Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Linda-small town in TX

If Obama wants to take the big corporations, why does GE get off scott free of paying taxes?

July 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Because the rules and loopholes do not change for one particular company, who is still out for greed...

July 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pana

Don't let them fool you people, Exxon-Mobile is making 40 billion in profits every qtr (a quarter is 3 months for those in the tea party) all the while raking in billions from tax breaks given to them by Bush. Why is the GOP scared? Because, they know who their Daddy is! Big Oil, Drug Companies, Wall St., the list is long. The GOP will never mention Big Oil as a place to "raise" taxes as they like to put it

July 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • TomT

B.P. just reported quarterly profits of $5.3 billion. How can the Republicans justify pandering to the legalized corruptors, known as lobbyists, with outsize oil company profits and overpaid bank executives (whom we bailed out) still receiving tax breaks at the expense of the middle class? Of course, we really know the answer to that query – who pays the most, so shall they receive the most benefits – just ask the NRA.
      The American people will finally wake up to really what is going on in DC at the next election, where the Tea Party will become the irrelevant 'Dishwater Party'.

July 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanMan97

Agreed. To be fair, I don't fault the corporations (even big oil) for being successful and making a lot of money. What I object to is that they don't pull their weight in paying taxes. Why should loopholes enable companies to avoid pulling their share?

July 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robert J. Latham

I am not frustrated with the stalemate. I am frightened by the rigid ideology of the Republican Party clearly willing to destroy the lives of millions of Americans in order to destroy this Presidency. The motives and actions of the Republican Party are shameful and the Tea Party fraction of the Republican Party is the greatest threat to this country since the communist threat of the cold war. The President has three times agreed to massive spending cuts and the Republican Party has walked out ..One has to wonder what their real goals are; they are certainly not a responsible resolution to the budget crisis that they created. Someone please tell the Speaker of the House he is not representing the American people he has become a puppet to the fanaticism of the Tea Party.

July 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • pana

Classic, as they say "cut of your nose to spite your face", remember, they still say "the south will rise, again"

July 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. smurfette

I am completely disgusted and sickened by this mess that has turned into a political temper tantrum. The past few years has been enough of a struggle for our country and now Repulicans pushing the envelope to protect the richest of the rich is infuriating. I am a federal employee worried every day if I will have a job, afford to feed my family and not lose my home and life savings over this debt nightmare. Do we need to raise the debt limit – yes. Do we need to make some cuts to our budget – yes. But do we need to put political parties aside and do what is right & fair to the american people – YES! I catch myself wondering if my mortgage rate rises along with food and gas and my pay decreases or I lose my job entirely, will the big income earners and corporations who make over $500K a year be there when I come knocking on their door for help? I may not agree with everything the President has made decisions on over the past 3+ years, but we need to remember – not all decisions have been soley his. Personally, I have no idea how Boehner can lay down his head at night.

July 26, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Linda-small town in TX

If Obama wants to tax the big corporation, why does GE get off scott free of paying taxes? Sorry, it's frustrating that he talks a different talk than he walks with his cronies in corporate America.

July 26, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Linda, The president is not protecting them, GE is doing this legally under the current tax code. The president is trying to get the GOP to close the very loopholes that GE is currently using. By closing the tax loopholes large corporations would be forced to pay as well as little guys in small towns!

July 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanMan97

You're blaming Obama for loopholes that he didn't put in place. In order to get GE to pay the appropriate amount of tax, the loopholes need to be closed. Until that happens, GE (and others like them) will continue to get away with theft. Obama's walking the talk - he's trying to close the loopholes...it's the Repubs who won't let that happen.

July 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chris

The freshman republicans (Tea Partiers) are the ones to blame. They have no experience and are completely ignorant to the facts. They signed secret pledges that ensure no compromise. In fact bringing down the government by crippling the finding was their goal all along. How to negotiate with someone that has nothing to lose... kind of like a suicide bomber. Sad to say but YOU America voted for them and made that bed, prepare to sleep in it (probably the cardboard box you are left with after this). As a true republican, I am embarrassed for my party and know which way my vote is gong in 2012.

July 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Elaine Neu of Chicago

tell us what talking is taking place. seems just like no one is willing to get us out off this mess. it can only get worse how much time do they need to get the right thing done for all the people.

July 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dan LeMieux

There should never be a deal without more taxes on the rich & actually get the corps to pay taxes. It's time for the final showdown if not now when, This has to be done with both sides hurting some , not just the dems. I'm tired of the crybaby repubs always getting their way. We are supposed to be a government by the people & for the people ,not by & for the rich & corps. It;s time to take back our country from the rich.

July 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Laurie in Spokane

I'm beyond frustrated with the Republican morons in DC. They are threatening us, demanding concessions, and utterly lack morality, common sense and any sense of "compromise". They should all be voted out in 2012. Every single one of the Republicans. Democrats aren't blameless, but at least COMPROMISE is in their vocabulary.

July 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Marie Rose Belle

Boehner is exasperating, cruel and reckless. His agenda is not for the American people, but to appeal to the Republican and tea partiers to ensure votes for the next election, and to the wealthiest among us to ensure that there is enough money in the coffers when it's time to run. Many of those from the 'greatest generation' are having their social security and medicare threatened..that is shameful. You made a comment last night about our Presicdent spending money on healthcare that 'we didn't want'. You have health care. Is that something that you didn't want? You claim to speak for Americans. Well, I am an American and you don't speak for me. You need to stop fighting to win, and fight for those of us whose financial present and future depends on it. And show some respect for our President for God's sake.

July 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • thorntondw

Those in the House and Senate have the best health care on the planet!

July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. thorntondw

Write your congressmen/congresswomen and senators and tell them what you think.

July 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie Rose Belle

I have!! And I wrote to Boehner..

July 26, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I have, I've also written Boehner and the president. I've also made the drive to Tallahassee from Tampa to speak with my state officials and my son and I spoke at our county budget hearing last week. This issue affects all levels of government.

July 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. An average citizen

I emailed both my rep and Boehner with a request: Raise the debt ceiling! We are obligated to pay our bills. This whole situation disgusts me.

July 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rich in Colorado

President Obama has been under attack from day 1, he's not American, he's a Muslim. Don't you get it, 'There are those that will do ANYTHING to make him fail. Now COMPROMISE has become a fighting word. It's up to the American people to put a stop to this MADNESS, call/write your Congressman and tell them that the only way is through COMPROMISE !!!

July 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Barbara Kus

Obama at least accepts the possibility of compromise. From everything we've seen and heard the Republicans are interested only in saying "no" to Obama. They're in 2012. The rest of us have to live through 2011 and it doesn't look good. I will be a single issue voter next time and the issue will be did the candidate support compromise? Yes or no.

July 26, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ReallyTired

I am so sick of all of this. Raising the debt ceiling will pay the bill from all the past budgets Congress did seem to have any issues passing in prior years. I know that you can't levy against the US government (i.e., get a judgment against the US government and collect on it), but how about the citizens of the US suing their Congressment personally for any damage to the eonomy for not doing their jobs.

July 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89