Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. JD

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Carolyn

I am appalled at the arrogant and irresponsible actions of the Congressional Republicans. They are obviously willing to bring this great country to it's knees rather than compromise. They were elected to bring balance to Washington not disfunction.

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ruth

I agree with Laura, above. Additionally, because of budget shortfalls my pay as a teacher has been frozen for three years. Since retirement income is based on the highest five years of salary, I have lost in this way also. I never thought, in my mid-60s, that I would be in such a poor financial position and that I will have to work until age 70 just to be, barely, above the poverty line. What I'm hearing from Republicans is that they want me to retire in poverty, with a low pension and no social security and medicare. Who do they think they are to foist this condition on someone who has worked a lifetime and paid into social security and medicare? I pay my bills and the country should also.

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jackie

They think we don't know who spent all this money (both parties). They think we don't know what it would mean if they don't cut spending, and bring in revenue. They don't think we know what they mean when they say we will not raise taxes on the American People, they mean the wealthy and corporations. Signing a pledge for a special interest group represents that interest group, not the American People. We elected tea party memebers so that compromise was done in Washington, they think we voted them in to simply stop the spending. I am starting to think that they, in Congress, actually believe what they say, and think we do too. Now who does not live in reality? Who is not too bright?

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gkingii

The president is focused entirely on getting himself re-elected. The only date he cares about is Nov. 2012 and the only way he knows how to win is spend more money we do no have. The GOP has offered up several plans that would cut the debt, raise revenue by making taxes more fair and raise the debt ceiling. Obama just preaches. He has no specific ideas and no real strategy in negotiations. He is the problem.

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldlady

Really? Gop not doing the same thing besides keeping their promise to make Obama fail? He's black, he should fail, right?

July 26, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bill

House leader Boehner is not the one the President should be dealing with. Erick Cantor is the real leader of the Republican party. His motivation goes a lot more than the deficit and he serves powerful masters behind the scene. Sooner or later he will expose himself or others with courage will expose him.

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jim Gaines

What ever happened to the Republican line about "reducing the deficit"? Now its just "reduce spending." We all know that is just part of the solution. The Bush tax cuts were passed as "temporary" at the time and that is why we keep talking about them "expiring."
    The Republicans say we can't let those cuts expire becuase the rich are "the job makers." What a lie! Everyone that is rich does not make jobs and raising thier taxes will not have an adverse affect on anything (except the rich). A rational jbusinessman tried to maximize profits. If that means laying people off they lay people off. If it means hiring eople they hire people. The idea that they would lay people off becuase of increased taxes is ridiculous. If anything it would mean they would work harder (hire MORE people) to try and make up for it. It's time we wake up and realize what the Republicans are selling – tax breaks for the rich and for the insurance and oil industries amont others.

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine

That isnt how it works. If I get less money to produce more, I produce less. Unless I am an idiot. Look at the math: 35% tax on 999.000, or I get 651,000. 42% tax on more than 1 million I would have to make more than 11500000 just to turn a profit. Stupid not to just go on vacation and let all the workers go when I am pushing 990000.

July 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Grizz

And soon you will be living in a van down by the river Jack! Like the rest of us,,,

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tom Colombotti

This reminds me of the Chilean Mining disaster, Congress and the President are topside fighting and America is is in the mine.
    They cant agree how to get us out, so we sit there and cant do a darn thing about it.

As a miner I would feel appalled, as the President or Congress , I would feel embarrassed.

July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Susab

I'm willing to pay a little more for the privilege of living in this country. I am furious that a few people in Congress are holding this country hostage! I am 65, a retired RN and am watching my savings disappear on the stock market. How dare these tea baggers so cavalierly play with my life!! Speaker Boehner needs to get his people in line and raise this debt ceiling so that we don't all go down the tubes.

July 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brian

Some of these comments make me think we truly are dumber than the politicians we elect!

July 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sally

The selfishness of the Republicans is breathtaking! The economy has suffered because of the harsh stance taken by these people. They are out to destroy the president and if the country goes down in flames, they could car less. The idea of taking from senior citizens so that rich people can keep their taxes down is lower than low!

July 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • oldlady

Thank you !!!!
      I agree 100%

July 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. littleoldme

Now let me get this right, we have elected officials (who by the way have a real good chance of not getting re-elected) who from all appearances do not care one bit about the people that put them in office, time to wake up it wasn't the millionaires that went to the polls, it was the common man. Now, the common American who is just scrapping by can watch what little savings they have in their 401K go completely away, you don't think Wall Street is going to go up do you? Hate to be somebody who needs social securiity to keep a roof over their head, pay medical copays and the medicine needed to keep me alive, not a good thought to see a lot of people on the street, and dying – that is a realistic thought, but guess no one cares about that aspect of all of this do they. Don;t pay the military, wake up they have guns, planes, and are very tired of it all – not a happy thought. Time the all the boys and girls in Washington to grow up and make the right decision.

July 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BEC

The Tea Party People know what they want and rightful it needs to be presented in an organized way for the public to understand. You do not get the rats to leave the ship by blowing it up.

July 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Matthew

Throughout this process, Obama has had two goals: Raise taxes on people he thinks make too much money, and kick the can far enough down the road to the point that it doesn't interfere with his re-election chances (at least not explicitly). If Obama really wanted a deal, he would be proposing specific, immediate, substantial cuts to the CURRENT fiscal year to go along with the witch hunt of CEOs that he is trying to incite.

July 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89