Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Pat

The right wing of Congress has determined to hold the American People hostage to their rigid ideology. Yes, we do need to get a handle on government spending but we can't risk the well being of the very people the government is for.
    If the Republicans have everything their way ,I see our nation becoming more and more like the nations that we used to refer to as "third world" with the power and wealth held by the very few.

July 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Steve

Wow!
    Astounding. Closing tax loopholes is imperative. Cuts are one thing, but a fair, reasonable revenue stream is necessary. One example is tax breaks for people to buy 500K+ homes-do they really need it? Geez. Oil companies report (proudly) record-breaking profits-please notice the gas prices are just below $4/gal right now. Mmmm. We live in a mass economy and dollars need to flow for all Americans. Legislators need to legislate. Maybe Congress would like to wait until age 69 to begin receiving their pensions, and not have free (taxpayer) provided lifetime medical. Reality for millions of Americans is different. Finally, all legislators need to remember they have taken an oath to uphold the United States, not a sliver thin group of "principles" that will cripple our nation.

July 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Esteban

steve. perhaps you should reconsider your comment about people that buy 500k + homes and if they need it. Actually many people do. I live in nyc and own a modest 1 berdroom apt (no doorman, no gym, no frills at all), and yes, it costs well north of 500k.

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rick

Typical CNN (ie ONN – Obama News Network) bias. 16 pro-Obama comments, 4 anti-Obama. And the 1st 10 comments all pro-Obama.

July 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nadine

To all the anti-Obama critics, go post on "Faux News". All they do over there is spew divisive rhetoric and division. Mitch, Boehner and twilght zone Cantor have no interest to see all American citizens have prosperity. But this one thing I know will happen, "vengeance is mine saith the Lord, I will do the repaying". What profits a man to gain this world and lose his soul.

July 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Duke

If you don't like what you're reading, go to Foxnews.com. They'll be sure to write what you want to hear.

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kitty

No! Please post here! Otherwise this is all about us being snarky about the other side. We need to LISTEN to each other if we can manage to be respectful and open to learning. Obviously, our elected officials are having trouble with those concepts, but that doesn't mean we have to follow their lead.

July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan, TX

That's because it reflects the fraction of people who support those views. I'm very sympathetic to conservative economic principles, but Obama is right on this.

July 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Vy

Congress has the power to tax and spend, I don't get the "blank check" argument when it comes to raise the debt limit. They have the power to control the spending.

July 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JOmomma

If there is no agreement on the debt ceiling, the first people to not get paid and lose their "perks" should be Congress and the Prez!

July 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SomeoneOutThere

Yea we increased the ceiling 72 times since 1962. And where has that gotten us? In good standings? Govt is a great example to the citizens. Dig yourself into more credit and think about the problems later.

July 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jean Rimer

I have to think that the Republicans and the Tea Party are not seeing the reality of those of us "living in the real world". I have listened to the talk of "The Trickle Down Theory" since President Reagan was in office and I have to wonder how long do they expect us to wait. If you hired a contractor to fix your roof, how long would you wait to have the roof fixed. Would you wait until the roof leaks? Do you wait until you want to sell your house (like that might happen), or do you wait until the house turns to dust and returns to the earth?

Here's my reality, my husband and I have worked all our lives and asked for nothing except our fair chance to work, educate and raise our children. My father, four uncles; (one awarded the bronze star); my father-in-law, mother-in-law, and uncle-in-law all served in World War II, while those at home worked at the GE in Lynn making jet engines for the planes (my mother included). I have had cousins and my eldest brother; (recently deceased from lung cancer at age 59 from Agent Orange exposure); who served in Vietnam and a nephew who served in the Iraq War. My grandmother was a nurse in WWI, 4 cousins, my sister and myself are all nurses. Many family members served as firemen and teachers (my eldest son and his wife are teachers). In short we are a family who believes in service for our country. We have cared for our elderly in our homes (my father-in-law recently deceased at age 92, lived with us for the last 20 years). There is no wealth or inheritance left to us. Everything we did we have had to manage on our own. My mother at the age of 91, has had to go into a skilled nursing facility because her spine has collapsed into itself and we can not provide the 24 hr care and pain management she requires and deserves. Her home and everything she owned has had to be sold to have the nursing home paid. The average cost at a medium care facility is in excess of $9.000.00 a month (this is not private care and it is definitely no frills.)

Now Congress, you are telling me that the wealthy, who don't have these worries or concerns (at least from the financial standpoint) need more incentives and tax breaks before they can honor a "supposed promise" they made a decade and more ago. Do you really hold the public is such low esteem as to believe we are that uneducated and stupid? You are telling me that I haven't sacraficed enough, that I might not even be able to get the medicare and medicaid to care for my mother or let my son finish college (at a modest school), or even have any retirement money to pay for the elder care my husband and I will most likely need. We don't expect to have any money to retire before we fiscially can't work anymore. We just want a roof over our heads and food to eat in our final days. And you have the nerve to tell us we are asking for too much. Do you even know what it is like to worry if there is enough money in the bank account to pay for your weekly groceries, or deciding if you can afford to have your teeth fixed? Both my husband and I work full jobs and meet most of our bills in a timely manner, but I've lost 3 teeth and can't afford the cost to have them replaced. We don't vacation, we don't live in a luxurious house, we just work. And guess what, we are some of the luckiest ones out here. We have jobs, we get to eat.

So in closing I want to use a line from the play "1776" when George Washington's envoy stood before the bickering Continental Congress and begged for help; "Is anybody there? Does anybody care?". The Continental Congress realized: "We might as well all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately!"

Jean

attributed to Agent Orange exposure)

July 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1viper

Wow Jean, thank you for such a moving post. May god bless you and your family.

July 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • jyoung

Bravo Jean, very eloquently put and spot on I might add. Your words are almost exactly my words. Your life closely mirrors mine and your trials and tribulations closely mirror mine. Are there any others out there that have similar words? I realized long ago that NO ONE thinks or believes as I do, but I respect their opinions. I truly am scared for this country of ours; for my children and grandchildren; my elderly relatives; and all those who struggle so very hard every day to have just the basics (food, shelter, safety). Thank you Jean, your words were wonderful.

July 27, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. James

As much as the dems have ticked me off, it all pales in comparison to these childish republican bullies. Nobody knows for sure what will happen, but I strongly suspect the republican gains from the last election will be reversed as they have clearly demonstrated that they don't get it, they completely misinterpreted the reasons for their gains in the first place.

July 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Stan

I am just so sad. Sad because the leaders that have been elected by us do not know how to govern. Implementing change is a process. Get us going in the right direction and we will get where we have to go. Instead we are being lambasted with change that is so severe that it makes agreement impossible. Why does it have to be this way. When will our leaders remember that they are working toward a greater good for all of us. Instead there are 300,000,000 million people in this country in agony about their future. We are self destructing, how sad. Like watching a flower wilt, when all it needs is water.

July 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Susan B

How about we hold "their" paychecks until they resolve this issue. Bet they come to an agreement real quick then.

July 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sayer

Not surprised how I can easily email my senators, but not my representatives in the GOP controlled house. La, la, la, la... I'M NOT LISTENING!

July 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan, TX

I can't get email my rep either. the site was down, and now you can write a letter or phone but no email address to contact him.

July 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WOW cnn your a joke

talk about a biased article!

July 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • NoI Don't

Erm...you mean "you're?"

Must say a lot about you...

July 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. compromise

I have attempted to call my congress representatives. I have ran into the following scenarios:

1) the phone rings for at least 30 seconds then the automated
    machine picks up and it will ask me if i want to leave a message
    push 1 to leave a message, so i push 1
    then it rings again for about a good 45 seconds, Then i am able to leave a message

2) the phone rings for at least 30 seconds then the automated
    machine picks up and it will ask me if i want to leave a message
    push 1 to leave a message, so i push 1
    then it rings again for about a good 45 seconds,
    the automated machine again picks up and asks me if i want to leave a message to push 1(or other number)
    it rings again and now the phone is stuck in a never ending cycle of ring, pick up , forward me to ring, etc

3) the phone rings for at least 30 seconds then the automated
    machine picks up and it will ask me if i want to leave a message
    push 1 to leave a message, so i push 1
    then it rings again for about a good 45 seconds, Then i am unable to leave a message because the inbox is full

This upset me because it seems like tactics from our representatives to avoid us leaving them feedback or messages about how we want our country to be ran.

The congress site wasnt so help full in pointing me to wards the right direction either. When it asked me for my +4 numbers on my zip code it would not take my zipcode without the +4 but it wouldnt point me in the right direction so i can find out my +4, again.. another roadblock in my attempt to communicate congress.

I want to see a balance approach as President Barack Obama mentioned. ..

July 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sapthagiri Sangem

This is so hypocritical of US government to pressure EU and other parts of the world to come up with solution fast and at the same time taking for ever to reach a deal of this magnitude and this significance.

July 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tom

I've been telling people for years that you have to stop voting for these parties. Vote for anybody but democrat or republican. We need to stop the stranglehold that these parties have over the American people. If we had 4 or 5 parties, they would have to compromise. I can proudly say that I haven't voted for either party for four years and my world has not come to an end.

July 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89