working class Americans that the GOP aren't playing anymore! They are out & proud about their ass kissing of the rich & uncaring! As a nanny I worked for many wealthy families & even those who were Republican were nice & considerate, never as belligerent as those in Washington. What is wrong with these people!? They know full & well the ramafications Not raising the ceiling will have! They are truly holding us "hostage" here! What they want is to strip the working class of everything we have payed for! Everything has taken a hit, & the "shared sacrifice" is trotted out 1ce more! I want to ask "What damn shared sacrifice?" This budget balace is all on the backs of middleclass, poor, kids,elderly & ill! The politicos in DC need to read Dr. Seuss book "Yertle, the Turtle!" They need to grow a concience & raise the debt ceiling! They can't blame Dems if they don't!!

July 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I am under the asumption that the wealthy do not want to pay and the seniors and poor always get scre wed because they do not have the lobbyist, maybe AARP to promote their side, or have less clout. I also have come to believe that republicans are afraid of the wealthy and are in their pockets. To pay off the debt is staggering. Our country needs to be out in less than 10 years or we may become the property of china.

July 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Scottish Mama:
    Let $ go for a minute.
    I am a professional ("classical")pianist.
    That talent presents pretty much the way it did with me. When I was three years old, somebody left us a piano and I could play anything I'd ever heard on it within one hour. ("By ear,")
    Left there, my ability would have limited to playing gospel. Jazz, etc., although many of the best players in those fields are also terrific classical players.
    I learned to read notes by studying. I studied with famous teachers. By the time I had to support myself in music at 18, I–from desperation and panic–could suddenly sight-read anything put in front of me–WELL. (The survival instinct.)
    I've played concerts in most parts of the world.
    Don't google me: Joey is not my name.

July 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Joey, so you are more gifted than most to begin with. Some people are born with nothing or are never given the opportunity to develope. You have had help along the way. The poor do not have the chance you have been given. (The right schools and teachers) Some do not even know that life can exist and be better outside of their neighborhoods. That is why I say reform of those programs to train and educate alongside welfare. Welfare is not support, its a condition that needs more, To be an incentive to help make poor want to be more. Don't worry I have never thought to google you, What you have done is not the norm. I have come from a family that was supportive and have raised my own to strive for what not only they can be, but to choose what will make them happy. Yo Ma,The violinist,said his father taught him that it takes 3 generations to produce a musician. Are you a 3rd generation of players? It takes many gernerations if your family does not promote school, education, or a different way of life.

July 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

@ Scottish Mama... well said...well said 🙂 ( hands clapping in applause)

July 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I firmly believe that what would turn around the direction of our economy is a reversal of our people's mentality from the current one of dependency on government to a widespread acceptance of the type of individual aspiration I described in my comments above.
    I am accused of "arrogance," but I am really trying to contribute what I think this country needs: a complete change of mentality.

July 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I concur but I would call it a different culture, and an evolution to learning and understanding.

July 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

Joey? Here's a scripture taken from Genesis when God evicted Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden for their rebellious behavior. "With the sweat of your brow all of your days you will toil " he said to Adam. I find it peculiar how many people try in vain to get out from under this curse. Your money is worth less and less every year. Soon, we will be sweating our asses off all day long to buy a loaf of bread. Technology promised us ease of wealth and prosperity, new ways to make life easier to live. But prices are going up Joey...it's getting harder, not easier, for people to get by without going deep in debt, or for many, starving. It's not a bright future Joey. You just think it is for you.

July 23, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I think wealth will be for the few. Our system sets it up for that. You cannot have all chiefs and no indians. Who would go to war if you have all wealthy? War and all history has the extreme wealthy the few next to wealthy that have come up with an invention or job that is a product that is needed and millions of worikers that make it all go. The system is set up to have the majority of people as minions. Nations also fall at the worst of times because people get tired and realize that wealth will not be theirs. Others believe they are where they can be or persieve that they are on the right track, but we are left on the hampster wheel, and it is repeated with every generation. The faster I go the faster it goes.

July 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Whoa.
    @ Scottish Mama:
    First, Ma is a 'cellist, not a violinist.
    That's a good PR line, if he said it, but t'ain't necessarily so.
    I had genetics for music, obviously, but not real musicians. A little talent shown, especially in aunts, but surely not pros.
    I was not SENT to school. Schools wanted me, but my parents wanted me to be an MD. (Not so stupid, they.)
    I fought for it myself, with encouragement from great teachers from the time I was eleven.

July 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Scottish Mama... 250 G'ssss isn't good enough for ya, sheesh. And the 2 % of Americans can fork some over, I mean really it's not like their going to be out of house and sleeping on the side walk or some dusty side road. Truth is the 'world Bank' will allow the US to be in debt for as long as our military stays at full capacity. Finally to answer your comment about who will be paying down the debt, we all know it will be the people left in the work force after the last few Baby Boomers retire...which is NOT that long off. stash your money inside the mattress now is the safest way cause if Wall street ever has a fall again, it will be gone! our money that is. ha or what little you have of it now.

July 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

At Scottish Mama:
    You must not have heard me say how poor I was.
    I always worked, even in college (a combination of conservatories and universities.
    @ Philip:
    Not everybody will attain great wealth.
    One will rise higher by aiming for the stars than he would by aiming for the tops of trees.

July 23, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I heard it and know what you have said in the past. But maybe you misunderstood what I have said. Most people do not have your drive or tenasity. Most in welfare do not dream, they do not have parents to cheer them on or mentors to help them along. They lack drive and ambition. haven't tried to ruffle feathers, just my opinion. You have drive and ambition, some do not aspire or been inspired. You have.

July 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jazzzzzzzz

for some, who attain great wealth it's all about them and for some who attain great wealth its all about others. the stars are what all should reach for, yes Joey...you are correct, but it's in the *what* that your attaining that's the focus.
    I do love the Arts and God gave me the appreciation of it for sanity purposes. LOL, So ya I think your work is very important as to calm Gods children in times of distress. thanks Joey.

July 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Read fernace at 4:08.
    All Republicans–BTW, here's one–are not like the new ones in the House.
    It is because of the extremes of politicians like the NEW Republicans in DC that I support Obama's campaign for a second term.

July 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |