Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Chris

Boehner is a liar and a whimp. He cannot control his party and the people of the United States know it. Get another job you jerk if you don't have what it takes to get things done right. I heard him on TV the other day comparing his job to the President's and how he is as important as the the President. Funny - I don't see President in front of his name. The Republicans are upset that they are not running the country and they are going to do everything they can to make sure that this President accomplishes nothing while in office. We voted all of you idiots in there to get the job done and to work along side each other. Just like the rest of America does on a daily basis. Do it and quit your damn whining.

July 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Onegood1

Can't You do your name-calling any better than that? How about looking at last summer: Obama's oil slick and the Obamacare fiasco. And now Obama & Reid don't want to cut the federal gov outrageous spending because they have too many votes to buy next year.

July 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. come together

Fellow country men- Can't we all come together to get through this impasse? when will we grow up and understand the basic budget economics?

July 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • William

You mean stop spending money we don't have, balancing the budget and stop stealing from one class of Americans to give to another? I'm with you!

July 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • eco

It is too late to talk about the root cause of this defecit, yes prudence demands that budgets should be balanced. When the need arises funding from all avenues need to be explored...

July 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. (-R) mark

I am no longer represented in Washington. I previously called myself Republican, but can no longer do so... the entire party is nuts. I am afraid for our country and our future in the hands of either party.

July 26, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

Wow it's nice to hear that there are some Republicans out there who can notice the crazy extreme right has taken over. I'm an Independent

July 26, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Onegood1

Spending growth geometrically must stop somewhere. I am not opposed to small tax increases for people making over 500,000; but that will fund little if anything. The problem is threefold: 1) spending; 2) spending; and 3) spending.
      And I am independent too.

July 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  4. kd

President Obama has agreed to trillions of spending cuts. Boehner's "blank check" sound bite doesn't quite jibe with that does it? Obama has risked the wrath of his own Left in going as far as he has.

Economists tell us that 75/25 split between cuts and revenue stands the best chance of lowering debt without jeopardizing the economic with sudden shocks. To toss in my own cliche, Thelma and Lousie (aka John and Eric) are throwing out the baby with the bath water.

I'm afraid that T & L will offer a bill, late, that they know the President (and 2/3 of Americans wouldn't either). And then when the nuclear winter starts, they'll be running a Presidential election on that veto. *THAT* is what this is about.

July 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • William

The problem is when those "cuts" will happen. If they don't happen this year and next year, it's really just a lie and they will never happen.

July 26, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. abcdef12345

I blame this all on George W. Bush...if he was not president this would not be happening. I also Blame George W. Bush for the attacks on Oslo. I also blame George W. Bush for Global Warming, the extinction event for the dinosaurs, the color purple and smelly ear wax.

July 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. John

Hey Boehner stop disrespecting the office of Prisident and "COMPROMISE"!!!!!!!

July 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ray J

I'm old enought an successful enough to get through this. My only regret is that I wasted 4 years of my life in the military for a country I loved but that has since disappeared. I'm not sure I will vote again. If I do, I guarantee it will be against anyone holding us hostage now.

July 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fprim

It is now abundantly clear that the Republicans (and some Dems as well) are serving different masters than the general public...The mask has now been clearly lifted for all to see...they truly want to drown the Government in the bathtub here, and they don't care if they commit treason to do it.....I am very ashamed to have the world witness this corporate takeover...

July 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Irene Bee

I am an independent voter–sometimes voting for Republicans as well as Democrates. But always voting in an informed manner. However, with the extreme right wing of the Republicans intimadating everyone and making it, "my way, or no way." I can no longer have respect or ever again support that party.

Our elected officials are suppose to work together. Not be obstructionest. I cannot believe how only one party is making conpromises. It certainly isn't the Republicans working for the everyday man. They seem to be only working for the rich man while pretending to care about the average person.

I am so NOT enchanted with Boehner and will actively work to get him out of office. I even have die hard Republican friends that are not supportive of what he is doing.

July 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • William

Is it obstructionist to say no to spending money we don't have? Really? Not that I'm supporting the Republicans who are just as weak as the Democrats and they are both willing to keep putting off the reality that we are broke and stop spending now just to try to get votes in the next election.

July 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Caron Speas

Tax cuts for Exxon Mobil yea! How do we pay for that? Take some money out of granny's social security check, of course. Republicans disgust me.

July 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ChildPleezse

What is so significant about August 2nd? Perhaps one should ask who the Gov't pays on August 1st. Don't be too surprized to find out that they will pay themselves first....all retired congressmen and senators i.e. civil service retirement system (CSRS) employees get paid on August 1st.

July 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. eod2md

There's an easy long-term fix: Term Limits. Take away the concerns of getting re-elected and focus on the concerns at hand. It is much easier to break party lines to do the right thing when your career doesn't depend on every decision you make being a possible weapon against you for re-election. Serving as an elected official should be about service and sacrifice, not longevity and profit.

July 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cati

Thank the Koch brothers for giving us the Tea Party, the party that keeps on getting nastier, more righteous, and more determined to have their way or the proverbial highway. But guys, the American people are on that highway and do the Tea Party members (who incidentally control the Republican Party) care? That would be a big Hell No! Will the voters remember? Believe they will!

July 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shashikant

I I am a democrat and I still do not support the plan offered by democrats. We MUST balance the budget and cut spending. The cuts planned by both parties are just fog and smoke and not a real one. WE need spending CUT now and not down the road. Most of the spending cut for military is already going to happen due to reducing in forces, which is due to unnecessary war we forced upon all of us.

July 26, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Government?

you have won the award ~ the stupidest post here.

July 26, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JD

As my bro in law has been saying....
    Guns and gold baby, guns and gold.

I got the guns...no gold though here in the middle class fo sho

July 26, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Smith

All it means JD is that one day soon the time will come when the middle and lower cclass people will actually use their guns and take the gold.

July 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89