Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. njean

The president made a clear effort to explain the situation in terms we could all understand, but I guess you have to LISTEN as well. Specifically, gman90210, Pres. Obama said those earning $250K or less would not be affected. He did not classify the folks making $250K and up as millionaires. He DID indicated that our wealthy population should be willing to give up some of the tax "loopholes" that enable them to not pay taxes to the same extent as the rest of us. That's fair and has always been fair, and it's about time it became the law! Anyone who can't see the need for these changes has their head in the clouds (or worse). Compromise has ALWAYS been the way relationships succeed, whether it's business, government or personal. It's time ALL of our representatives in Congress recognize that or go home - they are NOT representing the American people otherwise.

July 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RoninCalifornia

I realize that CNN is left leaning but I am going to say it anyway-the three ring circus is a direct result of the three ring leaders. Senate/Reid who want higher taxes and spending, House/Boehner who wants reduced taxes and spending, then the ringleader extrorinaire-the president, an incompetent merely concerned about his re-election.

July 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. charles

its time for flat tax term limits and to put social security back into intrest bearing account and the senate and house and the president to take 25% pay cut this would add income to budget never mind sending aid to others aid the American People the homeless and the poor the wealthy should pay just like the rest of us do no SPECIAL INTREST BREAKS GOD BLESS THE USA

July 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. YouKnow Who

My fellow Americans,

I have just agreed to all the Republican demands. There will be no tax increases, Medicare and SS will be cut by 5%, all government workers salaries (to include my own) will be cut by 15% beginning the new year. Republicans are correct I was wrong they wanted to prevent the country from falling into total economic chaos. I care too much about the country to allow this to happen. Please join me with this effort and join hands with all house Repulicans.

(Obama's address to the nation on August 1)

Now if you are mad at this, get out and vote in 2012. Lets ensure President Obama is defeated in 2012.

July 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Waya

And replace him with who? Bubblehead Bachmann? Spineless Wimp Romney? Bring-me-a-chopper Christy? I'd love to vote Republican but no one has the courage to stand up to Tea Party lunatics and run this country responsibly.

July 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I honestly believe that if Obama rolled over 100% and gave in completely to all the GOP demands, the GOP would STILL walk away. They don't want this crisis solved...they WANT to default because they want to pin it on Obama come November 2012. GOP means party first, country second.

July 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

Sorry, but that doesn't solve the problem. We are 14 trillion in debt and medicare is the biggest source of that debt. Cutting it 5% is just a show. If you can't find more than a trillion to cut over TEN YEARS then how can you expect the markets to react to your fiscal incompetence? We need more cuts and more revenue. Accept that reality, with a 14 trillion dollar debt we cannot enjoy the lowest level of taxes in nearly 70 years.

July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marivonne Hyams

The goal of the republicans from day one has been to get the president out of office. Harry Reid sId himself that as long as Obama is in office there will be no agreements. They have and continue to put that agenda in front of everything else and apparently are willing to let our country go up in flames with that agenda.

July 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • njean

Amen!!!

July 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I second that Amen!

July 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thorne

I will third it!

July 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanMan97

Amen as well!

July 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dj

These white haired old career politicians who are still living in the 50s can't stand to see a black man in the white house and will do everything possible to destroy him..

July 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Aileen

I do not understand in the sllightest where this "blank check" rhetoric on the Republican side comes from. Raising the debt ceiling is needed to pay for debt we've already incurred, and passing it with a plan that both gives an incredible number of cuts plus closing some tax loops and increasing the tax rate at the very top would be just the opposite of approving increased spending. If the Republican party's agenda actually is reducing the deficit, this is an extremely reasonable plan that ought to have them singing its praises. The actions of the fringe here are an irresponsible disgrace. By the way, I have never voted a straight ticket in my life for either party. This could make that fact change.

July 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dj

Correct...This "blank check" slogan is bull !!! Economists have "proclaimed" repeatedly the stimulus bill was needed to keep this country from falling deeper into recession while the repubs was spending like drunken sailors during the Bush's years. Now all of a sudden the repubs are using this platform against Obama....Come on rethugs...What blank checks are you refering to ???

July 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Waya

I tried emailing my congressman but his website was mysteriously down! I'm Republican and sick of the juvenile games everyone is playing. There is no reason the wealthy can't pay the taxes they were doing 12 years ago! There is no reason Republicans should be cowering to the insanity of the Tea Party lunatics. Show me a Republican who can stand up to the idiotic behavior of the Teabaggers and certain GOP leaders, and THAT will be a person I will vote for!

July 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

I e-mailed my Senator (GOP) and told him he was going to be out of a job as will many of his colleagues because Americans by and large see the GOP as the problem in this mess. You hear me, Toomey? I'm talking to YOU!

July 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanMan97

I emailed both of my senators as well as my House rep and told them all that, as a voting taxpayer, I'm their boss, and if they don't stop goldbricking and resolve this issue, they'll find a pink slip in their inbox, come election time. Now it's your turn - write your reps and complain!! Commenting on CNN.com is fine, but we need to bring the message to Congress - as Americans, we're fed up, and we're not gonna take it any more!

July 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dj

That's right..They work for the american people and not the special interest groups that line their pockets and campaign war chests

July 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Barry

I’m convinced that this country is suffering because of the past twenty to thirty years of irresponsible fiscal policies by both parties.

Lobbyists have used their influence on our legislators, at least, since the administration of Ulysses S. Grant. During the Grant Administration the lobbyists met the legislators in the lobby of the hotel across from the Capitol and the

Congressional Building. Today the lobbyists go right into the congressional offices to spread their influence.
    During elections corporations and other wealthy concerns formerly backed one candidate or the other; now they back both candidates, to ensure their person will be in office.

In Ancient Rome they passed a law, prohibiting the senators from having pockets in their togas, when they were on the senate floor. They did this to prevent them from taking bribes.

Perhaps we should pass a law, prohibiting our legislators from having pockets in their suits, dresses and pants suits.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. certchief

Am I the only one who is beginning to see the Republicans as Deputies of the Sheriff of Nottinghom. He took from the poor in order to support the rich, and the Republicans seem to be doing the same thing. And unfortunately the Democrats who attempt to be would-be Robin Hoods are seriously outnumbered.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Greg

Can we please fire Boehner.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Deb Canellis

The day this chaos will be resolved is Aug 2nd and not one minute before...we don't know all there is to know and we NEVER will...assuming that no one cares about us working slugs any more, I lost my stomach weeks ago listening to the rhetoric...we are on our own folks. Washington DC has squandered it's respectability, ethics and OUR money and continues to do so...again, we're on our own...feels like the pioneer days, when you made it or you didn't and the government had nothing to do with anything...the wild wild west returns! DC...you have lost your credibility, courage, and compassion...you have LOST YOUR MIND!!!

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. silentmajoritypledge

Every member of the silent majority should speak up and send their senators and representative an email today that says "I took the Silent Majority Pledge and I am pointing my voting finger at you." That pledge reads: " If the United States defaults on its debts or Congress fails to pass a comprehensive, compromise bill that addresses our long term problems I will not vote for you in the next election irregardless of my party affiliation or other votes you have cast that I might agree with. It will be unacceptable for you to point the finger of blame at someone else. It is your job to get this done." CNN please post again the place for people to find the email addresses so they can send an pledge email today.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rosey

Oh, by the way – in addition to being exhausted from all of this Washington drama, now we have to call our Congressional Representatives? Are you kidding? I highly doubt any representative will listen to thousands of calls and read thousands of e-mails per day/week until these shenanigans are behind us. I'd head for the hills if it were me.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Waya

You can't get through anyway. They all have their phones and email shut down. They don't want to listen to us, nor do they care about the little peons of this country. They nauseate me. All of them, but the Tea Party is the worst. They rant about working people but take money from the rich and raise money via cruises and conventions that us little folks can't afford to attend. The Tea Party is backed by Wall St. and the sooner people realize it, the better.

July 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • DanMan97

Send 'em an email instead! I know they won't all be read, but if a few thousand emails calling for blood suddenly appear in a legislator's inbox, that's kinda tough to ignore.

July 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Clint

I don't think treasonous is too harsh a word for Republicans holding the country hostage and endangering all of our futures. I would like to see Pres Obama call it that way. I'm expecting Speaker Boehner to get his troops in line immediately. Anything else is unacceptable.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Steve Thompson

Speaker Boehner can not lead his own party, being held captive by Tea party freshmen. we all need to remember this chaos in a year and 3 months and ask ourselves if this is the way we want our elected officials to act. Love of party or love of country? Tea party, one hit wonders. Nancy Pelosi is looking darned good right now.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89