July 25th, 2011

Obama to speak about debt negotiations tonight

U.S. President Barack Obama will deliver remarks on the debt ceiling negotiations at 9 p.m. ET Monday night, according to White House Press Secretary Jay Carney.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Budget • Politics
  1. hey wait

@han, Best comment here! Short, sweet, & to the truthful point!

July 25, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Mmmmm:
    I wrote a long reply to your distorted paraphrasing of a comment thay I made months ago regarding many fine qualities of the society that flourished in the Antebellum South, many of which remain in the southern states today. My original comment also addressed basic economic causes of the War Between the States, but not in the way that you paraphrased my writing.
    Because of the long contributions of others tonight, my reply to you was not published.
    I'm not going to write it out again.
    Your attempt to distort my intentions is not worth my having to defend them.

July 25, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mmmmm

Typical devil's advocate response. History is repeating itself and you're feigning blindness.

July 25, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jj

im drunk on a monday. the damn pen is BLUE!

July 26, 2011 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Gayle Bailey

Republican, Democrat, Independent, Tea Party – I could care less. I and the rest of American voters elected individuals to the house, senate and the office of president. We didn’t elect a party.

Think of voters as your employer and the members of the House and Senate as the employees. In the real world, when an employee fails to do his/her job or to take their responsibilities seriously, they are fired. I for one intend to do any and everything I can to promote the firing of those of you who: (1) walk out of negotiations, (2) put your party ideology ahead of what is in the best interest of the people you are suppose to represent, (3) want to cut social security checks rather than increasing taxes of the wealthy and major corporations or plugging tax loopholes that routinely allow them to avoid paying their fair share of taxes, etc
    No political party has the right to put the economy of this nation at greater risk than it is already. This is not the time for either party to be viewed as jockeying for political advantage; to do so may get them the opposite of the result they want. Do what is in the nation’s best interest and yours, as an elected official who will eventually be facing an election to retain your position. Put the needs of the country and its citizens ahead of the party of which you are a member.

Gayle Bailey

July 26, 2011 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ Hmmmm, etc., 12:00 midnight:
    Read it, saw it.
    Most of what you say about anything is irrelevant to me and to anyone whom I would know well.

July 26, 2011 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Hmmmm

@Joey: Well you're not a member of our government are you? You seem to have taken my comment personally and gotten defensive, instead of seeing the point. You called people who are angry unstable, but many aren't. The angry people are angry for a reason and it's a good reason. I thought you were intelligent enough to recognize an analogy, but apparently I was wrong.

July 26, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip on the civil war

The Banc of France helped to finance The Revolution here, but our government defaulted on the loan. The Banc sold the note to The Bank of England, whose military then began legally seizing US export cargo in lieu of payment. And so a deal was struck...if The Bank would extend the loan and front more funds, the US government would repay them with proven cash-crop reserves. The war was not about ending slavery. In fact, President Lincoln fought toothe-and-nail for years with those who were hounding him to abolish slavery. Fredrick Douglas especially hounded Lincoln...for years. The war was fought over what most wars are fought over: natural resources. And that is a fact.

July 26, 2011 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. termlimits

Quit interrupting my TV programs!! I bet this clown gets a reality show if we ever get rid of him and his brood.

July 26, 2011 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

@termlimits...tell me, how does one go about cutting-off the Elephant's donkey head and shoulders without killing the entire beast? I mean,.....do you not see that both (D) for donkey and (R) for Elephant have been promising to do something about our huge debt for decades, yet here we are...deeper and deeper in debt every year?. (not that the American people are innocent. The avg. American is roughly 110, 000 "US" dollars in debt. Most of US aren't in debt, so those who are, make-up for it in spades)

July 26, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. Don

Most of these comments show that the only thing holding America together is money. Without it, we are nothing more than a house divided.
    Obama says we voted for a house divided but not a dysfunctional one. Sorry sir, but a house divided IS a dysfunctional one.
    Welcome to two party freedom.
    By the way, I didn't vote for Obama because of the way he flip flopped on "The Big Box Issue" in Chicago when he was Senator there. His term in Office hasn't changed him that much. I have to wonder how that's going to come into play after he's done pleading to the American people for help.

July 26, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. 1love

Bush put the US n a tailspin and then the ppl of the good old USA wants to blame every body but the 1 who started this mess bush

July 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |