Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Steven Seelig

I wrote the following to my Representative and my Senator

I write to encourage you to support a balanced approach to solving our budget problems. We need

1. Responsible spending cuts that do not hurt the average working person or senior citizen.
    2. We need increased revenue that can be derived from simplification of the tax code and an increase on the 1% of the highest income people in the country.

Your failure to support such an approach will encourage me to do everything in my power to make sure you never get elected again.

Adherence to ideological principles that are far from proven to the detriment of a huge fraction of the population is simply shameful.

AND I ADD TO THIS NOTE.. it is time for the silent majority of this country, the quiet hard working middle class people who made America great in the middle part of the last century, to speak out against the shameful conduct of the GOP. If you make less than 250K a year, they simply do not represent your interests!

July 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |

I wrote.... done!

July 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ancient Texan

My Representative and Senator are doing exactly what they were elected to do; stand firm against the attempt to raise taxes and bankrupt the Nation. The Wild spending of the Obama administrastion has got to be shut down. We are BROKE!

July 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

NOTE TO SELF: Remind me when a Democrat does not want to spend more of my money.

July 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Buckmrk

I am completely sick of the entire display in washington. Democrat, republican, no working class American can say they are truly represented by any government official. Each of them bows down and licks the boots of special interests..... Obviously corprorations run our country, there are no brave legislators left. We ARE in Serious trouble.....
    It is no WOnder that Thomas Jefferson Said that a revolution is necessary every two years........
    AMERICANS are LONG overdue.

July 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

...seems to be good thoughts... I agree with the problem statement.

July 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. LuvBird

The Republicans are only concerned with defeating Obama in the 2012 election. How can they seriously put this entirely on the backs of the everyday working people (and, those who want to be "everyday working people," but can't find a decent job)? The extremely wealthy and the huge profit-making corporations get tax breaks that are unfair, while the "little guy" continues to get the shaft. The Republicans are simply looking to win the 2012 election, while Obama is trying to solve this problem. I believe he HAS offered spending cuts, if the Republicans would just listen. But, spending cuts alone aren't the answer. It's time that the super-wealthy and the huge corporations got off this free ride. The Republicans need to listen to Bob Kraft - "compromise" has to happen. Stop being so self-serving and just get it done for the good of the country and the people.

July 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

And the Democrats are only concerned with keeping the Democratic positions. THEY want to increase taxes so they can continue to spend EVEN MORE! BOTH parties are equally responsible for the stalemate.

July 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • M. Cull

I am a democrat–worked since I was 14 years old, paid taxes, paid social security and medicare, am still working since these don't cover my expenses–I resent what you have said about me–and many of my friends who are threatened with no food, eviction and worse if the debt ceiling isn't raised. Come live with me for a month or two and then tell me what you have about democrats. It isn't true for republicans either. What is true is that those with a great deal of money really don't care about us who don't have very much and that goes for those in both parties. It isn't Republicans vs. Democrats–it's wealthy vs. middle class and poor.

July 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

No doubt it is about the haves and have nots. I worked since I was 6. Delivered my first cow at 4 years of age. Got beaten by parents all my youthful years and worked. Was never willing to give up though. I have lived out of a shoebox for most of my life. I refuse to live off of a free government program though. I'd rather go back to the shoebox. Trouble is, people don't want to work at the unglamorous jobs. I have actually washed toilets and scrubbed dried human excrement for a living. But I got MYSELF out of that pit. So should all. The poor people immigrating into this country know what I am talking about. I really don't care about a debt ceiling, but, I DO care when someone digs into my pocket to give to pork projects without me having a say in where it goes. I would much prefer to give to whom I want and take a tax deduction ...dollar for dollar... rather than give my hard earned money to a federal funded project to promote questionable businesses. .....nothing to do with Dems or Repubs here buddy!

July 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. FED UP WITH DEMS AND OBAMA

IF THE SHEEP WOULD GET A CLUE – THE ANSWER IS TO CHANGE THE TAX CODE – HELLOOOO. TALK ABOUT CLUELESS – OBAMA THINKS THERE ARE 52? STATES, LOL

July 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • UppityAgainSpeaks

Then maybe you will start paying income tax.

July 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • AnnoyedWithCaps

Republicans destroyed the economy, the job market, and spent our country into shambles. Where were you for those 8 years. Hypocrite...

July 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

It was Obama's bailout that spent us into oblivion. It was Obama's Democrats who want to raise the debt ceiling (a newspeak way of saying spend more). Oh... wait...
      IT WAS OBAMA'S BAILOUT THAT SPENT US INTO OBLIVION. IT WAS OBAMAS DEMOCRATS WHO WANT TO RAISE THE DEBT CEILING (A NEWSPEAK WAY OF SAYING SPEND MORE).

July 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John

United We Stand, Divided We Fall. Those words have never been more important than right now. This debate has been about Democrats vs. Republicans. It needs to be about Americans.

July 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Catherine

Can the folks in Boehner's district start a recall election? Maybe that would get his attention.

July 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

Can the folks in Reid and Pelosi's districts do the same?

July 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shane Botwin

Key kids.... it's time to pay for those Bush tax cuts. Fun, isn't it?

July 26, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

...or those Obama refund and housing subsidities!

July 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John Fiege

I have tried to contact my House representative but cannot. Email is not working and phone circuits are jammed.

July 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |

keep at it buddy!

July 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mike

The average citizen gets this. Increasing taxes on the top won't eliminate jobs or investment – it might make them cut back one trip to a farway land where they are investing in fine dining in a passport required destination. Republicans – Boehner- are not compromising at all. They need to get back to their job and find a compromise that works today. Don't procrastinate and do it in two parts – stop worrying about election year issues make the tough decisions today and lets move on to the rest of the list, FAA funding, balanced budget and most important, providing the services to Americans that only government can – focus on these issues instead of the bickering!

Signed, One average fed up guy in Utah.

July 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

And the Democrats need to stop trying to push for spending more. The average citizen gets this. The Democrats need to stop playing for keeping their Democratic seats and the Presidency and start compromising!

July 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Stephanie Plamer

The official government Congressional Web Site is down and so I can't leave a message for my Congressman or for Mr. Boehner or Cantor, so I'll leave it here.

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER GENTLEMEN & LADIES AND STOP LISTENING TO YOUR NARROW HUMAN HATING IDEALOGUES!!!!! THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DID NOT ELECT YOU TO HAVE THIS COUNTRY DEFAULT ON OUR DEBTS, RAISE INTEREST RATES, DELAY SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS, OR ANY OTHER CHECKS.

THE RICH AND PRIVILEGED NEED TO PAY TAXES AT HIGHER RATES NOW!!! YOU HAVE CREATED 2 CLASSES IN THIS COUNTRY – RICH AND THE REST OF US.

YOU LOVE AMERICA – THEN DO THE RIGHT THING AND STOP POSTURING.

July 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

Sweetie, if they would just pay their fair share... perhaps a flat tax, then we'd be much better off. I know of many people, who are Democrats, who are making over a million dollars a year and they pay very little tax, if any. They live in multi million dollar homes with armies of servants while us working Republicans get work done.

July 26, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fletch

The most frustrating thing is that CNN reports "many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise". However, I have seen more and more blaming the Democrats and President. This is their mess and they need to own it. They also need to realize that most Americans are sick of getting a paycheck and seeing just how much the liberals is stealing from us each week to pay their voters not to work. Fair? Balanced? Not here!

July 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ann

End the stupid unnecessary wars and the tax cut for the rich. The wealth gap, as just reported today, has reached a record level. I increasingly feel like some of our conservative leaders are taking a "let them eat cake" stance, and we all know where that gets governments in the end (see July 14, 1789). I'm not a socialist, by any means, but the poor are only getting poorer, and it's rapidly entering territory they can't just "pull themselves out of."

As for this, just fix the damned thing. Are the Republicans really willing to send the country into an economic tailspin to save a few rich people a few bucks on their taxes? Are they not aware that an economic tailspin would hurt their rich friends, too–in fact, probably cost them more in the end than they were saving with the tax cuts? They're trying to cut off their heads to spite their faces now. I think it's high time they acted like big boys and girls for a change. I mean, most of them are what, 40s-60s? There are more mature 6-year-olds.

July 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

but.... are the Democrats willing to...?

July 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Voice1

Isn't the cut to Medicare and Social Security an increase in burden on our senior citizens; a.k.a. a tax? Is this what the Tea Party wants?

July 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

Yes. And those things do not need to be cut.

July 26, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sylvia

This is exactly what they want. Let the poor pay taxes. The the old people die for lack of medical attention. Let them starve if making a choice between rent and food. Their are too many old people living. Get rid of the surplus. This goes for their grand kids too. I won't worry. I've made my billions!

July 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Melissa Springer

The conservatives say "No tax hikes on the people who are creating jobs", but I have to ask... Where have those jobs been in the last 5 years? There have been very few new jobs created by the wealthy and corporations, yet their income and profits have risen over the same time period. This should be balanced. We can't give tax breaks to wealthy Americans (and yes, I think 250+ is wealthy) and make the elderly do without dental work, eye care and food!

July 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Christian

I've been a lifelong Republican, but no more. The Bush tax cuts should never have been and should be allowed to expire. Why such terrible greed in the Repuplican party? They apparently don't care the first thing about the middle or lower class people. The Tea Party is a total joke! Talk about a politically un-educated group of people! And they are the driving force behind the Republicans. Speak up America! We need to vote Republicans out!

July 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

And the Socialist agenda of the Democrats needs to be reconsidered as well. The Democrats want to spend more on more programs. Why else would they want to raise the debt ceiling? If we just paid the bills we owe and kept everything going as is, why would we need to pay more (ie, raise the debt ceiling)? Just pay the same and the debt ceiling does not need to rise.

July 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sylvia

Republic fence sitters. Dump the TEA Party in 2012. American people dump the Republican House in 2012.

July 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

And dump the Socialist Democrats.

July 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89