Overheard on CNN.com: Should Breivik be called a Christian fundamentalist?
Oslo shooting suspect Anders Breivik seen leaving court
July 25th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Should Breivik be called a Christian fundamentalist?

Comments of the Day:

"The guy said in his own manifesto that he wasn't a religious Christian, that his affiliation to Christianity was political. So why should we claim the guy?" -bamagrad03

"I find it interesting that when the terrorists are Muslims, people jump all over their faith, yet when they're Christian, they say that their religion had nothing to do with their act of terrorism. Double standard much?"–WillH85

Who is the suspect in the Norway attacks?

Norway terror suspect claims to have worked with 2 other cells

Purported manifesto, video from Norway terror suspect detail war plan

Anders Behring Breivik, a white Norwegian member of the conservative Progress Party, has been charged with the worst violence in Norway in decades. The suspect told investigators he belonged to The Knights Templar, which he described as an armed Christian order, fighting to rid the West of Islamic suppression. A manifesto bearing his name rants against Muslims and their growing presence in Europe.

Descriptions of him as a Christian fundamentalist had CNN.com readers arguing over whether those terms are accurate and relevant.

Yoduh99 said, "His manifesto is not specifically against Muslims but against multiculturalism and the 'Islamization' of Europe, which he believes the ruling Labor Party has allowed; therefore he went after them and their children. He's also agnostic, not a Christian extremist, though he believes in preserving the European Christian-based culture."

Treadmill replied, "I am afraid you are mistaken; read what he said on June 11: 'I prayed for the first time in a very long time today. I explained to God that unless he wanted the Marxist-Islamic alliance and the certain Islamic takeover of Europe to completely annihilate European Christendom within the next hundred years he must ensure that the warriors fighting for the preservation of European Christendom prevail.' ”

SSearthquake said, "Stop calling him 'right-wing Christian fundamentalist.' He crossed the line and he is nothing but a terrorist and whatever his views are, he cannot be defended." indigoth replied, "I disagree. He claims he was a Christian and there's no reason to think otherwise. Sure, he committed a very un-Christian act, but that doesn't change his religion. He is a 'right-wing Christian fundamentalist,' but he is also a terrorist."

faisalsh said, "Christian leaders often blame Muslim clerics of sympathising with the cause of the terrorists. I think that these events are very sad, however, it drives home the point that no terrorist belongs to any religion." IxNay said, "He is a Christian, but not one you would call a good Christian; remember that when you hear that someone is not following the tenets of Islam and you feel the need to berate the whole religion."

Suburbanite1 said, "Real Christians don't kill kids in the name of Christianity." BMILL said, "An awful lot of people who considered themselves to be Christians have killed a remarkably large number of people over the centuries. In America, you have to look no further than what happened to the Native Americans for evidence."

LonnieD5 said, "lol. Religion has nothing to do with this. It doesn't matter what religion you are, anybody could have something cause them to snap. The guy was a psycho; that's all there is to it. If he is a Christian, it's not even relevant."

kris5967 said, "I hope the Religious Right (and all religious and patriotic people, for that matter) can learn from this tragedy. This man acted from a jumping off point of religious zeal and patriotism and he let it take him over the edge. His religious devotion became intolerance and his patriotism became xenophobia and hatred. Let him be an example to us all of what not to become."

GameIsOvr said, "The same thing could happen here. This lunatic simply took Teabagger values to the next level. Anti-immigrant, anti-tax, pro-Christian, and xenophobic. All right-wing, conservative, Republican values."

MartinOM said, "This is the result of extreme views. Right-wing or left-wing, it makes no difference. Intolerance is not the answer."

'Can I touch it?' The fascination with natural, African-American hair

In a CNN.com story and video, women of color told of how returning their hair to its natural texture sometimes causes strangers to reach out and touch them. Some think the response is funny, but others are angered by what they think is latent racism. CNN.com readers, however, said it had nothing to do with race and everything to do with harmless curiosity.

ankelly said, "Give me a break. Why is it that black women are the only people who complain that others touch their hair? As a curly redhead, I have had my head touched a lot since I was a baby, and I don't feel wronged or write articles about exploitation. Pregnant women have their bellies touched all the time. If you are going to spend time writing an article on this, then knock off the racial victimization and keep the bigger picture in mind."

cpg352223 agreed: "I'm a white guy who had well-groomed shoulder-length hair in my early 20s. During a couple of summers spent on an inner-city youth project, African-American kids - children and teenagers alike - were continuously asking to touch my hair. Why does everything have to be about race relations? Blacks and whites have different textured hair and simple curiosity is just that."

maggitsmom said, "It's just curiosity. When I visited India, a few people asked about my blond hair, and some even touched it. Yes, it invaded my personal space, but I wasn't offended. They had simply never seen a white/blond person, in person, before. Can we please stop turning everything into racism?"

AshKetchum said, "I am African-American and I have natural hair. I get how this is an invasion of personal space, but I don't agree with it being a racial thing. Black and white people want to touch my hair all the time. But some people have rude tendencies to just want to touch people without permission. My white friends especially tell me how soft my hair is, like their soft lamb toys they had when they were young."

puddytat said, "As a black woman I have the urge to touch the hair of complete strangers of different ethnicity. I'm merely curious. I'm from the Caribbean and we've got a beautiful mix of people - blacks, whites, Indians, Asians. I once sat on the bus behind a guy with locks, and I reached out and touched his hair without permission. I felt terrible doing it, but curiosity got the better of me. I should've asked first. But as humans we come in all different colours and shapes and textures and sometimes we just want to know what the other 'feels like.' The person being asked does not need to be so sensitive. It's just hair. ..."

1. Philip

Joey, have yourself a pleasant day. And I enjoyed our exchanges. 🙂 I get to go to work! "With the sweat of your brow all of your days you shall toil"–said God to Adam amd his offspring. But you think that the physician/bible-writer Luke made-up that list of names in ch. 3 of the book bearing his name, a list naming every single one of Jesus forefathers from Joseph all the way back to Adam, covering some four-thousand years. Quite an imagination for a doctor. he he...c-ya 'round Joey.

July 26, 2011 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Don't even try, Martin Luther King troll!
    I said "Martin Luther."
    Philip knows the difference.
    Amazingly, not everyone does.
    I once spoke of "Luther," unaware that anybody would think I meant a singer.

July 26, 2011 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

PS for Rev.Dr.MLKJr. Troll:
    No, it would not bother–or surprise–me at all to learn that you were an agnostic or an atheist.
    Your role was that of a political activist. You did it well.

July 26, 2011 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Beatrice

I'm a Christian fundamentalist and I'd never do that. We rather die than hurting others. He is everything against what we stand for. Christians always fight to preserve life, never to destroy, which is what Jesus did and taught.

July 26, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  5. Beatrice

Fundamental Christianity always teaches mercy and rescuing life. People who try to force their utopia on others usually end up causing massacres regardless of dogmas and backgrounds. They think sacrificing some human lives is nothing comparing to accomplishing their "grand" purpose. It is downright evil. Christians only educate others and wait for God's judgment and Jesus' Second Coming with patience for the godly utopia.

July 26, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tony the prophet

Governments compete for Power and control over world order....the question is: who has the power? and who wants to control it, Stability has it's price the question is: Who has the money? and who is willing to pay for stabilitly?

July 26, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. Beatrice

Europe and America lost Christian conscience in their public life. That's the most serious problem. Co-existing together without a mutual godly goal brings only strifes and despairs for everyone at the end. Murder of the most innocent lives(abortion) and promotion of perversion never bring peace but only the divine judgment. Secular West should know that.

July 26, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. Beatrice

Anyone who does not acknowledge God's sovereignty over the human life and human societies ends up doing the most heinous things possible.

July 26, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Philip

@Tony the Prophet Who has the money? That would be The Bank for International Settlement's located in Basel, Sitzerland. This huge bank (the locals call the banks huge ugly tower "The Tower of basel) has branch-banks called federal reserves/central banks located in every single powerful nation on earth, including ours. It is they, not Congress, who determine economic policies, intrest rates, and the printing of currency. THEY decise how much cash to dump on the open market, not some President Obama. And guess what...the Federal Reserve located here in the USA has never been audited by US. Why? Because. our own government won't allow US to have the Fed audited. We ask each and every year "Please, sirs, allow US this audit so we can find-out where our income-taxes have gone...where our SS funds went." President Obama and Congress agree: no audit forthcoming. Are you folk's OK with this?

July 26, 2011 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. Tony the prophet

GOD and any religion is not to blame for what actions individuals groups and governments take to het their message across

July 26, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Philip

@Tony(not that you will reply) I agree, God is not responsible for mankinds wars, diseases, greed, etc. I do, however, hold religions that misrepresent God partially responsible. The rest of the blame lies squarely on the shoulder's of the general public. Don't you agree?

July 26, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

@ Philip
    do we even have the right to question where our tax dollars are going?
    The perp in Norway is a Christian terrorist – period.
    Now whether Western media calls a white Christian a terrorist remains to be seen. No I think that is not happening.
    Remember the " Christian Soldiers" (Hutaree) who were nabbed plotting to kill US federal officials & use weapons of mass destruction and were quietly let go by a judge?
    The media didn't even call them terrorists.

July 26, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

Hello saywhat's your name? He is a self-proclaimed christian and he has and did and continues to terroize people with his heinous actions. But no where close to being a stand-out in that catergory, I'm sure you'll agree. // My income-tax dollars that keep disappearing? My SS being pillaged by the Pentagon? The IRS and the Fed tag-teaming US? you bet'cha we got a right. And not just to ask either. We have a right to those funds. And they're stealing them from US right in front of YOUR face. Not mine. I know what they're up to. (and i wish i had a better mental reference point than 'saywhat'. I have trouble remembering most of our many encounters. gimme something. color of your hair maybe?)

July 26, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dear God

I wish to be left alone by all conman and pushers of deceit. I wish to be in your good graces and guidance without the teachings of flawed men getting in the way. I do not place one soul above others as all your children including myself are equal. I also pray that you heal the sick as the false prophets have been unable to. Thank you.

July 26, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rayjaymarv

If the man's attacks are religiously motivated then sure, call him a christian fundamentalist. If he is only christian, politically, then he's just political dogmatist. plain n simple yo

July 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |