Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Craig

Funny how every post on the article is pro-Dem...

July 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Sled

Funny how you didn't read the whole post before commenting.

July 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiki

Every post? Funny how some people just see what they want to see.

July 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Count again. Your point?

July 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim Jensen

Anti-Republican is by no means pro-Dem.

July 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mb2010a

Apparently you didn't read the article...

July 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jey

Clowns!
    That's what they all are, in big Circus call Washington DC. Jeopardizing the livelihood millions and millions of Americans, just so they can play the political game of who's on first and who's on second. How can we have come this low in our history, the decline of America is real and if we Americans don't do anything to stop it now, tomorrow will be too late.

July 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mark

John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Mitch McConnell and the rest of their group are playing Republican roulette with the financial well-being of this county. Shame on every one of them.

July 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lance

You can honestly say that they are only ones... with a straight face, no less? You should be an actor.

July 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John Dunnebacke

I think Frank Zappa or Joe Walsh would have made better decisions then these bozos

July 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • CKPS -- California

Well - Joe Walsh, for sure.

July 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shawn-GA

Funny how the President knew that most people were not paying attention and if he came out now and looked like he was doing somehting and blamed the other guys you would all just fall in line. You need to pay more attention to your country more often folks... Why didn't they vote on this months ago? Why was the only budget that was put up by the President voted down 97-0 (yes that means no Democrate voted for it as well)

If we taxed every cent over $250k from EVERY person who makes that much it would run out in 6 months. Explain to me how taxing another few points will do ANYTHING? This is a fact, why are so many people so easly swayed by a press confrence with LIES in it??

Have you ever had a job from a poor person? The "Rich" they are targeting are the people hiring. Soooo tax them more and they cannot afford to hire people, take away the mortage tax credit and they stop building expensive homes which will mean less contruction.... I could keep going but I have a feeling that if you do not get it yet you never will. By the way why are we going after the people who pay more in taxes than anyone else? Why are you not addressing the fact that over 40% of the country pays NOTHING in taxes. If we had more people in the system instead of leaching off of it things would be better as well.

Come on folks do not be so easily played....

July 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • DAISHI

I didn't realize these multinational corporations making record profits needed more tax breaks in order to hire.

July 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn-GA

I can understand why you are confused, the President says Jet owners a lot and you do not hear the whole story. You would be correct if he said anyone over $1million or something like that. however he said anyone over 250k in the same speak as he says oil companies and Jet owners..... You see the details are important, don't just follow blindly.

July 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DMB, Atlanta, Ga

For more then a month I've listened and listened and listened. I'm tired of listening. I am now more then ready to make my vote count, to bad I can only vote in the state in which I reside, but if I had my way, I would disban congress!!!!!!!!!!! And let Pres. Obama do what he can then I would serve arrest warrants on all congressmen who let Bush and Cheney get us in this mess. Wake up people, don't point to the one whose got to clean up the litterbox, get the ones who put the mess in it. I'm voting for Obama in 2012. I like smart, intelligent men who know when to fold and when to hold.

July 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lance

Aaaah, you favor totalitarian leadership. Stalin would applaud you.

July 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn-GA

Obama did not start the fire I agree, he did however put gasoline and a truck of wood on it.

July 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. john gillies

How can John Boehner say that raising taxes on the rich is a bad idea but cutting benefits for those on social security and medicare and unemployment is a good idea. I am one of those rich guys and I have no problem with my taxes being increased to help this country and those less fortunate. He says i'll just stop working which is ridiculous I'll just work harder to make back the extra taxes I'll pay.

July 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine

I, will not.

July 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Peeved American

The GOP has sold out to a non-elected group of extremists that will agree to nothing but destroying a presidency – absolutely no intention of serving We The People.

To find the GOP theme song – see Groucho Marx "I'm Against It" on YouTube.

July 26, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. George in PA

Members of the Legislature can truly say, "We have met the enemy, and they are us".

July 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim in St. Louis

How dare Republicans protect a minority of Americans whose financial risk is slight and who have provided no new job creation, contrary to Mr. Boehner’s characterization. To promote a now or never…an all or nothing solution to our debt is soulless and uncaring in the face of the damage we will most likely face. Compromise represents the best of our democracy…that not every idea will please everyone and therefore must accommodate all good intentions, and citizens of opposing viewpoints. If this is how Republicans express love of country in a time of urgency, the GOP should be relegated to the ranks of disloyal and obsolete ideas.

If a cap and spend proposal was in place the last time we had a surplus, we might have avoided a rush into Iraq, saving the billions, or trillions, of dollars we seem to be in need of today. Not to mention live lost.

July 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Malcolm D

It has become clear that the Republicans and the Tea Party just care about their own politics and furthering the fortunes of the already rich. Whatever happened to politicians working in the best interests of the Country. It seems that after the billions of dollars spent by the Bush government (and not just on wars) and the Republicans want to do everything they can to oust Obama and to hell with everyone else.

July 26, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn-GA

Educate me on your facts that I missing, how has it become clear?

July 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn-GA

I mean youa re aware Obama has spent more in far less time right?

July 26, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Taxpayer48

Don't the politions work for us?? If they do then it would be nice if they listened to us or even cared that we are out here trying to make ends meet. I bet there is not on person in Congress or the Senate that is worried that if the debt is not increased they will not have a job.

July 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. CCalvin

I believe that we will suffer a strong and difficult to reverse residual effect if our elected officials fail to reach an agreement. We'll become even more ineffectual as a global presence and our ability to flex our economic and political muscle will be greatly weakened. It's true that we need to live within our means; what's more true today is that we sometimes need to increase our means in order to live. That's what a majority of our nation's population has been doing the last several years. Many people I know have had to look for better paying jobs or spouses who once had the luxury of staying home are now working to buy food, clothing and school supplies.

July 26, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rudolph

Does the majority on this blog pay taxes? I doubt it.
    It seems most believe that their existence relies on a government that is funded by anyone but them and it is astonishing that there is so little emphasis on where such a doomed reliance will take us.

July 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shawn-GA

Thank you.. I was starting to think Iw as the only one who skipped over the Kool-Aid

July 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiki

What a silly straw man. Can't you cut and paste something more compelling?

July 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • CKPS -- California

These two comments really make no sense - "doomed reliance?" "kool aid?" - substanceless nonsequitirs tagged onto the standard TeaBag assumption that anyone NOT greedily obsessed with their own personal fortune must be on welfare or not pay taxes. I not only PAY taxes - I am one of those $250k people who has paid ALOT of taxes over a very long period of time. And I really don't have such a big, apocaplyptic issue with the really NOT-so-big, NOT-so-apocalyptic hikes being proposed, especially when the alternative is taking away some senior's medicine, or some veteran's pension or my Dad's social security. BTW - how much taxes do you guys pay? What's the rental deduction for a double-wide running thee days?

July 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Len

What is being played out in Washington is one for the history books. The Republicans have not and are not willing to compromise because they are in the pocket of those 2% and corporate loop holders. Look at the profit of oil companies – even poor ol' BP. They have 2 parallel agendas working – try to get Pres. Obama to fail and screw the average working American. Yes, it will backfire...my Republican friends are getting really iritated with the Tea Party and those elected. I see the tide changing and I think Pres. Obama will win big in 2012 – get the House back, hold onto the Senate and then let's move forward.

July 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89