Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. CdnGal

My children are both part of the USAF family. This whole situation is not only impacting them negatively (house prices dropping, threat of no pay hanging over their heads, investments going south), it is also impacting internationally and will have severe consequences north of the border here in Canada. Someone needs to get a grip!!!

July 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Joe

Boehner is holding the economy hostage over closing tax loopholes because he believes they will harm the economy. And trillions in spending cuts won't? Government cuts across federal, state and local authorities have put hundreds of thousands of people out of work, and the magic employment fairy hasn't swooped in to employ them back up, only to swell unemployment lines and increase unemployment costs. In 1982, even Reagan proposed a combination of spending cuts and closing tax loopholes in the same ratio to close an increasing deficit. But he would be considered a liberal by these guy's standards.

Boehner, do what's right for the country. Reagan did. Will you?

July 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • julia

@Joe, Very well said! I totally agree with everything you said.

July 26, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dlaurels

I found Boehner's comments last night offensive. And, worse yet, he is so out of touch with us that he doesn't even know how offensive his comments were. It is clear that the Republicans have one goal in mind – get rid of President Obama. They are not concerned about us Americans. I truly feel it is time for us Americans to get rid of all of these unamerican politicians. We, obviously, cannot wait for the next election cycle. We need to impeach or recall all of them who are unwilling to work for us.

July 26, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MCarol

Regardless of what party you are associated with, Republican or Democrat, I think its a shame this has taken so long to get settled. I am so very tired of politicians and their rhetoric. No one tells the truth anymore. Its a sad day when I feel like my vote really doesn't count... once the election is over its every man or woman for his / her self. Its not only "special interests" its "self interest".

July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dcomer

It is time for armed and violent revolt in this country.

July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • JamBone

Any other time I would say you're a crazy nut, but now I honestly can't disagree. We do need to stand up in arms and let them see how powerful we are and hear our voices for once.

July 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dcomer

Viva Revolution! I have converted one sheeple today,

I think we should be in the streets. Whos with me, Im near St. Louis MO. I can be at the federal building in 30 minutes!

July 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Revolver Resolver

Violence? Keep your finger off the trigger, twitchy. There are 99 ways to start revolution that don't include firepower.

July 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheeple

Baaa! My name is so overused that it's lost all meaning. Baaaaaa!

July 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dcomer

The non violent haven't seemed to worked so far have they?

July 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldguy40

Wrong approach. If the 80% of people who work for these butts would just stay home, not go to work, and enjoy your family for 30 days, this would be resolved. Let them haul their own garbage, fix their own dishwasher, mow their yard, haul their own gasoline, fix their own car, grow their own food. A national strike by the working class would show them all how important we are to their well-being.

July 26, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ron

Many of the richest corporations pay no taxes. Hedge fund managers who earn enormous salaries, have a tax break that allows them not to pay the same income tax that the rest of us pay on their earnings. Owners of corporate jets have a special tax break. Oil companies are given billions in special tax breaks. Yet, the Republicans want to lower federal spending by taking money from the unemployed and from older citizens through Medicare and Social Security reductions.

Anyone who would vote for a Republican needs to examine their brain as well as their soul.

July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Denny

To CNN: please post a listing of all congressional email addresses by State. If I had an easy place to reference all of those at once for my state, they would be getting email from me every day on this. ps, if I hear the comment that additional taxes on millionaires will hurt job growth again, i'll vomit.

July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. NASA Brat

The Congress is going to sit around fiddling us while the economy burns. This the most disgusting display of a tantrum I've seen in my entire life. I’d like to thank the logically challenged people of Ohio for this clown Boehner. But alas, I live in OR. and my Rep is D. Wu, not only in the pocket of insurance and Intel, he's a pervert. Not someone to sound off too, at least he's not running for President, but he seems to have the credential to be at least a Senator from this state though.

July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TradePlaces

Okay, Speaker Boehner, I dare you to trade places with my 85 year old mother. As a matter of fact, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU! You try to survive solely on Social Security and Medicare (benefits for which she worked for almost 60 years!) then she can pull the rug out from under YOU. You can then have your adult children and adult grandchildren move into your 3 bedroom home with you so they can help with the mortgage and your bills. Maybe then you'll understand the importance of compromise.

July 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Richard May

I am so disgusted by the events of our government.
    If the average citzen was to fall behind in bills, we would have hell to pay with creditors. We would be a bad risk and interest rates would skyrocket and we would lose our homes and cars and electricity.
    Why not do the same with the government?
    I feel law makers should NOT be paid – for they are NOT doing their job.
    Let their job be just like those in the private sector – since they are NOT performing their duties, fire them.
    Let's stop electing these ninnies and put people in there that will actually work for this country and not their own self-styled interest.
    The wealthy should pay the brunt of taxes; as a new article clearly shows that the gap between wealthy and middle class is so wide it is going to be impossible to bridge that gap.
    I am struggling daily with my bills due to higher taxes, and gas and food and other things that make life more then just existing. I am the one having to pay for their follies.
    I am sick to death of our government and have no intention of putting any of them back in office.

July 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. NIKKI

CUT, CAP, and BALANCE BILL. – A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Permutations to this bill have been passed, approved, and signed into law since the 1970’s.
    1974 – Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act
    1985 – The Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act – (Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act)
    1987 – The Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Reaffirmation Act – Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Act II
    1990 – Budget Enforcement Act
    1997 – The Balanced Budget Act – Expired in 2002

2000 – Federal Budget Deficit: $ $5.727 Trillion

BUSH PRESIDENCY LEGACY:

2002 – Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act [Bush Tax Cuts and Corporate Subsidies]
    2003- Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act (Kill Medicare Bill)
    Designed not to help, but to enrich Pharmaceuticals, and bankrupt Medicare

2008 – Federal Budget Deficit: $ 10.024 Trillion

Deficit Biggest Lender (Not China) – Social Security Trust Fund – 2.7 Trillion Dollars
    Dismantle SS and 2.7 Trillion Dollars of Debt evaporates from the Treasury books.

Yes, I can see were tax cuts are incentive to promote jobs, and how effective were the deficit reductions bills.

2000- Net Jobs Created Under Clinton – 23 Millions
    2008- Net Jobs Created under Bush – 3 Millions
    Tea party punk thinks the debt ceiling it’s the theme for a toga party at a frat house.

July 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gloria

The Republicans have one agenda only and that is to see to it that Obama fails at all cost.

July 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. samm

Impeach John Boehner. His selfish greed is second to none.

July 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Vigg

Wow.
    Now I understand why my friends refer to cnn as the communist communication network.
    Obama, Pelosi and Harry have destroyed our country and you're still asking for more....

July 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

O... puke – what a disgusting statement! Go back to Fox!

July 26, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Johnmac

IF you can contact yr representative (??) in DC, just tell them they will NOT get your vote next time, no matter what party they pretend to represent. ALL of these idiot should be sent packing. I confess I am a semi-tea partier (control spending is the primary goal, but these whack-jobs in congress have no idea what they are doing, from the rookiie to the guy that's been there forever. SEND THEM ALL HOME (the new slogan for the Tea Party)

July 26, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89