Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Joseph Zrnchik, MAJ (Ret.)

So, a president can kill millions on his own and engage in decades-long occupations and destroy all our liberties and torture and murder and that is okay. But, argue over money and the supreme executive gets impeached.

Here is what needs to happen:

Day of Rage in D.C.

July 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daryl Minor

July 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daryl Minor

Many talk of a balanced budget, then if that is the case and we are all Americans from the rich to the poor, including those in the House and Senate, then that would mean that each and everyone would have to do their part in regards to sacrificing a little of their comforts in order to help this Country of ours itself. In order to achieve this, one cannot pass all of this responsibility onto the poor or the rich, and one cannot lean too far to the left in regards to the extreme and un-balanced issues that those within the Tea- Party or Republican Party ultra conservatives pursue, nor can one lean too far to the right in regards to the extreme and unbalanced issues that those within Democratic Party ultra liberals pursue. The best thing to do would be to come more towards the center and focus on ideas from both parties that are neither ultra- conservative or neither ultra-liberal, that are more flexible, that include budget cuts and or taxes upon all Americans weather Rich, Middle Class, or Poor. In doing so, you would also be including the idea that from the rich to the poor, every American would be doing their part in regards to some type of personal sacrifice that they each must make in regards to the current issues at hand surrounding the Budget itself. In addition, and if this is done, no one group will have to bear the burden alone and have to suffer needlessly at the expense of the other, since all are doing their part. And lastly, as I said before, in trying to achieve this type of balance; it will not be easy since you cannot be a people pleaser and no matter what you do, not everyone will be happy, so don’t even worry about that at all. Just do the best you can, for when you have done all you can do, then all you can do is stand.

July 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Syndrome Zed

Can we just get that Norwegian psycho to pay a visit to Capitol Hill while Bo(eh)ner is talking?

July 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Paul in the middle

Come on guys... It's time to reach a compromise... ANY compromise!

July 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • abcdef12345

Cheese?

July 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Doug

The GOP and Tea Party made my mind set on who too oust out of Washington........Them.

July 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nalda

I love the 95% Obama supportive comments above. President Obama created the Tea Party with his irresponsible spending and his class warfare rhetoric. He will end up costing the DEMs the Senate in 2012 as most Americans understand math.

July 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MightyMoo

Tea Party is really screwing the pooch on this one by driving us to default with their my way or the highway stance instead of working on a compromise and getting things done.

July 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bruce

Pelosi should get in on the act with her own proposal. She could come out and say "look, I've cut the debt by $x.y trillion and I've done it with a $p.q trillion tax CUT!" Her proposal would be to repeal the AMT and that's it. What she won't highlight is that by doing nothing else but repealing the AMT, the Bush tax cuts (all of them, not just for the >$250k folks) expire at the end of 2012.

Even Grover Norquist says that letting the Bush tax cuts expire is not–technically–raising taxes...

July 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Laura

The stock market is steadily going down, and so is my retirement fund. They are already taking money out of my pocket and my future with their stupid behaviors. The Republicans, all of them, need to be booted out. The Tea Party needs to be put back in their place. They are not the voice of Americans, they are just a small, albeit loud minority. I'd rather pay a little bit more in taxes rather than have the stock market take a dive like it did at the end of the Bush era. I lost $30,000+ that time and I can't afford to lose anymore. I started my retirement savings late and I don't need these arrogant Republicans, Boehner, Reed and others to ruin my chances at having a decent nest egg so I don't live out my senior years in poverty. I have been working for 40 years and it's just not right to have your contributions taken away.

July 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thor

You should not have gambled your retirement dollars. If you had invested in solid securities, your fund would not have depreciated. Mine is going up. Yours is going down. You gambled. Sorry. Keep working then.

July 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

I agree. I took a slam during the Bush years – I lost half my pension. I am facing retirement in 10 years and I can not afford to lose my savings again. Shame on Boehner and the rest. They are screwing the middle class.

July 26, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • vloplame

Thor's reply stands as a testament to the love Americans have towards their fellow countrymen,

July 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

@Thor, congratulations, I've never seen a more "neener neener neener" type of childish comment. You should have just gone ahead and ended it with the implied "so there!" You sound like a ten-year-old.

July 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Loki

THOR, THAT IS JUST NOT RIGHT

BACK TO ASGARD

July 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rana

Here is a Cut, Cap and Balance plan for the hypocrites in US Congress. Until they learn to work together to balance the budget with taxes and spending cuts, stop waste ful spending in defense, TSA, and corporate and individual subsidies, the Congress should CUT their salaries to Zero, CAP their campaigning events to ZERO, and BALANCE their hypocrisy by giving up the generous Congressional Pension and HealthCare that we pay for. That would be a good downpayment towards a balanced budget.

July 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

AMEN!

July 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lance

What part of "not spending beyond your income" is so difficult to grasp? Seriously?

July 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • vloplame

I used to think that things operated that simply. I am sure that we could do just that, but it might turn out to become a situation of " the operation was a success, but the patient died".

July 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

What part of "increase revenues when you must and when you can" is so difficult to understand? Both cuts and taxes are required for ending this nightmare. The deficit is too big for spending cuts alone to solve.

July 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

Boehner & Cantor should be tried for TREASON for endangering the financial integrity and future of The United States of America.

July 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lance

Along with Reid, Pelosi, and Obama. All of them.

July 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • abcdef12345

I am with you brother!!! I cant believe people would suggest to not spend money you dont have, balance the budget, and cut spending to what you take in. WHat do you call that? FInancial principles? Who cares...lets write those checks so I can have more cheese paid for by white (includes Asian and Asian Indians) rich people.

July 26, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darrin

News flash: when you're trillions of dollars in debt, I'd say your financial integrity said 'bye-bye' a long time ago.

July 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. R.J.

This is going to backfire very badly on the Republicans, and we will see another huge pendulum swing back the other way in the next election. I am a registered Republican, but will be dropping that designation now.

July 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • abcdef12345

Arent you behind me in line for Cheese paid for by rich white folks?

July 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jokesterer

I'm not frustrated. This is the debate we should be having every year–what do we want the government to do and who do we want to pay for it.

July 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. wam3

Go away republicans. You are ruining the country.

July 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • abcdef12345

I am so with you Brother!!! I cant wait to erect that gold statue of Obama in city square and kiss his feet when he walks by. I think he should be the new Pope!!!

July 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. A think Texan.

I am just thinking out loud, When the Republicans signed the "no tax pledge" could that be taken as an act of breaking the oath of office, and pledging allegiance to "a unelected governing body"
    and is so is this not treason? I am not sure but maybe some to needs to call them out on this.

July 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. guest

I have two Navy veterans that fought for freedom in WWII. I do not think this we the type of freedom they fought for. I feel like we have been kidnapped by the employee. It is time to fire them.s

July 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. FED UP WITH DEMS AND OBAMA

I AM NOT A TAKER – NOT A CORPORATE MINION – JUST A WORKER (AKA TAXPAYER) FOR THE LAST 38 YEARS – WHO IS SICK OF PAYING TAXES FOR LOPS WHO WILL NOT WORK AND WHO TAKE TAKE TAKE; I HAVE NEVER TAKEN A LOAN THAT I WON'T PAY BACK, NEVER TOOK FOOD STAMPS, NOR WELFARE, NOR MEDI-CAID, NOR UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE – I FOUND A JOB EVERY TIME I NEEDED ONE – UNLIKE THE FOLKS HERE WHO WHINE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING – THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE IF U WANT ONE!! I AM AN EMPLOYER WHO CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO WORK – WHY??? BECAUSE OBAMA AND THE DEMS GIVE THEM FOOD, FREE HOUSING, MONEY, ETC. ETC – NO WONDER THEY WON'T WORK!!!!

July 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • YOUR MOM

HONEY, YOU'RE NOT TAKING ANY OF THOSE THINGS BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN LIVING IN MY BASEMENT FOR THE LAST 38 YEARS. AND YOU RUN AN ETSY PAGE, THAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN EMPLOYER. PLEASE DON'T EMBARASS YOUR MAMA ANY MORE TODAY, YOU KNOW HOW MY NERVES ARE.

July 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Socal

I think its time for you to go.

July 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • YOUR DAD

Didn't your mother tell you to get your ass out of this basement and take out the trash? Get your ass upstairs and do what she told you!

July 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89