Pot farms in California forest raided, dozens arrested
About 292,000 marijuana plants were found in the raid.
July 26th, 2011

Pot farms in California forest raided, dozens arrested

Nearly 80 people have been arrested in the largest marijuana-eradication law enforcement operation in California history, several local reports say. About 292,000 plants have been discovered, Justice Department spokeswoman Michelle Gregory told the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat.

Raids involving local, state and federal authorities have been going on for days in the Mendocino National Forest in remote, mountainous areas in Glenn, Colusa, Tehama, Mendocino, Lake and Trinity counties, according to the Tehama County Daily News.

Officials are beginning the massive cleanup of the sites, which have suffered environmental damage, the Daily News and Press-Democrat report.

The idea for the operation reportedly came after a public meeting in Covelo in north Mendocino County in 2010. Residents said that armed people had confronted them in and around the forest. Hikers and ranchers also said they had been shot at when they mistakenly walked into areas where marijuana was being grown, the Press-Democrat reports.

It's unclear who the growers might be.

Pot farms on national forests have been a problem in California and across the country for years.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Marijuana
  1. Pablo

Sorry guys, the same chemical ingredient one obtains from smoking pot is available in a prescription form. And one does not need to smoke the pill to get relief.
    As for the money that you think would be gained through taxes, these people are not paying taxes on their crops now. What makes you think that if they are illegally growing now that they would happily pay taxes on a legal crop? They will just contaminated our natural Forests with another illegal grow.

July 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brenda

What a Waste!! Of Time , Energy , $$$$$$ , and WEED!!

July 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ScratchMe

All that wasted bio-mass!!! But the DEA doesn't think about that... they probably are afraid the energy provided by 292,000 pounds of pot (that's assuming each plant weighed a pound) would get a power plant HIGH!

What a waste!

July 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jared Roussel

More like the DEA has a new revenue stream on the black market.

July 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • studypeople

I'm for legalizing Marijuana. But I will not support farming anything in a National or State Forest. I would label Marijuana in a Forest as an Invasive Species.

July 26, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. petercha

Let me get this straight.....
    Alcohol kills millions....
    Tobacco kills millions.....
    And there are some who want to legalize yet another drug? And a gateway drug at that? Wow.

July 26, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Alcohol and tabacoo are far more harmful than weed. Who cares if it is legalized, it would save lives from the drug cartels and get rid of that black market demand, it would be taxable for our government and it hasn't been proven harmful. And it is not a gateway drug, someone doing hard drugs simply has no discipline, lets not blame something besides that person. So yes, most esperienced and non sheltered people do want it legalized.

July 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • flarnkingsgargle

marijuana has never killed anyone. and the gateway theory only works BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL. You ever hear of liquor stores selling crack and meth? No, they don't because it would imperil their LEGAL business. Same would go for pot shops if it was legal. Currently, dealers deal illegally, so they might as well sell other illegal drugs since they are assuming the risk. You and your ignorance are a blight on society.

July 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jillian Galloway

Millions of people use marijuana and *nobody* dies.

Legalizing adult alcohol sales did a fantastic job of keeping organized crime out of the alcohol market, the exact same thing will happen to marijuana when we legalize adult marijuana sales. If we truly want to keep our children safe from criminals like these and safe from needless arrests then we *must* legalize adult marijuana sales. Smoking marijuana may be dumb but nobody should be arrested for it!

July 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Peter, where is your proof that Marijuana is a gate way. I was smoking tobacco before I even touched pot, and before that I was tripping on acid before I smoked pot, and majority of the people I know started drinking and using tobacco before they even got a hold of pot. The only reason I can see people consider pot to be a "gate-way" is you go to your local drug dealer he will say sorry i'm out of pot, but I have some coke, heroine, or meth.

July 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ape Lincoln

Gateway drug lol.....I don't drink alcohol or smoke tobacco. But I will smoke weed.

July 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • SLamminsam

I take notice you did not mention making alocohol and tobacco illegal, Let me guewss, you smoke and drink; you have your vices and F everybody else. Put down the Bubweiser and the Camel and wake up!

July 26, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • 420chik

Fail I drank before I ever smoked & I have never needed to try anything else it does the job keeps me relaxed & happy. I've also been able to lose 90lbs by eating before toking to maintain my high.

July 26, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Epiphany

You know it's funny how all the pot smokers come out to support their useless reliance on something. Yea I guess you NEED your friggin high. Gotta have something to get your buzz right? Don't go calling others ignorant just because you can't get your damn high on. It's pathetic to watch people whine and moan about how pot is somehow magical that it does "nothing" bad and that it's illegal for them. Guess some people never mature, need something to get buzzed on to live. And please, save me the medicinal arguments. There are those who are really sick and yada yada some doctor says it will help. Then get your prescription, all the other morons just want their high.

July 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • danielle

gateway drug??? only people who are against marijuana says stupid crap like that, but you are right about one thing tobacco and alcohol and just about every prescription drug on the market are legal and kill thousands every year, but the one thing that doesn't kill and actually helps is illegal! where is the logic? doesn't make sense and frankly makes people like you look like an idiot!

July 27, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • danielle

epiphany, i don't even smoke, drink, or smoke pot, but that has to be the most retarded thing i've ever heard! get a life!

July 27, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. flarnkingsgargle

I think one thing that all democrats and republicans can agree to cut from federal spending is funding for marijuana prohibition. Well, everyone except for the politicians who get their re-election campaigns partially funded by businesses and agencies who thrive from marijuana being illegal.

July 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • peace

sorry this isn't to you but couldn't reply to Epiphany...do some research..most perscription drugs come from PLANTS ....and if you can allow alcohol and require people to be 21 why not weed and you'll need to be 21 tax it ...let it help the people and get your nose out of my business...now these guys in a national parks is wrong...

July 26, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. terry rabun

Everybody is missing the point of this article! It was about innocent being confronted by armed men. If the growers had a lower profile and didn't threaten people, the pot would still be growing there today

July 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • flarnkingsgargle

they are only confronting people because it's illegal and they are worried about theft. it it was legal, they could keep it in a shop or on a legal farm and rely on the police to protect them. Also, they could protect themselves and their property legally with their own guns in the name of self defense.

July 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucidz

It wasn't THEIR PROPERTY professor. They were there illegally!

July 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • vicki

I think you are the most intelligent person that left a reply here. Something isn't quite right if people can't hike or walk around and getting shot at. These guys are saying marijuana doesn't kill, but the dealers,growers, and cartels do.

July 26, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • JP

Thanks Terry, I live in the area where they are raiding. People here can't even go on their own property because of the illegal crops and gun toting growers. Forget about going on a hike or just site seeing. All you need to tell that they are around is see all the plastic water tanks going down the road. They are destroying the beautiful forests. What a shame. I am glad they are here.

July 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. isadore

I have severe PTSD. Cannabis helps me be able to live my life. I hardly smoke a lot, but it helps.... a lot more than heavy sedating prescription meds. The prescription meds have way more dangerous side affects than cannabis. One prescription med landed me in the emergency room with hallucinations!! I took the prescribed dose. Cannabis never did that.
    Our country is so stupid and backwards sometimes...

July 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Noah

Why is this plant still illegal? A serious waste of tax payer money. The real crime is that we have to pay for the raid, the cleanup, and the court costs associated with this mess. California: Tax it already and make it legal.

July 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  9. SyriaLibyaUSA

Everyone must come together and take a stand. A majority of people are for decriminalization. We must march to washington and smoke up. Only 500,000 people would be enough to send a message. We need to be loud and clear like Syria and Libya protests.

WE THE PEOPLE DEMAND YOU STOP PUTTING A HUGE BURDEN ON OUR SOCIETY. WE WILL REBEL AND WE WILL NOT SURRENDER.

if not, you are just putting billions of dollars to waste, and thousands of years of good peoples lives to waste. We will not stand for the stangling of our most intellectual people.

July 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Flyingstar

Make it legal. Problem solved! Duh..

July 26, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. 420chik

I have been in favor of legalizing all illegal substances, since the age of 14 when I started to understand the foundation on which this country was established the desire to express ones FREE WILL...

When I was 14 I noticed how all of my friends who smoked cig's, Pot, or drank alcohol did it to rebel. Then I turned 21 & drank for the 1st time because it was FINALLY LEGAL. I absolutely hated it... I got so sick from just 2 drinks... I found out I'm allergic to alcohol... great what now... I like to have a good time with my friends, but can't drink now & parties suck if your sober...
    Then one night I was at a party & smelt this smell I remembered from my early childhood... I asked what is that
    smell? My friends just busted out laughing at me and said "pot". I was stunned...I couldn't believe it!!! My mom used to smoke pot when I was a kid... So, I had them pass me the blunt & I got to meet sweet Mary-Jane. I received a definite buzz & almost immediately felt a relaxed sensation, & I have been smoking ever since... not constantly just... When I get home from work & have had a particularity bad day, before bed to help when I have trouble sleeping, & when with friends watching movies (non-public of course).
    I pay my bills on time, I own my home & my car not the bank. I visit my grandparents most weekends (generally I need a blunt after a visit with my grandmother
    she drives me up the wall).
    I am the average pothead non-violent... these guys were in a national forest, & they were shooting a people... smooth moves ex-lax.
    Please make it legal then these dumb butt's would lose their clientele, I hate getting ripped off... & would love to stop having to risk jail time just to enjoy the right to express my FREE WILL.

July 26, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canuck

Government wont legalize pot due to the c.i.a would be obselete. You have to remember its about control and you and the rest of the sheeple have no choice in life. You are runned by the billdaburg group and your thoughts mean nothing. This is society so hopefully you learn off what the real deal is today. By 2012 your civil rights will be taken away from you as US all.
      Good luck and hopefully you understand how these crooks work.

July 26, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Epiphany

Wow, doesn't take a psychologist to see what you just wrote to everyone. Basically you needed some buzz to rely on and you found pot. Good luck in life kid. Apparently the world is all understood at 14 and 21. You've got a ways to go if you need stuff like pot to operate in life. If you're doing what the peer social life is telling you to, guess you have "free will". Sounds like sheep to me.

July 26, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. GMK

The law creates a situation where dried plant material is worth $3000+ per pound and this is news? I'm surprised that there isn't cannabis growing on every mountain and in every valley in the country. Don't worry, there's plenty more where that came from.

By the way, in 1914, prior to the Harrison Narcotics Act, the addiction rate in the USA was .25%. That's a quarter of one percent. The country had 100 million people at the time, so that translates to 250,000 people. And, that was when it was all 100% LEGAL. If we had such a rate today, they would claim victory!

July 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. wm

Far more harm is generated by cannabis being illegal than it being legal. Perhaps it's the new witch hunt of our century and one day we'll look back and wonder how we could have been so stupid. When we legalize it and study the positive effects there will be more than ample evidence to justify the change. Things like this article won't happen or shouldn't happen and the environment will be better for it. Just switching to hemp instead of cotton will save thousands of tons of topsoil and decrease the amount of toxins needed to grow cotton.

July 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. john

I would normally say this is a waste of time since I think Marijuana should be legal for adults. However, when people are destroying our land and confronting people with guns and violence, then yes they should be taken out of business.

However, these people wouldn't be in the marijuana business if it was legal. These problems are a direct result of forcing marijuana onto the black market.

July 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Canuck

I do notice from pot smokers who smoke daily are cranky when there sober! Sorta like me when im sober on alcohol but i guess an addiction is an addiction with sober emotion. Pot and alcohol work from ONES mind depends on the seritone level.
    I myself smoked it when i was young and it made me paranoid and tired after years of abuse with booze/pot and caine but then agian take two of the three out and maybe i wouldnt of been so sketchy lol. G>L

Galway resources gwy-x will make you a fortune if your an investor

July 26, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |