First gay couple weds in New York
The first same-sex couple to get married in New York kisses before the official who performed the ceremony.
July 24th, 2011

First gay couple weds in New York

A city official married the first couple in New York City to wed under the state's new law allowing same-sex marriage Sunday.

Phyllis Siegal, 77, and Connie Kopelov, 85, were married in a chapel at the city clerk's office as a crowd of onlookers cheered.

Hundreds of same-sex couples heard the news Friday that they made the cut in the marriage lottery that New York state instituted for Sunday when the state's Marriage Equality Act took effect.

The New York City clerk's office has been flooded with more than 2,600 requests for marriage licenses since the wording on the online application was changed from "Groom and Bride" to "Spouse A and Spouse B." The office could handle less than a third of those requests - gay or straight - on Sunday, according to a press statement the city released earlier in the week. The lottery was set up to allocate 764 slots for couples who want to obtain marriage licenses and/or be married at city clerk's offices on Sunday. If all 764 weddings actually take place on Sunday, it will set a one-day record for the city.

Marcos Chaljub and Freddy Zambrano were married after Siegal and Kopelov. The two tearfully said their vows as friends hovered and snapped pictures. "You're married!" one declared as celebratory hugs were exchanged afterward. Chaljub and Zambrano conducted last-minute preparations Saturday for their wedding, picking up bouquets of wildflowers for their bridesmaids and champagne for a family brunch afterward. The couple has been together for five years.

"I have certain people in my life, they're not totally OK with it, but they accept it, and just the fact they respect us because of that, it's really the most that I can ask for," Chaljub told CNN's Susan Candiotti.

The two have been wearing rings for five years, and said they don't plan to exchange new ones. "We're just going to polish them up and exchange them again," Chaljub said.

New York legalized same-sex marriage in June. The Marriage Equality Act was a priority for Gov. Andrew Cuomo after winning election in November. The law was passed under a Republican-led Senate after days of delays and negotiations between the two parties. New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, herself openly gay, told CNN New York is the place where the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) movement was born, and a place the world looks to.

"All eyes are upon it, and I believe it is going to help propel this movement forward faster than any of the other states have," Quinn said.

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire also allow same-sex marriage, as does the District of Columbia.

tx lottery

1. Philip

I condemn any priest who butt-loved a child. I don't hate the priest, I hate what he does to the rear-ends of boys and young men...setting these youngsters on a lifelong journey filled with all sorts of sordid twists if not given help to deal with the trauma. I don't hate those who do these sorts of things to each other either. I hate what they are are doing...not who they are. They are humans just like all of us and have choices to make just like the rest. I hate the fact that they choose to be in a high-risk group spreading the deadliest plague ever faced by mankind. It wouldn't be so bad if they just spread it amongst themselves, but many of them are bi and many of them share needles. I am aidsophobic. It's not my fault that gay men are the major carriers and were the only ones with AIDS when it first started to appear. (yes, AIDS IS MORE IMPORTANT TO GAYS THAN GAY MARRIAGE IS) Gay-marriages aren't as deadly.

July 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

aids came from gay gorillas(or a gorilla using dirty needles), then one time a guy or girl had unprotected relations with one of them and the rest is history...

July 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Philip

If I were to tell you, that after learning that fully 40% of the known deaths related to AIDS black Americans, President Obama was quoted as saying that it's "high time that America takes stock" in this alarming statistic from the CDC...would you call ME 'racist' like you call me 'anti-gay'? (230,000 black Americans have died from AIDS. according to the Centers for Disease Control, that number accounts for fully 40% of the death toll)

July 24, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

if you follow the rules of the bible you cant get aids...

July 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. smurfette

one time i seen a smurf take out his smurf and rub it on a smurf, then papa smurf came over took the smurf's smurf and smurfed it...

July 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Philip

...and if I were to tell you that, according to the President of the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of colred People) said that "over 40% of black America's sole source of income is welfare", would you think that I"m a 'racist'? Mr. Precious, president of the NAACP did point out this alarming statistic just as the CDC reports that gay men are 800 times more likely to have AIDS than the average, and that YOU are two-hundred times more likely to contract AIDS from a black woman than a white. I'm not "anti-gay" nor am I "anti-black"...I'm anti-AIDS, AND THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO EVER brings it up anymore.

July 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

Did Billy Graham show up to condemned the gays and lesbians ? Did lighting strike the sinners to hell. Is my HOLY CATHOLIC GOD and his son Jesus just waiting until they get to the pearly gates. I sentence them condemnationl fire and brimstone as a practicing Catholic. God help America.
      Please
      Amen
      Padre Bill

July 24, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin Oliphant

Lol you believe in god. let us know when you want to join the 21st century

July 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Norbert

Get it right. PHILIP, you can't cherry pick which "men of God" you condemn...just because they are the ones who get the most publicity. There have been raypists of CHILDREN since time began. And this has phuck-all to do with gay marriage, PHILIP.
    You said gay marriages aren't deadly. So true. Them, pleas S T F UP!
    This is an article on gay marriage! If you don't want aids, don't put yourself in the position to contract it! You are a gay HATER, and THAT is why you spout your baloney! GOD isn't nearly as judgemental as you...no, your just MENTAL!!!!!Quit disguising your "information" as such: it isn't and you are perhaps the biggest fraud of all...one who cloaks their deepest fears (desires) as God's word! Phony!

July 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

did Philip mention that 75% of the people in Jail are BLACK male and female, talk about the mark of CAIN.

July 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

bill, you say God has caused black people in jail. Does that mean that God caused the South to lose the Civil War?

July 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Misty

Every forward-thinking person is against AIDS, you dolt! That doesn't make one anti-gay marriage. It just makes one smart.

July 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Nick

Shut up, retarded redneck. I say you idiots should be sent to an island and be subject to nuclear testing.

July 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guesstimate

@Nick: We may already be on that island..

July 24, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Misty

@Nick:
    Applause, applause!

July 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Misty

@Phiip:
    Didn't I read a blog the other day where you were chastising someone named Joey because he didn't answer your questions? Are you going to answer banasy's questions? I'm curious as to what you say!!!

July 24, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

I don't see any questions from banasy, Mary. What were they?

July 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. You may say I'm a dreamer

I love God, but I hate all these false contradictory religions. People wear gold and diamond crosses that are sometimes made using raw materials from child slaves. Now I'm not putting that on Jesus, but he certainly isn't stopping the practice which makes him someone who condones it or is ineffective in stopping it. My version of heaven would be living forever in a universe without war, disease, corruption, lies, or theft. Someone would grow in a loving environment and during their youth could feel free to explore having fun without worrying about catching a disease. I feel the bad people exist, because religion needs them in order to emasculate, humiliate, terrorize, and take everything good from someone's soul, so they have nowhere to look, but towards a false prophet. The two are intertwined. Look at all our wars. Vietnam, 9/11and others could have been avoided, but instead were created in order to get men to commit the ultimate sin of murder. Many wore crosses when they did the killing. I don't need anyone but God. The rest of you can follow the rest of the lemmings off a cliff.

July 24, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Elizabeth

Congratulations to all the happy couples!

July 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy

I second that, Elizabeth!

July 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

This is great! I'm quite glad to see these two women finally find the happiness they deserve! This is one time that the right-wing fanatics didn't get to stand in the way as usual.

July 24, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

I come back with my name for *one day* and the Troll Patrol has to hijack my name *again*????
    I guess I'm so cool, everyone needs to hack my name, huh?

And read my post again, Philip.
    I asked you several questions...

July 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

And the poster's name was Misty, Philip.
    Don't know where you came up with Mary.

@Sodomy Expert:
    It was defined to me as a *penis* being put anywhere but the natural place on a woman where it *should* go.
    IE: oral sodomy.
    But *your* the expert! 😉

July 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sodomy Expert

So when I munch my gf's bald beaver that isn't sodomy?

July 24, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |