First gay couple weds in New York
The first same-sex couple to get married in New York kisses before the official who performed the ceremony.
July 24th, 2011

First gay couple weds in New York

A city official married the first couple in New York City to wed under the state's new law allowing same-sex marriage Sunday.

Phyllis Siegal, 77, and Connie Kopelov, 85, were married in a chapel at the city clerk's office as a crowd of onlookers cheered.

Hundreds of same-sex couples heard the news Friday that they made the cut in the marriage lottery that New York state instituted for Sunday when the state's Marriage Equality Act took effect.

The New York City clerk's office has been flooded with more than 2,600 requests for marriage licenses since the wording on the online application was changed from "Groom and Bride" to "Spouse A and Spouse B." The office could handle less than a third of those requests - gay or straight - on Sunday, according to a press statement the city released earlier in the week. The lottery was set up to allocate 764 slots for couples who want to obtain marriage licenses and/or be married at city clerk's offices on Sunday. If all 764 weddings actually take place on Sunday, it will set a one-day record for the city.

Marcos Chaljub and Freddy Zambrano were married after Siegal and Kopelov. The two tearfully said their vows as friends hovered and snapped pictures. "You're married!" one declared as celebratory hugs were exchanged afterward. Chaljub and Zambrano conducted last-minute preparations Saturday for their wedding, picking up bouquets of wildflowers for their bridesmaids and champagne for a family brunch afterward. The couple has been together for five years.

"I have certain people in my life, they're not totally OK with it, but they accept it, and just the fact they respect us because of that, it's really the most that I can ask for," Chaljub told CNN's Susan Candiotti.

The two have been wearing rings for five years, and said they don't plan to exchange new ones. "We're just going to polish them up and exchange them again," Chaljub said.

New York legalized same-sex marriage in June. The Marriage Equality Act was a priority for Gov. Andrew Cuomo after winning election in November. The law was passed under a Republican-led Senate after days of delays and negotiations between the two parties. New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, herself openly gay, told CNN New York is the place where the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) movement was born, and a place the world looks to.

"All eyes are upon it, and I believe it is going to help propel this movement forward faster than any of the other states have," Quinn said.

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire also allow same-sex marriage, as does the District of Columbia.

tx lottery

1. banasy

If you knew I quoted you, as you say, then you would have seen my questions, wouldn't you???

July 24, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy vs Philip

July 24, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy

Unfortunatly, I can't see that on my phone, banasy vs. Philip

July 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy vs Philip

@banasy: You have a crackberry don't you? I got rid of mine and got a droid operated phone. It's great. I couldn't reply to anyone using my old BB nor could I watch any linked videos. It was a scene from a few good men.

July 24, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    I was joking re the 3rd time. My reading comprehension is pretty good.
    @ Philip:
    You want to put me on the defensive because I advocate civil rights for a lot of groups that have been oppressed.
    If I celebrate gay marriage with spending money at Tiffany & Co. and then publicize it, it's not to enhance myself–although it wouldn't be any of your business if it were to glorify my image.
    I don't care whether Obama believes in God or nor, or swears on Bibles or not, or even cusses. He was hired to do a job.
    The word "sodomy" is irrelevant to my life, as is the existence of Sodom. I don't care what it does or doesn't meam to anybody. It's as meaningless to me as soggy, uneaten corn flakes and their disposal.
    Your concept of good or bad taste is irrelevant to me.
    I don't care how much you believe in any god, or how many snakes you handle to prove it.

July 24, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy

@Philip:
    You have finally answered them, well and good.
    It's my opinion that the way you write at times belies what you mean to say.
    That's why people question you.
    And they will.
    I am not the only one here who didn't see what you actually meant.
    And the priests aren't gay.
    They're peds.
    They target *children*, not just boys.
    In any case, it's equally abhorrent.
    Once again, you sound like you're perpetuating a myth that gays are peds, just by what you yourself have just written about priests.
    See what I mean??

July 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. fernace

My eyes teared up at the thought of these women finally getting to marry! One thing that isn't mentioned is that the fact that gays can legally marry in NY, makes heteros appreciate the commitment again, seeing it from the eyes of a gay couple!! I'm all romantisized, which is not my normal demeanor:)!!

July 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy

@JIF:
    I thought so, but then today is one of those days where people don't say what they *mean*!
    Or at least back-pedal when called out on it....

July 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Once again:
    Why does it not bother me if two men or two women ma-
    ke
    lo-
    ve
    together?
    I know some people will say it's because I don't give one f f what it says in the Bible, and I'm going to hell for that, but STFU because there is no Heaven or Hell.
    I don't care what others do with their bodies.
    I am a secure, straight, married, monogamous man.
    Gays, enjoy!
    I'll stand up with you and send you nice wedding gifts.

July 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy

@banasy vs. Philip:
    yep, a crackberry it is!
    Fortunately, I can get a new phone soon, and guess what it's *not* going to be?

Thanks for the info.
    😉

July 24, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

banasy...only the gay priests are attracted to males. The other priests are either celebate, or are attracted to females and tempted by their own thoughts of women. Men who choose to fornicate with other men are in fact called "gay". We used to call them sodomites. But we used to call post traumatic stress disorder 'battle fatigue' too. But that was after we had called it 'shell-shock' for decades. Look at how we tip-toe around words these days. Is the word 'sodomite' even included in a modern dictionary?

July 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fernace

All my regs, are you really going to freak about this which was bound to happen!? Ruffie, I love ya Bro, but I'm not seeing the thing with farm animals & inantimate objects. I think if that was the case we'd be hearing about it by now! Don't you!? Actually you're the only person I know who wants to marry his car:)! I know how ya feel there, so have a heart here, dude! Love ya no matter what!!

July 24, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Philip

RUFFNUTT has a point. If you look at the general direction things are headed, it's not difficult to imagine an America where everyone is free to marry their own dog. What are we going to say when those who are into beastiality claim that they were born that way? That God made them that way. We don't have a leg to stand on, now that the majority beelieve that sodomites were born sodomites and have no choice in the matter. That the entire gay community was born that way is a stretch, but that's what people believe. What will we say to the beastiality people? No? We can't prove that they weren't born that way any more than we can prove that gays were born gay. We will be legally forced to allow for the marrying of man and animal.

July 24, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Warden Philip

July 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

@Philip:
    Do you honestly not see the difference between a ped and gay?
    I will spell it out for you.
    A ped is someone who is attracted to *children*, whether a boy or girl.
    They are not attracted to the same gender for a smexual relationship, they are attracted to *children*.
    A gay person is attracted to the same *gender* for a relationship.
    So you honestly *not* see the difference between the two?
    Honestly?
    Peds are attracted to children, and the sick reason the priest PEDS targeted *boys* is that, up until fairly recently, that's who served as altar boys.
    Can you understand that?
    People (peds) who target children are turned on by the youth, not necessarily to the gender.
    But thanks for perpetuating the myth that peds are also gay.
    No, they're just sick sob's.

July 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

Didja put your finger in the back of your throat to spew that crap?

July 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bunny

Mmmmmm, do you expect us to swallow yours? Are you another moron that doesn't know the difference, or do you like just being as big a jerk as the rest of the bible-buddy haters? Why does this affect you so? Logic and reason too much for your little brain to grasp? You are truly pathetic. Look up the term. Ped o p hile doesn't mean gay, you idiot!

July 24, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. NA

I dont think our founding fathers were investing in vaseline when signing the doi

July 24, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |