Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama
President Obama says House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.
July 22nd, 2011

Boehner ends debt talks with President Obama

House Speaker John Boehner says he has ended debt talks with President Barack Obama, CNN has learned.

"I have decided to end discussions with the White House and begin conversations with the leaders of the Senate in an effort to find a path forward," Boehner says in a letter to be sent to Republican House members.

President Barack Obama he has told the Republican and Democratic leaders in Congress to come to the White House on Saturday morning to "explain to me how we are going to avoid default" on the nation's debt.

The president said his administration had offered "an extraordinarily fair deal" to cut expenditures and raise revenues, in return for Congress agreeing to hike the nation's debt ceiling. But he said that House Speaker John Boehner "left (him) at the altar" by ending negotiations around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Barack Obama • Budget • John Boehner
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Jazzzzz:
    It may make you feel better about my fiscal conservatism to know that the ONLY reason I insisted on getting into music, and the only reason that I remain in it, is the art itself.
    There's a line in THE RED SHOES:
    "Why do you dance?"
    "Because I must."

July 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Ahh, your speaking to the Artist in me, that I understand. And why do you think you must? I'll tell you why...cause God made you that way! keep tickling those ivories Joey. 🙂 HE He

July 23, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

Both sides are stuffing IOU's into the federal reserve and leaving all those a fore mentioned in (Ferences) 4:08 post. WTG Ference, well said.

July 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

Correction pls insert after the word "post" (in the dust) opps sorry

July 23, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Scottish Mama:
    I thought about the generations of Virginia and Mississippi achievers in my family. At some points, some of them had very little money, but the major politicians, doctors, and developers (Florida) can be linked since 1769.
    Before that, I just never was curious.

July 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

So you see that generations of ambition, education, care, love, art, critical thinking can span generations. On welfare there is no hope so why try. It isn't having alot of money, it is having to survive the day to day, not able to dream of what you could be. That is why I brought up if welfare is reformed training and education is important, who knows maybe a fire will start and a mother or father could start to dream past their neighborhood.

July 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I still didn't get one penny from any of them!

July 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I know you do not have to tell me. I have been speaking about welfare.

July 23, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jazzzzzzzz

Another OMG, moment! I just read and article where..terrorists or drug dealers could create these offshore corporations with the help of legitimate companies in the U.S. A business called (companies incorporated). They sell 'incorporated kits' ha, no lie. the legitimate buisness can attain a company inside an hour. here's the clincher: the screening process has holes in it so wide that, Any Al-Qaeda terrorist or Mexican drug dealer can go online and get a company and a bank account set up in Central America. And BTW, the Banks are *less* than desirable...

July 23, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Seen it on the tele. They busted a home in seattle. So you think that big business and corporations don't have illegal offshore accounts? I know you are not naive. I think every transaction out of the us should be monitored and made to be on tax returns. The banks send all transactions to the IRS and bam you are taxed on money going out.

July 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Scottish Mama .. even places like Switzerland?

July 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I do not think we can monitor other counties,but they have to transfer the money out of the country. But of course there would be a way around that also by being paid directly from banks abroad to offshore. It's a mini pipedream.

July 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

opps this article actually mentioned Panama and places in that general area where this activity is booming.

July 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Not an FDIC?lol

July 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  8. EuphioTGank

i think if they get the president out of the equation they might get a deal done he can sign off on later

July 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

I think what ever makes them feel like they are in control. But they all want to save face don't they. I think if they could of done that it would have happened sooner, when biden was in there. I thought the Pres. stepped in after the going was already rocky. Can't we all just get along?

July 23, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Scottish Mama.. yet for those who live abroad the US is out of the equation, just have the monies sent to a legit bank and then transfer to the money laundering bank! poof your good to go. right?

July 23, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Scottish Mama

Right.

July 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jazzzzzzzz

Your really cool Mama, I would like some day for Banasy, raven, ole lady, me and yourself to have a pinaclauda's on the beach under over-sized unbrellas...while watching the studes stroll bye! He He

July 23, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

where u go MAMA CE-TA, I want to play a little game of tag.. see who can catch the most fellers! Ha.. sorry I'm not all there tonight. Goodnight all 🙂

July 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Sorry Jazzy, my son disconnected the computer in the middle of a sentence to you for cleaning. My laptop went blank. Enjoyed the bloggin though.

July 24, 2011 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. jj

tax the wealthy more!? do u stupid people know that 90 percent of taxes collected in this country come from the top 10 percent wage earner? then the dems just give their hard earned money to programs that enable people to never better themselves. pretty assinine. quit giving losers in this country a free ride at the expence of the rich. oh that would mean the libs would just die off

July 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miss Lucy

Not if the other side doesn't kill everyone off with their greed first. As evidently they have killed your education, since your grammar and syntax is atrocious.

July 24, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. Oh geez please know facts and numbers instead of talking points.

nd that most lower-income groups do the same. Who pays how much To put it in numbers, according to the analysis, the top 1 percent of earners account for 20.3 percent of total personal income in the United States and pay 21.5 percent of all federal and state taxes. The middle 20 percent of households earn 11.6 percent US income and pay 10.3 percent of taxes. The lowest 20 perce account for just 3.5 percent of income, and pay 2 percent of al taxes.

July 23, 2011 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fernace

I love y'all, you have great minds & thoughts ( JIF, jazzzzzzz,charlie crack, Scottish Mama) & Joey I know you are the type of Republican I usually don't find! I must say at this time most who I know are probably scratching their heads, going "how can I possibly agree with this, yet this is my party"! I suggested on another blog that we, who have been laid off, & are now dealing with 1/2 a job or none, should make a real reality video! Housewives of deployed military personel could certainly out do the rich, spoiled so called housewives who dont even clean their own homes or do their own laundry! How 'bout that! We need to truly get realistic here! Hollywood aint gon cut it! Washington wont either! We live in an era where reality is a Phone away! I think we, the people, need to take control over what is ours & not back down!!

July 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |