Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Tired

Tired of the GOP lies

The G.O.P must Stop this Foolishness and side with YOU and the real people of the United States instead of their racist cronies!! I know this will never happen and although the GOP is very good at sleight of hand in order to make the common people think that are work for us, but when you cut through all the smoke and mirrors the cold hard truth is that. This all about Race, Status, Money and helping the Rich get Richer. If I was a betting man I would bet odds that if Bush (either one) was in Office you and the rest of the G.O.P would have already raised the Debt Ceiling months ago.

July 26, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • CCunningham

Where is the President’s debt plan??? He has not lead on this; the President has not offered a plan only concepts, no plan. Yesterday was the first time the democrats a plan in the Senate. A plan that the President has not fully endorsed the only party working to solve our debt crises in the Republicans.

People who earn $250,000 are not the supper wealthy, but this is the group the President wants to target for tax increases. Who are these people, they are the backbone of our society, they are family business owners, family farmers, small family manufacturing companies, and they are 2-income families trying to better them selves.

It is time for the Democrats end this class warfare on the middle-class. It is time stop pulling out the race-card and time some disagrees with this President. By the way this President voted against hiking the debt ceiling when he was a US Senator.

The World and the United States will not come to an end if we do not raise the debt ceiling next week. Everyone will still get their checks that money is already in the bank

July 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Elaine Neu of Chicago

delete my name

July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. boatvolt

Independents will determine the next elections, not idealogues. And we have long memories...

July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Registered Republican

I am a registered Republican and I am about to jump ship. I cant believe my elected officials are behaving this way in the name of political pandering. Compromise is the way we get things done. "My way or the highway" mentality has no place when the future of our nation is at stake, and has more in common with Taliban ruled Afghansitan than it does our great nation. If the economy tanks, and my 401K follows suit, I will place the blame squarely on the arrogant Mr. Boehner. Will the rest of you Republican lawmakes come up with something that will pass both sides?

July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anil

USA is facing problem due to out sourcing of industrial production to out side of USA

July 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ryan

As we allow the rich poor divide to become larger, taking basic needs away from the poor while continuing to grant unfair privilege to the wealthy anger will be the ultimately result. The wealthy need to think about the big picture when pushing this crap down the throats of the other 98% of Americans. Its not hard to look back at history and determine what happens when a tyranny takes over. And that's the Right of today unfortunately. Its funny, the whole time they espouse WWJD

July 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Marilyn

Grover Norquist (who grew up wealthy, rec'd $200k for PART TIME WORK in 2000 from "Americans for Tax Reform" has each & every GOP by the b*lls! It was sad (funny) that I read how he worked under Reagan. An advisor for Reagan & Bush Sr. stayed in my dad's home several years back. He got $500-1000 check from associate for this 'wonderful ponzi scheme' he'd supposedly netted 100's of K's off of. I am sooo sick & DISQUSTED with our GOP! This man I am not naming, has done LOTS in education, several hundred million in schools in Russia. I've learned lately he's joined bamboozled friend in FL. lmho, stocks have gone down to nothing, but this old friend of mine stated to me, 'guess the numbers guys know how to play things.' Sick! He's living in a PentHouse in Boca Raton (not listed as compensation, tho company is paying), no co stocks listed, which is a LIE & part of his 'package', & financials show this once friend making less than $25k/yr! THESE LOOPHOLES NEED CHANGED! America is falling & going to fail due to the GreedOverPeople & TeaBaggers. lol, and they call themselves 'Christians!' Dems r trying to PROTECT SS, MediCare, & MediCaid. FYI, Congress IS paying into SS these days. They get to double-dip with their Congressional Retirement (aftr only 5yrs service) @50yrs & get SS. NORQUIST IS BLOCKING ANY FORM OF COMPROMISE & even though some Repugs WANT to come to resolution, they won't due to fear of reprisals of ATR & Norquist. Rich arent making any jobs; gotta keep $$$$ for selves, family, & lavish lifestyles. Personally, I believe the unemployment #'s far higher than reported since so many folks have run out of their time limit. So scary that I see Norquist & this man (both crooks!) had ears of both Reagan & Bush Sr. If I post no more, know that someone in GOPbagger power has shut me up. GOP's have ruined America & we will never recover. MONEY IS THEIR GOD! Many more natural & man-made disasters coming our way. Mark my words.

July 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John Wells

As a 50 year old lifelong Republican I can count on one hand the number of times I have voted for a Democrat. Mr. Boehner has while certainly not made me a fan of Mr. Obama (that will never happen) he has forced me to vote for him in 2012. He got the great majority of what he wants yet still puts the average American at risk of further economic pain for years to come. Deplorable!!!!!!

July 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jody

I respect your not ever being a fan of our President, but can you tell me what or how you would behave differently that would make you more presentable as a President? What do people want anyway? They trash our President....I am 64 and cannot believe the disrespect Obama has to take. No President should have to listen to this ... he was voted in by the Majority so deal with it, respect it and help him...until the next time. And their is always a next time.

July 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RTinKC

Here is an opportunity for Obama to show he is willing to follow up on his promises of positive change but he is failing yet again. He said himself last night that raising the debt limit is routine and has happened countless times under president after president. Why is this good? Wouldn't positive change be to implement a balanced budget amendment to stop the bumping up of our countries credit limit routinely? I can't just reset my credit limit higher and higher while continuing to blow money I don't have. Obama also can influence postive change by stopping the demonizing of wealthier Americans. They are already doing "their part" by paying most of the governents bills. Over 50% of Americans pay no federal income tax. Shouldn't it be time for the lower end to do their part by stop taking more than we can afford to give as a country.

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. trickledown is a lie

For those who still think Boehner is shooting you straight – read the NY TIMES story by one of your own team.

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Chedar

What does compromise means to you? If you don't understand that word compromise, your dictionary must been in the toilet.

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • RTinKC

It is OK to compromise on general ideas but one should never compromise a core principle.

July 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. justaguy

I've been registered for years as a republican but their showing on this budget issue is beyond reason. They're are pushing this country into a great big hole. In the future election I'll be rethinking my party affiliation pretty hard. Makes me wish I lived where I could vote against Boenher next time he's up for re-election.

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • RTinKC

They are finally showing the guts it is going to take to get us out of the hole we are already in. Balanced budget amendment is the best idea I have heard to this point. Raising the deficit limit shouldn't be the routine it should be the rare exception.

July 26, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Paul

Pretty clear to me that Obama has style. He has some level of likeability. A little slick but not too slick. But he has zero idea about running a country financially. It seems neither party will touch our out of control spending, but at least the Republicans will take the first small step. People here are saying Obama is compromising. I ask – on what? He won't bend on taxes, and he still won't touch any programs. We don't have a taxing problem – we have a spending problem!! And Obama can't answer that.

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. thorntondw

I was once a "compassionate conservative" and voted Republican. Now I wouldn't vote before I would vote for a Republican. They seem to stand only for Greed!

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sandylou

Boehner should use the look up the word compromise. It seems that he is afraid of all of the new Republicans in Congress, and isn't going with the mainstream Republicans. After last night, my vote will be for Obama next time around. I am through with the Republicans.

July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • RTinKC

Never compromise on a core principle or what else do you base decisions on.

July 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89