First gay couple weds in New York
The first same-sex couple to get married in New York kisses before the official who performed the ceremony.
July 24th, 2011

First gay couple weds in New York

A city official married the first couple in New York City to wed under the state's new law allowing same-sex marriage Sunday.

Phyllis Siegal, 77, and Connie Kopelov, 85, were married in a chapel at the city clerk's office as a crowd of onlookers cheered.

Hundreds of same-sex couples heard the news Friday that they made the cut in the marriage lottery that New York state instituted for Sunday when the state's Marriage Equality Act took effect.

The New York City clerk's office has been flooded with more than 2,600 requests for marriage licenses since the wording on the online application was changed from "Groom and Bride" to "Spouse A and Spouse B." The office could handle less than a third of those requests - gay or straight - on Sunday, according to a press statement the city released earlier in the week. The lottery was set up to allocate 764 slots for couples who want to obtain marriage licenses and/or be married at city clerk's offices on Sunday. If all 764 weddings actually take place on Sunday, it will set a one-day record for the city.

Marcos Chaljub and Freddy Zambrano were married after Siegal and Kopelov. The two tearfully said their vows as friends hovered and snapped pictures. "You're married!" one declared as celebratory hugs were exchanged afterward. Chaljub and Zambrano conducted last-minute preparations Saturday for their wedding, picking up bouquets of wildflowers for their bridesmaids and champagne for a family brunch afterward. The couple has been together for five years.

"I have certain people in my life, they're not totally OK with it, but they accept it, and just the fact they respect us because of that, it's really the most that I can ask for," Chaljub told CNN's Susan Candiotti.

The two have been wearing rings for five years, and said they don't plan to exchange new ones. "We're just going to polish them up and exchange them again," Chaljub said.

New York legalized same-sex marriage in June. The Marriage Equality Act was a priority for Gov. Andrew Cuomo after winning election in November. The law was passed under a Republican-led Senate after days of delays and negotiations between the two parties. New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, herself openly gay, told CNN New York is the place where the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) movement was born, and a place the world looks to.

"All eyes are upon it, and I believe it is going to help propel this movement forward faster than any of the other states have," Quinn said.

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire also allow same-sex marriage, as does the District of Columbia.

tx lottery

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

This guy Jason Borne speaks his mind, doesn't he.
    Philip is putting together some HIV/AIDS/Holy-Bible details. He'll be back.

July 24, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy

@JIF:
    May you and your wife have a lovely time at you friend's wedding.
    Weddings are a beautiful thing, aren't they?
    I liked them so much, I did it twice!

July 24, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

@JIF:
    If I renew my wedding vows, would you get me something from Tiffany's?
    I won't find it tacky in the least, I promise.

July 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

It's called a celebration, Philip.
    We take out the best china today because this is a good and special thing that we're doing.
    I don't go to Tiffany when I need toilet paper.
    You don't have to like me. I surely don't need your advice on taste.

July 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Hi, banasy.
    Unless a bride is registered somewhere, Tiffany is always a nice way to say that you care.
    I was excited–it's a new experience.
    I've been going to straight weddings forever. I think I was fourteen the first time I played for one.

July 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Now you're gonna do it three times, banasy?

July 24, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

Still, it's tacky Joey. Whatever commpels you to announce to the general public that you have gay and black friends is beyond me. There's even a cartoon that makes fun of people that do this. Perhaps you've heard of South Park's black kid named Token. So I know that I"m not the only one who sees this for what it is: vanity. A vane attempt to make onself appear to be politically correct. Whatever floats your boat though.

July 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

And Joey, do you make fun of President Obama for his beliefs? He believes in and prays to the God of the bible ya know. So did President Bush(s). And what is that under his right hand when he was sworn in? Oh look! President Obama is swearing an oath to the god of the bible. Why don't you make fun of President's and Congresspersons who do this Joey? Because that would not be politically correct, that's why. Vanity strikes again.

July 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lamb Devouring Wolf God Of The Bible

Yes things are going just swell aren't they Philip?...

July 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

Answer my questions, Philip.

July 24, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy

@JIF:
    No, I'm not going to make it three times.
    I found my keeper.
    I said if I renew my vows...however, if you just want to send me a gift from Tiffany's, I wouldn't turn it down.
    I am, however, not registered, so use your imagination.
    You've got good taste, you'll pick out something fabulous, I know.

July 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

banasy...for the third time, I have no idea what your questions were. Do you not believe me? Why don't you simply ask them again instead of demanding that I answer them?

July 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy

Quit avoiding. I re-asked it @ 8:36.
    If you don't want to answer the questions, that's fine.
    The questions asked are denoted by this:
    ( ? )

Read it.
    You are so big on demanding answers from others; take a page out of your own book!

July 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Wholey crap banasy. Why don't you simply ask again. I just finished scrolling through this whole thread. I found where you implied that I was somehow OK with men sodomizing women. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sodomizing your wife is not a loving thing to do. It's jsut as vile and disgusting as what gay catholic priest's do to our young men whom we trusted them with. If it's in your azz and it's not poop, it's wrong.

July 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rumpelstiltskin

@Philip (Knower of everything in the universe and beyond): So I'm going to h e l l because when I wipe my tailpipe my finger breaks through? What if I get examined at my urologist? Is he doomed too? Oh and I guess if my gf or wife chooses to give me oral stimulation then it's bad because you said so? Lol.. I'm a giver and like to receive as well.. Don't really care for plunging in fudge caverns, but I still don't think any consensual act is deserving of eternal punishment. The Bible doesn't say anything about child r a p e but we all know it's wrong. See how your little theory falls apart?

July 24, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

And, banasy, you quoted me as saying that "AIDS was created by God" I've never said that (a troll could have) and believe the exact opposite. God forbid humans, both male and female, to become involved in activities that were popular among pagans, many activities including sodomy. He did this to protect his children from the suffering that promiscuity brings. Today, that suffering includes AIDS. God's obedient children have not been eradicated by AIDS while his disobedient childen have. Just as he warned the Israelites not to eat the same foods as the pagans who suffered from ailments like Rabbit Fever, God has warned his children about illicit behaviors. God didn't make rabbit fever to punish people for disobeying him. Those people chose to ignore God and brought the disease down upon themselves.

July 24, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pagan Expert

Man is an animal. Pagans worship animals and the elements. Jesus is a man and therefore an animal. Christians are pagans. They paint pretty pictures of doves and clouds and portray God sitting on a cloud behind a blue sky with sunbeams pouring down upon us.. Pretty similar to paganism. First Commandment states we are not to worship anything on earth or in the heavens above. Also Philip why would God create innocent AIDS babies? Many women in Africa are r a p e d and given AIDS, a child or both.. Why is this done? You're a sick person and need help.

July 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pagan Expert

@Philip: I forgot the pagan sacrifice of a cute baby lamb to pacify your angry wolf cloud god. Cain and Abel ring a bell. Your version of God is a monster.

July 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy

@ Philip:
    Here it is AGAIN!!
    And I told you once before it was @ 8:36. Scroll up from the bottom next time!

"But plenty of men want to commit sodomy on their wives/girlfriends, don’t they?it’s “exit only” for *everyone*, wouldn’t you say, Philip? That act is just as unnatural between a man and a woman, wouldn’t you say, Philip?”

Answer. Please.

“AIDS was created by God to deal with the undesirables and a means to eradicate them. Only doing right by Jesus will end this scourge of sodomy.”

Who are the“undesirables”?

Can you *see* why anybody would get the idea that you don’t like gays?

I am against AIDs, yes.

Any thinking person would be.

I “tolerate” many people…because that’s what decent people do.

I don’t judge.
    I may not agree with it, but I tolerate it because that’s what decent people do.
    I *am* a decent person.

Perhaps it would be better to just take one subject at a time…

This one is about gay marriages.
    I’m for it.