First gay couple weds in New York
The first same-sex couple to get married in New York kisses before the official who performed the ceremony.
July 24th, 2011

First gay couple weds in New York

A city official married the first couple in New York City to wed under the state's new law allowing same-sex marriage Sunday.

Phyllis Siegal, 77, and Connie Kopelov, 85, were married in a chapel at the city clerk's office as a crowd of onlookers cheered.

Hundreds of same-sex couples heard the news Friday that they made the cut in the marriage lottery that New York state instituted for Sunday when the state's Marriage Equality Act took effect.

The New York City clerk's office has been flooded with more than 2,600 requests for marriage licenses since the wording on the online application was changed from "Groom and Bride" to "Spouse A and Spouse B." The office could handle less than a third of those requests - gay or straight - on Sunday, according to a press statement the city released earlier in the week. The lottery was set up to allocate 764 slots for couples who want to obtain marriage licenses and/or be married at city clerk's offices on Sunday. If all 764 weddings actually take place on Sunday, it will set a one-day record for the city.

Marcos Chaljub and Freddy Zambrano were married after Siegal and Kopelov. The two tearfully said their vows as friends hovered and snapped pictures. "You're married!" one declared as celebratory hugs were exchanged afterward. Chaljub and Zambrano conducted last-minute preparations Saturday for their wedding, picking up bouquets of wildflowers for their bridesmaids and champagne for a family brunch afterward. The couple has been together for five years.

"I have certain people in my life, they're not totally OK with it, but they accept it, and just the fact they respect us because of that, it's really the most that I can ask for," Chaljub told CNN's Susan Candiotti.

The two have been wearing rings for five years, and said they don't plan to exchange new ones. "We're just going to polish them up and exchange them again," Chaljub said.

New York legalized same-sex marriage in June. The Marriage Equality Act was a priority for Gov. Andrew Cuomo after winning election in November. The law was passed under a Republican-led Senate after days of delays and negotiations between the two parties. New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, herself openly gay, told CNN New York is the place where the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) movement was born, and a place the world looks to.

"All eyes are upon it, and I believe it is going to help propel this movement forward faster than any of the other states have," Quinn said.

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire also allow same-sex marriage, as does the District of Columbia.

tx lottery

1. Liz

Gay people pay taxes like everyone else, so why shouldn't they get a government issued marriage license like everybody else. It is not like male-female marriages are so perfect. All these "we must defend marriage" are probably cheaters

July 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamison

I agree Liz. They judge gay people and they do most of the cheating and divorces.

July 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. a joke for you

What do g@y women & mechanics have in common? SNAP ON tools !

July 24, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Misty

Groan...an oldie but a goody(?)

July 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. CSnSC

@Expert, spaming yourself as a strap-on replacement. Lol, brilliant

July 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. a joke for you

Sorry Misty, it's old, but, so am I. Couldn't resist, though! Lol !

July 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. @banasy

There was no "Misty" at the "blog the other day."

July 24, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

@banasy...I still don't see these questions you and Mary keep referring to. I see where you accused me of hating gays though, and I resent that because it simply isn't true. I hate AIDS and I hate the way people are still carrying on the same promiscuous behavior spreading it around. One single gay dentist infected 57 of his patients with AIDS, banasy. no cause for alarm. It"s just another pandemic. We should actually be encouraging promiscuity rather than just tolerating it. Isn't that what you are doing banasy? Tolerating it. You might as well be helping them spread it around.

July 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

Truth be told... The church made sodomy a sin, so Jesus could provide all the sodomy services that wives's weren't getting or giving to or from their husbands. He will come like a thief in the night just as Tim Curry in the Rocky Horror Picture Show did to Susan Sarandon and That Bridges guy.. It's all a scam and I'm a moron for believing it... Or I'm a criminal for pushing the ideology.

July 24, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

The real Philip, me, has never seen that show. But I am used to seeing people attack me, rather than what I post. Imagine being on stage debating someone who raised an issue, and all you had were personal slurs and snappy little "abti-gay" tags to pin on me when it was your turn to speak. What would the audience think of you, not to mention who would win the debate.

July 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason Borne

@Philip: You can google The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'm sure wikipedia has a summary. Long story short: Susan Sarandon and Jeff Bridges are this naive christian couple driving in their car on a dark night while it's raining. Car breaks down and they wind up at this haunted mansion that is owned by Tim Curry's character. He's a cross dressing psycho.. He ends up nailing Jeff Bridges chick and I believe Jeff Bridges too.. It's a really messed up movie, but it falls right in line with what I've seen from religion. I don't believe you hate gay people. I think you're fulfilling your role to scare everyone by conditioning them to hate something as sinful so when someone is exposed to sin they are fearful. It's called psychological conditioning. You're basically Tim Curry's (jesus) hype man.. Preparing the mind of someone so it's easier to get a rise out of them. You can't hate gay people, because you probably are gay.

July 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I was just invited to the wedding of two gay men in NYC!
    It's next week. They are brilliant and charming, not to mention both very good-looking.
    It was a surprise.
    My wife and I are going to dress up, take our best car, go to the reception, and send them something from Tiffany.
    I know lots of gay couples, but this is my first wedding.
    Good!

July 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I did not post at 5:22. I had just finished playing a concert.
    I don't know where else a troll may have used my name.
    That was my post about the wedding.
    BTW, it's an interracial marriage.
    Bully for them!
    One of them told me he wants children. I told him that he'd be a wonderful father, and he would.

July 24, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey's evil twin

I met this gay dude at a gay gym and he invited me to his wedding ceremony, so I'm loading-up my old lady in our old Ford Pinto and heading down to the family Dollar store to get hims a gift. Hmmm, what to buy. Toilet paper is on sale. Wondering if they use TP much.

July 24, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

@Philip:

"But plenty of men want to commit sodomy on their wives/girlfriends, don’t they?it’s “exit only” for *everyone*, wouldn’t you say, Philip?That act is just as unnatural between a man and a woman, wouldn’t you say, Philip?"

Answer. Please.

"AIDS was created by God to deal with the undesirables and a means to eradicate them. Only doing right by Jesus will end this scourge of sodomy."

Who are the
    "undesirables"?

Can you *see* why anybody would get the idea that you don't like gays?

I am against AIDs, yes.
    Any thinking person would be.

I "tolerate" many people...because that's what decent people do.
    I don't judge.
    I may not agree with it, but I tolerate it because that's what decent people do.
    I *am* a decent person.

Perhaps it would be better to just take one subject at a time...
    This one is about gay marriages.
    I'm for it.
    Where do you stand?

July 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

Tasteless Joey, tasteless. Do you have any idea how tacky you seem? What, with your two-for-one 'token' special...like having gay or black friends is something that needs to be announced to the general public. I thought you had more class than that. (Your "best car" and "Tiffany's" comments were just as tacky btw)

July 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@Jason Bourne:
    It was Barry Bostwick, not Jeff Bridges.
    And you *do* realize it was fiction, correct?
    Much like the Bourne movies.
    But I get your point.

July 24, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason Borne

@banasy: Yes of course I know it's a fictional movie, but I've seen a lot and start to notice patterns. Kind of like blending Mrs. Doubtfire with Buffalo Bill.. Tell me there isn't a lot of scary stories in the Bible? Lol I just think we're all being scammed on a HUGE scale. Just what I think. Ever see SAW? The villian in that movie "Jigsaw" puts people through unimaginable torture to prove a point and get his victims to make unselfish choices. So when Philip says AIDS exists to punish gay people I actually start to think we're seeing something like that. Here's some drugs, guns, desires, s e x, AIDS, and other stuff, but we're not supposed to do anything with them... Basically sit at home like a hermit peeping out your windows. I think it's a crock. There is no moral lesson here, just some crazy megalomaniac whack job making us jump through hoops only to yell at us for jumping up and down on the floor.

July 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |