Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate
July 26th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Beyond frustrated with debt stalemate

As debt ceiling talks continue, last night both sides presented reasons for a stalled solution. President Barack Obama called the political showdown "no way to run the greatest country on Earth" while House Speaker John Boehner insisted that excessive government spending is the root cause of America's financial problems and that expenditure cuts are the only solution.

Based on their comments, CNN.com readers are frustrated by the deadlock and many blame Republicans and House Speaker Boehner for not being willing to compromise.

Comment of the morning:

“It's looking to me kinda like grandma won't get her SS check because we invaded Iraq needlessly. That's pretty hard to swallow.” - ArooMadazda

Where’s the compromise?

Here's what else our readers had to say on the issue:

MasterJ51503 said, “Other than surrendering himself for impeachment, President Obama has given the Republican party EVERYTHING they desire. This is about as much compromise from Democratic leadership I have seen in decades, and the Republicans un-willingness to strike a deal on such circumstances that favor them tremendously only shows their true agenda: they want to paint Obama as a "failure.”

aahawks said, “No matter which side you are on, the President said one important word: "Compromise." From what I see, Obama is willing to make cuts and meet in the middle. The Republicans are not willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or no way. Compromise is how we get things done.”

TorukMakto said, “Can we get the approval ratings for Boehner? I thought Bush was bad, but I have never seen a politician so openly threaten to let the U.S. economy get destroyed as long as the wealthy and corporations continue to enjoy the Bush TAX CUT.”

adamThegr8 said, “Obama speaks to you. Bohner speaks at you.”

Samuel27 said, “Boehner's speech boiled down to ‘Do what I say, and no one gets hurt!’”

TryLogic said, “Hey, Boehner: It's not a blank check. It's a debt ceiling increase, which has happened 74 times since 1962. And it's for exactly $2.4 trillion. Stop holding our nation hostage with politics.”

TheRealist20 said, “Boehner chooses to make extra cuts to Medicare and Social Security so he can preserve tax CUTS that were supposed to expire anyway, for the wealthiest 2 percent of the population. What a total slime ball.

Switters02 said, “Boehner cannot get his 'plan' passed by the House – 39 Republican Representatives have SIGNED A PLEDGE not to vote for it. Priceless.......”

anonyname said, “Remember, Speaker Boehner, if you break, it you own it. While you try to blackmail the President to keep millionaires and billionaires from paying more taxes, you are in GRAVE danger of being the guy who places the last straw that craters our economy. Do you want to be remembered forever as the guy who did that?”

Guest responded, “It's the President who doesn't UNDERSTAND the economy. He has NO background to be in the position as the President. It's showing BIG time here.

zzbbe said, “For some strange reason Boehner is determined to reelect Obama. His performance last night must have been worth many million votes for the Democrats.”

ihantotta said, “Poor Boehner. He looked so pathetic. He had to get up in front of the whole country and tell us that his party won't lift a finger for the common man.”

Truthwins101 responded, “Any sane person listening to Boehner last night would never be able to vote for Obama again in a million years. If you pull the lever for Obama in 2012 it speaks VOLUMES about your lack of mental capacity.”

brianguy123 said, “Obama's speech rambles about the year 2000, teachers, firefighters and corporate jets, none of which have anything to do with the issues at hand. The guy is from Pluto. He is not living in the real world.”

CorruptUS said, “If I had to choose right now between the plans presented last night. Hands down would I choose the one Obama was pushing.”

apaige said, “President Obama explained the debt ceiling crisis in everyday language to many Americans who didn't understand how serious this situation has become. He asked for balance and compromise while Boehner spent his time attacking the President. More importantly, the President told the country how a small cult of extremists have taken over the government and produced this very dangerous and unnecessary stalemate.”

ChefCHEESE said, “I watched President on TV last night and I think his plan makes 100% sense. The Republicans are an arrogant bunch of people who act as if they are still in power. I hope the voters will realize that and given them a real beating in election in 2012.”

gman90210 said, “Obama is openly lying to you. 'Tax the millionaires and billionaires'. Then in the same speech the plan is to tax 250k+, which is closer to zero than a million. Democrats can't understand simple math, blindly following a clueless leader who only cares to kick the can down the street to get past the next election instead of solving real problems.”

BobnLA said, “What is sad is that the President has to ask people to get involved in their own future. Getting a phone number or email address for any politician is simple- Google them. The real problem? Most Americans don't know who their representatives are!”

fiskenmann said, “Contact your lawmakers? Sorry, Mr. President, our lawmakers in South Dakota do not respond to voters unless you give them a check!!!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

soundoff (2,307 Responses)
  1. Jon

This article is from a liberal point of view – most viewers (60-70%) on CNN.com are liberal (based on cnn website poll questions where 60-70% of cnn website viewers vote for the liberal point of view and most if not all comments in this article criticize Republicans and not Democrats). I'm independent and both sides have plans which will raise the debt limit. Both Democrat and Republican plans will raise the debt limit – this article indicates the Republican plan is wrong and bad – but it raises the debt limit – which is the most important thing (as does the Democrat plan) – if someone doesn't like the Republican way to raise the debt limit and gives positive info on the democrat plan – it means your view is against Republicans and for Democrats (just politics and matter of opinion). Both plans raise the debt limit – which is the main goal.

July 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • israel

meanwhile cnn newscasters constantly bring in conservatives to hear their point of view....the sad truth is that most conservatives are completely out of touch with modern day america and there is no room for progression when you have people who think the old status quo is good enough.....the conservatives only dig their own grave everytime they decide to stonewall another process in the name of politics or take shots at obama (which they do every single chance they get).....they are the ones who are completely unwilling to compromise and have even said so themselves, especially the tea party.....once again, they're just gonna dig their own graves with their dangerous rhetoric and unwillingness to do what politicians in this country have been doing since the first session of congress.....COMPROMISE

July 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Rational Man

IS IT THAT SIMPLE? Really?

I thought the goal was to raise the debt limit IN A REASONABLE WAY that doesn't break the backs of the middle class and poor people! I certainly don't give a damn about corporations who pay little to NO taxes to begin with and whose only concern is for their own profits. And the very wealthy? Let them pay their fair share for a change!

HOW SOON WE FORGET THE SERIOUS DAMAGE 8 YEARS OF JR. BUSH AND THE REPUBLICAN MONEY-GRUBBERS HAVE CAUSED US!.

REMEMBER – It was the REPUBLICANS WHO BROUGHT US TO THE BRINK OF ANOTHER GREAT DEPRESSION, AND THE REPUBLICANS WHO WILL CONTINUE DOING THAT AS LONG AS IGNORANT PEOPLE KEEP VOTING FOR THEM!!

July 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • israel

ps: a number of republicans dont like the plan and have publicly said they won't vote for it, an independent commission said that the numbers boehner gave out aren't truthful....it has nothing to do with cnn....they're just reporting the facts and the facts are that boehners plan isn't a good idea.....neither side is willing to just raise the debt limit both sides want a solution, raising the debt limit by itself is not a solution, just a time saving measure and we can't afford that right now

July 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mario

Wow...leaders that do not know what leadership is. Boehner and this country are being held hostage by "The Tea Party" That entire group should be fired immediately. Who in the heck can be a leader by saying that its their way or no way. This is a democracy, where compromise is the only way. At least Obama is trying something..anything. And I say this being a Republican! What an embarrasing bunch of impotent losers. The Republican party should be the true leadership of this country and it is stearing it right into an abyss.

July 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

Mario sums up this mess perfectly. It seems like the only thing that our elected officials are interested in is getting reelected. What happened to serving our country? Send them all home!

July 26, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allen N Wollscheidt

Patricia - Send them all to prison.

July 26, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Insight

It is time to recycle congress men and senators through term limit. The more time they spent at Washington the more detached they are from ordinary people.

July 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joanne

I am thinking they should all be fired. Most of us would be if we did our jobs this way.

July 26, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ann

HOW BIASED CNN. You only report posts from Obama supporters...give me a break.

July 26, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiki

How silly Ann, you didn't read through the article which contains criticisms as well. Try reading for comprehension.

July 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Agree Ann – this is a biased liberal article (very against Republicans and very pro Democrats) – doesn't present both sides fairly at all.

July 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

It's more like it's biased against idiot drama queens refusing to compromise.

July 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The mighty Fahvog

I am retired. I paid my dues under Nixon ( the Crook) Ford ( The bumbler) Carter ( The Weak puke) Reagen (It trickled down on me) The first Bush (read my lips) Clinton (slick willy, But finished with a bang. No pun intented) W BUSH ( Mission Accomplished I wrecked the economy Looking for W M D)
    And now A CRY BABY that is speaker of the house and afraid to tell his tea baggers to SHOVE IT!

I,m MAD AS HELL!!!!!!!! AND NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS BULL CRAP ANYMORE! OH BY THE WAY I VOTE

July 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • TREX

ME AND MINE VOTE TOO, AND NOT NOT NOT FOR THE gop

July 26, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. damn texan

Am I the only one here that's not a millioniare?hell I ain't even a 1000.00 aire I'm barely able to pay my bills.I'm on social security and my militery pension. and still draw under 24000.00 a year and live on it, and thats all my whole yearly income.are there anymore pour folks besides me that have a computer, and know how to use it?I sure wish you would I feel so alone here with all these rich people.

July 26, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christina

I know EXACTLY where you are coming from!!! My husband is disabled and I am his sole caretaker. We also have a 10 year old son and I'm so stressed out waiting to find out if our SS check is coming so I can pay our bills and buy school supplies!!!

July 27, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lea

The main problem is not with the mainstream Republican party but with the Tea Party faction. I believe the Tea Party members all flunked Economics 101. What a scary bunch to have steering the House debate about the economy.

July 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • TREX

SO DID OU CONTACT YOUR REPS?

July 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lea

Yes, I contacted my rep and my senators. They make too much money and have too many benefits for the pitiful job they have been doing.

July 26, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Allen N Wollscheidt

This entire charade is nothing but vile political theater !

Had I the power to do so, I would toss EVERY elected member of the entire Federal government into jail at hard labor for five years.

July 26, 2011 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mark

OK i get it. a small f(r)action of the population has an idea and a cause. Wonderful, what a country!
    Now let them instill this demand and just down right ignorance on the many. Time for most of them to get new jobs! and into the economy they are leading us into...good luck. Cut their wages, cap their unemployment, and bouncelance them right out of here. rightwing bs with a take it from them but leave mine alone. lemmings anyone?

July 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pam

I have a hard time listening to republicans standing in front of cameras and saying that Obama is not showing bipartisanship. If he bent over any further...well you know!

July 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

They should have at least bought him dinner first.

July 26, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lisa Cortney

Well, regardless of which side you sit on, I think it would behoove us all to start developing a liking for cat food. *sigh

July 26, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TREX

THE TEABAGGERS ARE SHOWING EVERY NORMAL CITIZEN WHAT NOT TO DO.....THEY ARE DEVISIVE, DECEPTIVE,.......UNCOMPROMISING,.....AND WILL LOSE VERY BIG IN NOVEMBER OF 2012.......................THEN THEY WILL THREATEN VIOLENCE.........WE KNOW THIS

July 26, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. G Smith

No debt deal by August 2nd...Boehner should step down as Speaker of the House...PERIOD>>>>

July 26, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • israel

if there is no debt deal, every single politician in the house that was supported by the tea party should be impeached, they're nothing but a cancer to this great nation at this point and they're going to ruin our way of life

July 26, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. stacy12

OH WHATS THE MATTER AMERICA WE CANT GET WHAT WE WANT NOW WE GONNA CRY ABOUT IT WELL TOUGH LUCK WE TAKE MONEY FOR GRANTED IN THIS COUNTRY WE NEED A REALITY CHECK U BUCH OF WHINNING LIL BABYS THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH THIS COUNTRY WE ARE GREEDY PEOPLE THE RICH GET RICHER THE POOR GET POORER I SEE IT EVERYDAY THE RICH DRIVING BY A HOMLESS GUY IN A ROLLS ROYCE WHILE THE GUY ON THE STREET STRUGLES TO EVEN STAY ALIVE

July 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • sam

Ooooh, someone doesn't like their McJob today....

July 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89