Overheard on CNN.com: Should Breivik be called a Christian fundamentalist?
Oslo shooting suspect Anders Breivik seen leaving court
July 25th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Should Breivik be called a Christian fundamentalist?

Comments of the Day:

"The guy said in his own manifesto that he wasn't a religious Christian, that his affiliation to Christianity was political. So why should we claim the guy?" -bamagrad03

"I find it interesting that when the terrorists are Muslims, people jump all over their faith, yet when they're Christian, they say that their religion had nothing to do with their act of terrorism. Double standard much?"–WillH85

Who is the suspect in the Norway attacks?

Norway terror suspect claims to have worked with 2 other cells

Purported manifesto, video from Norway terror suspect detail war plan

Anders Behring Breivik, a white Norwegian member of the conservative Progress Party, has been charged with the worst violence in Norway in decades. The suspect told investigators he belonged to The Knights Templar, which he described as an armed Christian order, fighting to rid the West of Islamic suppression. A manifesto bearing his name rants against Muslims and their growing presence in Europe.

Descriptions of him as a Christian fundamentalist had CNN.com readers arguing over whether those terms are accurate and relevant.

Yoduh99 said, "His manifesto is not specifically against Muslims but against multiculturalism and the 'Islamization' of Europe, which he believes the ruling Labor Party has allowed; therefore he went after them and their children. He's also agnostic, not a Christian extremist, though he believes in preserving the European Christian-based culture."

Treadmill replied, "I am afraid you are mistaken; read what he said on June 11: 'I prayed for the first time in a very long time today. I explained to God that unless he wanted the Marxist-Islamic alliance and the certain Islamic takeover of Europe to completely annihilate European Christendom within the next hundred years he must ensure that the warriors fighting for the preservation of European Christendom prevail.' ”

SSearthquake said, "Stop calling him 'right-wing Christian fundamentalist.' He crossed the line and he is nothing but a terrorist and whatever his views are, he cannot be defended." indigoth replied, "I disagree. He claims he was a Christian and there's no reason to think otherwise. Sure, he committed a very un-Christian act, but that doesn't change his religion. He is a 'right-wing Christian fundamentalist,' but he is also a terrorist."

faisalsh said, "Christian leaders often blame Muslim clerics of sympathising with the cause of the terrorists. I think that these events are very sad, however, it drives home the point that no terrorist belongs to any religion." IxNay said, "He is a Christian, but not one you would call a good Christian; remember that when you hear that someone is not following the tenets of Islam and you feel the need to berate the whole religion."

Suburbanite1 said, "Real Christians don't kill kids in the name of Christianity." BMILL said, "An awful lot of people who considered themselves to be Christians have killed a remarkably large number of people over the centuries. In America, you have to look no further than what happened to the Native Americans for evidence."

LonnieD5 said, "lol. Religion has nothing to do with this. It doesn't matter what religion you are, anybody could have something cause them to snap. The guy was a psycho; that's all there is to it. If he is a Christian, it's not even relevant."

kris5967 said, "I hope the Religious Right (and all religious and patriotic people, for that matter) can learn from this tragedy. This man acted from a jumping off point of religious zeal and patriotism and he let it take him over the edge. His religious devotion became intolerance and his patriotism became xenophobia and hatred. Let him be an example to us all of what not to become."

GameIsOvr said, "The same thing could happen here. This lunatic simply took Teabagger values to the next level. Anti-immigrant, anti-tax, pro-Christian, and xenophobic. All right-wing, conservative, Republican values."

MartinOM said, "This is the result of extreme views. Right-wing or left-wing, it makes no difference. Intolerance is not the answer."

'Can I touch it?' The fascination with natural, African-American hair

In a CNN.com story and video, women of color told of how returning their hair to its natural texture sometimes causes strangers to reach out and touch them. Some think the response is funny, but others are angered by what they think is latent racism. CNN.com readers, however, said it had nothing to do with race and everything to do with harmless curiosity.

ankelly said, "Give me a break. Why is it that black women are the only people who complain that others touch their hair? As a curly redhead, I have had my head touched a lot since I was a baby, and I don't feel wronged or write articles about exploitation. Pregnant women have their bellies touched all the time. If you are going to spend time writing an article on this, then knock off the racial victimization and keep the bigger picture in mind."

cpg352223 agreed: "I'm a white guy who had well-groomed shoulder-length hair in my early 20s. During a couple of summers spent on an inner-city youth project, African-American kids - children and teenagers alike - were continuously asking to touch my hair. Why does everything have to be about race relations? Blacks and whites have different textured hair and simple curiosity is just that."

maggitsmom said, "It's just curiosity. When I visited India, a few people asked about my blond hair, and some even touched it. Yes, it invaded my personal space, but I wasn't offended. They had simply never seen a white/blond person, in person, before. Can we please stop turning everything into racism?"

AshKetchum said, "I am African-American and I have natural hair. I get how this is an invasion of personal space, but I don't agree with it being a racial thing. Black and white people want to touch my hair all the time. But some people have rude tendencies to just want to touch people without permission. My white friends especially tell me how soft my hair is, like their soft lamb toys they had when they were young."

puddytat said, "As a black woman I have the urge to touch the hair of complete strangers of different ethnicity. I'm merely curious. I'm from the Caribbean and we've got a beautiful mix of people - blacks, whites, Indians, Asians. I once sat on the bus behind a guy with locks, and I reached out and touched his hair without permission. I felt terrible doing it, but curiosity got the better of me. I should've asked first. But as humans we come in all different colours and shapes and textures and sometimes we just want to know what the other 'feels like.' The person being asked does not need to be so sensitive. It's just hair. ..."

1. Big Game James

Hmmmmm! What does a terrorist look like?

July 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • bam bam bigalow

not him

July 25, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ puddytat:
    It's a pretty good idea to ask permission before feeling any part of another person's body, no matter how interesting that part appears to be.

July 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I just wish that this Tea Partier above would blog his jokes under his own name rather than mine! It's getting to be irritating as can be! As for Anders Breivik of Norway, he might as well be called a Christian fundamentalist as most right-wing fanatics call themselves anyway.

July 25, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. leeintulsa

He might have said he was anti-muslim, and i'm sure he would hate white muslims as well, but when he says it i bet he's talking about brown people. He's got aryan written all over him. He's just another racist.

July 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. oneSTARman

I BELIEVE that it has nothing to do with his Religion – it is SIMPLE
    Brown Skin = Terrorist
    White Skin = Misunderstood
    ...according to CNN readers

July 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mmmmm

What??? He seems like the European version of a skinhead...decided to do it Viking style...raid outlying islands and explode manure.

July 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mmmmm

That is was one messed up masterplan. Shudda made love not war. He cudda had many lil' Templar babies for the cause.

July 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I wrote the 5:11 post
    I did not write the 5:25 post.

July 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Independent

Well so far I've seen all I need to know. Christians seem to be game playing, manipulative worshipers of a false prophet. They follow a book written by many men (according to the Bible all men are evil sinners) instead of listening to the words of their supposed "chosen one".. The real God is looking down on all of us shaking his head no doubt. I'm not saying Islam is perfect, because the proof to me is in the way bad stuff keeps happening when false idols are worshiped.

July 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. goatsandgreens

I guess he's a political Christian terrorist. There are a lot of political Islamic terrorists out there, too. Shrugging over labels.

July 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • goatsandgreens

Idiots who kill other people just to make points are simply degenerate terrorists, I don't care if they pretend to align with a religion, or not.

July 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Logan

What? Are you an idiot? There's no way he could possibly legitimatly be called a "Christian Fundamentalist".

July 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ajd041

He attacked a country that did nothing to anybody or at least they didn't intentionally that means CANADA YOU'RE NEXT

July 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

The Koran commands muslims to "Repel the Invaders" and to "Kill infidels wherever you find them" whereas Jesus commands to "pray for your enemies" and "Love your neighbors". Anyone can call themselves whatever they want. The 'proof is in the pudding'...by their actions one can easily be identified. If you love your neighbor rather than blowinging up their buildings and shooting them, you might be a Christian. A person doing these sorts of things continually...it would be hard to confuse that person with Jesus. Yes, I know. Many religious leaders have been caught doing all sorts of disgusting things...these leaders just claim to be Christlike. Obviously, they are not true Christians.

July 25, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anti-Philip

Ahh there's Philip.. He just couldn't resist this story. Notice how he blasts Islam while calling Christianity the religion of love? You never answered someone when they asked you about your hungry lamb devouring wolf god pagan ritual, or what about stoning children with stones for being unruly, eye for an eye, killing people over sodomy, oh and the worshiping of false idols which is forbidden by the first amendment. We're all ears Philip. What are you going to tell God when he asks you why you were a slimy little snake?

July 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anti-Philip

Sorry I got the consti tution and the 10 commandments mixed up. See I make mistakes and admit them.. Take note Philip.. Oh and what about the other angels? Are those not God's children? Isn't it kind of egotistical to say only one child of God is better than all? .. Ok you may answer now.. You wont though. You've been figured out by a lowly human who had almost everyone try and keep him in the gutter. How does that feel?

July 25, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. s kel

oh philip,philip,philip dont play games with yourself, he is a terrorist a white christan terrorist.

July 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Free Norway

I think this guy did the right thing. When I saw the video I believed in him. If this help keep muslims away is very good. This guy is a pro, he did it in a very nice way and at least he gave a good reason and left a nice video. If he had asked me for help I would have given anything to work with him. Class act.

July 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jal

I'm sitting here watching John King USA with the fill in reporter. First, if she would stop starting every question with "so" that would be great.

As one in Law Enforcement, I chuckle when reporters & authorities say he couldn't have done this alone. Get real, yes he could. With his military history for him to possess such a weapon & access to ammo would not be questioned. I know officers with over 30 weapons & munitions.

The focus by CNN reporter that she is concerned over 1000s of such extremist in the US, I counter that there are over 585,000 validated gang members in the US, and those st the ones who have come into police contact. These people are not nice. All I can say is many are completely blind to what is around them

July 25, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Free Norway

PD/ I'm sending him a congrat letter. I'm not being sarcastic , its the way I feel after watching that beautiful video with the templars and the music its excellent. I play 100 times every day

July 25, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |