Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Evelyn

I remember reading about "The Great Depression" I never thought our country would let that happen again! But here we are families are living in tent cities, children are homeless, good hard working people can't find jobs! Why!!!!I have no problems w/the rich but they need to payout like the rest of us majority do! Wake up America smell the stench in the air!

July 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gov. J. Conley

The President is working for all of us. Who does Boehner work for? Do the Republicans hate Mr. Obama? I wonder since they suddenly have never heard of Ronald Reagan, their once beloved saint.

July 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Westgrl

Democrats who rarely agree to large cuts in programs that benefit middle class are agreeing to deep cuts. So where is the compromise from Republicans? They won't budge on the tax cuts for the wealthy. I don't see compromise. I see heels being dug in with the my way or no way stand. Meanwhile, Americans lives are literally in their hands. The politicians, all of them – both parties, are destroying this country. I hope they are all ready to lose their jobs because I think every single person currently sitting in DC who allows this to happen has no right to remain there & I will vote against them and I don't care what party they belong to. They are supposed to be there for the PEOPLE and they are only pushing their own personal agendas right now. It's an embarrassment that the rest of the world is watching this.

July 26, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • cruiser808

Well said!

July 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kyle

Reading the comments above, it's not that hard to figure out why we have the imapsse; there is still too much time being spent blaming one side or the other. The time to point fingers has passed, it's time to reach a compromise...and a compromise is not one side gets everything they want.

July 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jimbr

Do not raise the debt ceiling. That is what has gotten us to this terrible state we are in. If you give Washington another dollar they will go out and spend $10. Cut their pay and benefits and starve them out. Then you will find out who the true servents are.

July 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • FED UP WITH DEMS AND OBAMA

RIGHT ON – WELL SAID!

July 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ernie

>> What have we learned in 2,064 years?
    >> "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
    >> public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
    >> tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should
    >> be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to
    >> work, instead of living on public assistance."
    >> Cicero – 55 BC
    >> Evidently nothing!

July 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarineMom55

Ernie, great idea, work! Are you hiring?

July 26, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • woohoo

Yes yes yes!

July 26, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carlos

I cannot believe the people leading this country can jeopardize the future of our children because they want to play politics. Polarization is the worst enemy to the democracy. Start behaving like adults and "DO YOUR JOB" within the time you have to do it. It should be the number one priority of Americans to demand politicians accountability.

July 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Amy Rivard

Wow, the economys in the toilet so hit the poor and low income!! There's the answer! PLEASE give me a break!!! This is an outrage!!!!!! Bypass the wealthy who have more money then they know what to do with lets get what little money the poor and low income have that'll solve the problem. When do we stop worrying so much about everyone across the oceans and worry about our own home? I am not real political, I can't stand any of it, but from what I am understanding and hearing I am so angry!!! Do these rich politicians plan to give my mother a room when she doesn't get her only source of income from social securtiy? Do they plan to help feed my four children cause I can't afford to even with 3 jobs between my husband and I? This is ridiculous!

July 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rebecca

These party line divides are for the birds. Let us, the educated tax paying citizens vote on these bills just as a jury would vote on a crime case. Choose taxpaying citizens randomly and fly us in on Airforce 1. No, they make us vote these local, state and federal politicians in office that only care about getting reelected, moving up the ladder and collecting a paycheck. We are intelligent enough to personally serve on juries without government officials speaking for us.

Of course these politicians want the best of both worlds and have inspirations of greatness. Most of us, as just regular human beings that are not employed by the government, parties and politics aside – want things to go smooth in order to "live and let live". It's OUR fault for separating the party lines and degrading each others views so much that good politicians will do what is wrong just to be reelected. It's a broken system. We will never have an effective government without government reform. It's just one huge game of tug of war. Party lines are dividing America and it is one big scam for political party nominees to be able to attract an audience of seemingly like mind citizens.

July 26, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. abby

Obama and the Democrats have shown a willingness to compromise while the GOP & Tea Party have shown only that it is their way or no way - that their desire is to bring down Obama and the Democrats rather than help the American people - they are willing to destroy the very system that protects the poorest among us, the old people, etc. BUT refuse to ask the multi-billionaires, billionaires, multi-millionaires, and millionaires to contribute in helping this nation out of its current difficulties -

This is not politics, this is the equivalent of economic terrorism. so, let's call the GOP & TP what they really are - economic terrorists.

July 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lynelle Troyke

If the Congress doesn't get the debt ceiling raised, the first checks that should not be written are the ones that pay the members of congress. They clearly aren't doing their job and deserve no pay anyway. Unbelievable that the Republicans are holding the whole country hostage until they get their way. Can you spell "compromise."

July 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jay

It will be a long, long, long, long time before I ever vote for a republican or a tea party favorite again. They are the ones trying to destroy this country just so they can blame Obama. It is literally sickening!!!

July 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. jyoung

I am completely confused by the individuals who call themselves Americans not understanding a very eloquent and simply worded speech about the mess we are in. Who are these people? What planet did they come from? I do not understand how anyoine in their right mind can agree that all we need to do is cut spending. In your household, if you are overextended you cut out things that are not necessary, but you also try to increase your income by getting a second job for a little while. If you can't balance your checkbook and run out of money before you pay all the bills something doesn't get paid. You have to liquidate your assets or get a second or third job sometimes you have to do both! I would not enjoy it but I would pay a bit more in taxes if it helped us get out of this mess. OH WAIT, I will be paying more and my salary will be frozen for at least 2 years and I will have to pay more into my retirement...I'm a federal employee that earned less than 25K for 27 years of my career, it has taken 35 years to finally earn what I do earn and it is NO WAY near $90K. So all of you folk making $250K or more, get real....stop whining and pay your fair share too. Don't even get me started on corporate loop holes and no taxes being paid on the huge profits they are making.

July 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • egbert

I make 250K per year and I am willing to pay more... as are most people in that bracket. It is the tea partiers who pledge allegiance to grover that are obstructing the will of the American people

July 26, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joseph Ernst

I make about 350K, and I'm willing to pay more. I wrote my congressman and told him that too. I don't speak for the TEA party, but I'd be glad to debate any TEA party member that makes as much or more than I do.

July 26, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • FED UP WITH DEMS AND OBAMA

IF YOU WANT TO PAY MORE THEN WHY DO YOU ACCEPT THE TAX DEDUCTIONS THAT ARE OFFERED??? GO AHEAD AND SEND MORE TO OBAMA AND REID – U DO IT – BUT DON'T ACT LIKE THE REST OF US AGREE WITH U. WHEN THESE POLITICIANS TAKE ALL YOU HAVE THEN WHAT? U STILL OWE FOR THE FOLKS ON WELFARE FOR 25 YEARS WHO HAVEN'T PAID A DIME AND NEVER WILL.

July 26, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. noparty38

There are millions of Americans (primary qualification – no special interest affiliations) who could come up with a viable, huge deficit reduction plan in a week. Give me a little data, and I'll do it!!

July 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Law54

The Republican party is using blackmail to push their agenda forward. They are not for the average American they are for themselves. The Pesident is willing to compromise – are they ?

July 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89