Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Theresa

Congress has decided that they are, the lot of them, unable to be fired unitl election time. No one up there cares despite all of their rhetoric. How can they fix the problems until they acknowledge they ARE THE PROBLEM. Time to clean house from top to bottom. No more voiting themselves raises, no more $1.5 million dollar budgets for EACH CONGRESSIONAL OFFICE (that if they don't use, they can spend however they cjhoose with no over sight), no more cadillac health insurance that we pay for, no more special retirement – no more perks. They bicker about spending cuts and taxes, yet not one word that they're willing to cut what they cost the American people. Obviously, they can't manage our money. Therefore, they are not doing the job that they were hired to do.

July 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • FINAL

YOUR BEING LIED TO
      The economic collapse is just starting folks, get ready for a bumpy ride.
      Pay attention to inflation, prices are going up Every Where.
      People are still getting paid 7.50 an hour, and because of inflation company cost is going up, so they have to close down.

If you look at history, hyper inflation should start to set in soon.
      Followed by a currency collapse.

The debt ceiling is irrelevant now, get educated.
      YOUR BEING LIED TO

July 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • goobernutt

Well said Theresa...I like the fact that you used no specific political party and you're correct! Right now I do not feel like my gov't is representing me or my country and one form of that mis-representation is called taxation without representation. I hold all of congress responsible for this fiasco!

July 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim H.

Thank you.

July 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jimbobbyjimbob

What a bunch of Morons we have elected.

July 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bloodpressurerising

I am a registered Republican who always votes my heart. I consider the issue and I consider the results I want the nation to achieve. At this time, I am supporting the Democratic plan and am begging all in Washington to do what is right for the country and the citizens like me who will have to live with the consequences of their actions. What is right for our country is to compromise and bring this matter to a conclusion. The Republicans must give a little. Please do it today...we are all counting on you.

July 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rob

Please keep compiling these public comments and forward them to Congress. In fact, send someone to read them out loud, one at a time, until congress feels our disgust. They need to go home in shame and embarrassment, return their paychecks to the taxpayers and pay for their own health insurance -if they can get it. They all brought it to this point. They have formed two governments, of which cannot work together.

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

LOVE IT!

July 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thorne

Agreed!
      I called and emailed my Representative... unfortunately it's Michelle Bachmann and she so doesn't give a crap about little ole me in the 6th. She never has so why would she start now?

July 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DDH

I am completely shocked we pay these people to apparently not do a job. My suggestion is that everyone in Congress, the House and the President all give up their paychecks to pay this debt. The middle class is always forced to pay for everyone's mistakes while the super rich continue to rake in the money. At the rate we are going, our unborn children will be paying for this stupidity.

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. springermom

Shouldnt grown men and women know by now how to play in a sandbox!? COMPROMISE!

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Julie

Wow...I'm so totally ashamed of my "leaders". As early as pre-school we are taught to compromise and each give a little. That way, we all win. What the hell has happened that "We, the people", have allowed Washington to become what it is today. When was the last time that any of you reading this believed, wholly, anything that was said by someone campaigning for office? It's insulting to us commoners that Washington thinks they can just employ their Smoke-and-Mirror campaigns and we'll all go along with it...smiling all the way. The double-speak, the behind-the-scene deals, the if/then promises....It must stop. It's like the North versus the South again...only this time it's in Washington. I thought we were one country, indivisible....Or was that just a guideline?

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tom

The GOP always say that tax increases on the rich will make the rich stop hiring. I'm a rich business owner. I've never hired anyone simply because I had extra money due to a decreased tax bill (than you GW). I hire because I need a job done. I keep just enough staff to get the job done regardless of what my taxes bill is. If I hired just because I had an abundance of money in my account, then I would have already hired more staff becasue I always have an abundance of money in my account. We're talking about the top 1%. We've always got bank ..that's why we're called "the richest Americans". The GOP acres like we're living on the edge and if we get an extra penny, we'll run out and hire someone with it. Ha.

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. H Villarreal

I never imagined in all my life that Americans (Republicans) would do more damage to our Nation than anything the Terrorists could do. We are the United States and as Americans the representative have always pulled together to work and resolve any crisis. After hearing John Beohner, a new form of terrorism has evolved that puts all the nation in jeopardy. This is a national disgrace and the House Speaker and his Republican thugs have dishonored the Nation.

They have demonstrated to all countries we are trying to convince to become democracies, that our Democracy is dysfunctional. The Republicans made a mockery of our system of government. In my view they are traitors to the Nation. Equally, we the people failed to express our dissatisfaction and grievances with these worthless leaders. A Democracy only as good as the people who participate in it. Too many Americans have remained silent and allowed this reckless and bad behavior of the Republicans to go on too long.
    The time has come for the people of this nation to stand up and demand the resignation/ouster of these useless representatives. They have single handedly destroyed the ideal of Democracy we all enjoyed and certainly discouraged any country from wanting to adopt Democracy.
    I. The Republicans are protecting a few rich people from paying their taxes and fair share. In this process they are holding he Nation's economic stability hostage to get their way. So to me this is new terrorist threat to our Nation.

The only true statement a Republican ever made was " a house divided cannot stand..." Abe Lincoln. I hope that Mr. Beohner and his Republican thugs will understand those words.

July 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB402L

Wow! Right On!!

July 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cantor shorts against America

Consider Eric Cantor, House Majority Leader and putative TEA Party superstar. Eric, bless his heart, invested $15,000 in a fund called Pro-Shares Trust Ultrashort 20+ Year Treasury ETF (TBT) he bought in December 2010.

The "short" in "Ultrashort" says Cantor is betting against the US government

July 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Elizabeth

Republicans who signed Grover Norland's pledge not to raise taxes are ruining this country because they can't "break this sacred pledge!!?" HYPOCRITES!!! What about your pledges to put country first? To represent the American people?! A majority favors a balance of taxes and cuts - stop worrying about yourselves and do the right thing.

July 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nadine

This is the bad seen sown by Ronald Reagan. Twenty plus years later, America reaped the disaster. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord, I will do the repaying.

July 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. an American

There is an easy solution to our debt... weed!!! If the government legalizes reefer it would make so much money that we would never have a debt problem ever again. They can tax it like they do cigarettes & make that money!!!!

July 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dub

Frustrated and furious. As a poster said, "Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball." I couldn't agree more. The tea party is attempting to destroy the U.S. so they can impose their 3rd. world politics. The seem to want us controlled and ruled by a handful of billionaires.

July 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. peterjon

I'm actually for neither party simply because I don't trust politicians. I they firmly believe they do not cause the problems. All I’m asking as a US citizen is to pass a plan that the majority of us want. Maybe next time they should put it vote and let us decide instead of them squandering with are time and money!

July 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89