First gay couple weds in New York
The first same-sex couple to get married in New York kisses before the official who performed the ceremony.
July 24th, 2011

First gay couple weds in New York

A city official married the first couple in New York City to wed under the state's new law allowing same-sex marriage Sunday.

Phyllis Siegal, 77, and Connie Kopelov, 85, were married in a chapel at the city clerk's office as a crowd of onlookers cheered.

Hundreds of same-sex couples heard the news Friday that they made the cut in the marriage lottery that New York state instituted for Sunday when the state's Marriage Equality Act took effect.

The New York City clerk's office has been flooded with more than 2,600 requests for marriage licenses since the wording on the online application was changed from "Groom and Bride" to "Spouse A and Spouse B." The office could handle less than a third of those requests - gay or straight - on Sunday, according to a press statement the city released earlier in the week. The lottery was set up to allocate 764 slots for couples who want to obtain marriage licenses and/or be married at city clerk's offices on Sunday. If all 764 weddings actually take place on Sunday, it will set a one-day record for the city.

Marcos Chaljub and Freddy Zambrano were married after Siegal and Kopelov. The two tearfully said their vows as friends hovered and snapped pictures. "You're married!" one declared as celebratory hugs were exchanged afterward. Chaljub and Zambrano conducted last-minute preparations Saturday for their wedding, picking up bouquets of wildflowers for their bridesmaids and champagne for a family brunch afterward. The couple has been together for five years.

"I have certain people in my life, they're not totally OK with it, but they accept it, and just the fact they respect us because of that, it's really the most that I can ask for," Chaljub told CNN's Susan Candiotti.

The two have been wearing rings for five years, and said they don't plan to exchange new ones. "We're just going to polish them up and exchange them again," Chaljub said.

New York legalized same-sex marriage in June. The Marriage Equality Act was a priority for Gov. Andrew Cuomo after winning election in November. The law was passed under a Republican-led Senate after days of delays and negotiations between the two parties. New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, herself openly gay, told CNN New York is the place where the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) movement was born, and a place the world looks to.

"All eyes are upon it, and I believe it is going to help propel this movement forward faster than any of the other states have," Quinn said.

Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont and New Hampshire also allow same-sex marriage, as does the District of Columbia.

tx lottery

1. Philip

@Jazzy...true. The Apostle Paul did warn that in time, those who ignored God's directions would suffer. But that doesn't mean God invented AIDS anymore than the parent who warned their child not to play in the street invented the car that ran over the child, or caused the car to do so. We have the power of choice. We are not robots...we can choose a lifestyle that is risky if we want to. A lot of people choose risly lifestyles, and with the advent of AIDS, it's riskier than ever before.

July 24, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Last Post

@Philip: I (and pretty much everyone else on here) has shredded everything you have quoted from the Bible. You have ignored the pagan rituals in the bible, the contradiction in stoning practices (Children ok, cheating wives not ok). God rained down fire and brimstone upon sodomites, and make connections between AIDS and blacks/gays, but then say God didn't create diseases even though God created this universe and everything in it. I guess the Carlyle group created AIDS then eh?.. Nothing you say from this point on is credible and I hope people remember it, so you don't end up working one of them in a frenzy to the point they shoot up a gay bar, or something. If there weren't bad consequences to having "risky" behaviors then would your dumb little book and it's rules be necessary? Of course not, but you worship a mean wolf God, so we have to stay inside 24/7 while your wolf God devours all the available hens that are looking for a rooster. You're a scary and sad individual.

July 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. fernace

@Philip, I didn't know you were a staunch christian!? You usually have alot of secular comments & anwers, that make so much sense! Are you saying gayety makes no sense? Life makes not much sense, bro, but we live through it & make it the best we can! My take on life is to love my fellow humans & have as much fun as possible!!

July 24, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ramtough

I am a firm believer that Jesus is Lord and I am not here to pass judgement on anyone, that job belongs to the Father, but I am here to share with you the written proof (not heresay) about living a gay lifestyle. READ: 1 Corinthians 6:9 and I promise that all the argument over this issue will be put to rest. Have a good day and God bless.

July 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I have no interest at all in what Paul of any other character in the Bible said about anything.
    There are some pretty passages in that book.
    The story of Ruth abd Rachel is nice.
    The Bible has no relationship to my views of gay marriage.

July 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

God law is written in the hearts of men...a Bible is not needed to acknowledge the wrong you do. Adam nor Eve had the benefit of the Bible to asists them to acknowledge their transgression. They admitted their wrongs. Even Cain acknowledged his sin without the benefit of the Bible. You know the serpent in the garden never admitted his wrong.

July 25, 2011 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Philip Winehouse

They tried to put me in a straitjacket I said oh no no...

July 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy

@Mmmm:
    Are you talking to me?
    If you are, well, I guess you're another that doesn't have a clue between the differences between gay and a ped, whether you like gay marriage or not.
    You can't help your education is deficient.
    Look it up.
    There *is* a difference, you know, but I guess you're a well-rounded hateful person, aren't you? Equal-opportunity bigot. Well done.

July 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

My argument is no difference both are considered deviant disordered behavior. Gay history supports preys on young boys. The moment the PED acts on same gender it is g-activity. The majority of reported priest abuse is g-activity not p-activity. Not a convenience as you implied but a preference. The abusers had equal access to female children. Stick to the facts b****y and b****y.

July 25, 2011 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. GD

Ramtough, the bible is now written proof of anything. It was written by people re-telling stories they had heard...which is....wait for it....hearsay! Duh!

July 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Terrence + Philip

July 24, 2011 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to figure out that God is not responsible for this mess that we have made of this earth. One day, he "will bring to ruin those ruining the earth" promises his Word. But that day isn't today. So no, God did not make AIDS anymore than he made pedophiles. He created the earth and one single pair of humans. The rest of us are progeny of them, and have inherited their imperfections, NOT God's perfections. Don't listen to those phony preachers who claim that God is punishing gays with AIDS. They say that God is causing all of these EQ's too...just because God's son fortold that they would happen. EQ's are indiscriminate whereas God is selective about who he condemns to death. If you take a shower and go outside in freezing weather, get pneumonia and die, God didn't kill you. You did.

July 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Philip

@banasy...are you trying to say that there's no such thing as a gay pedophile? I hope not.

July 24, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. D Fence

@Philip: You didn't answer someone's question... Again.. If there were no consequences for having fun (within reason with consenting like minded adults) then would people have a need for all your rules and lies that are in the Bible?.. I'd like an answer.

July 24, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jazzzzzzzz

Ok, to clarify for EVERYONE here and especially philip. I am NOT MISTY. I was gone from 2pm NY time till 9;15 PM. I can not post from my phone and CAN prove it. I WILL say this once and once only, I WILL ALWAYS STAND BY PHILIP. And all you philip haters just don't like to hear the TRUTH. All of us need to stop and really listen to what the other person is saying NOT what you believe to have been said , this goes for EVERYONE. I'm thru this DRAMA and has been the reason i haven't been blogging for some now. GOOD NIGHT !

July 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. GD

No sh!t, Sherlock!

July 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy

@Philip:
    What I'm saying is there is a difference, and as an educated man, you should know that.
    Pedophiles can prefer one gender over another. Pedophiles, however, usually do not have an adult relationship with anyone, one gender or another, unless it's a beard.
    Pedophiles are usually not gay, no.
    Not in the traditional sense.
    You blanket statement that priests (or anyone Pedophiles, for that matter) are gay is perpetuating the myth that gays are pedophiles.
    You know this isn't true.
    Are you saying that pedophiles are gay?
    When a child is abused by his dad, say, is that dad gay?
    Or is that dad just sick as hell?
    Are you saying that all priests are gay?
    All priests are pedophiles?
    A gay person is a pedophile?
    Do you see the harm you do when you make blanket statements?
    This is pointless.
    An educated person would see the difference.
    And what do you think of marriage between gays?
    Never did answer that one.
    Or if you did, I missed it.
    Re-state it again, if you'd be so kind.

July 24, 2011 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Philip

@D fence...there are in fact consequences for having too much fun...AIDS being one of them. So your point is moot.

July 24, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |