All about the Benjamins: Comic raps on follies of debt-ceiling fight
Comedian Remy Munasifi is superimposed in front of Washington landmarks while rapping in "Raise the Debt Ceiling."
July 27th, 2011

All about the Benjamins: Comic raps on follies of debt-ceiling fight

Raps about rival gangs are so Clinton-era. It's all about Democrats and Republicans these days.

Comedian Remy Munasifi appears in a music video posted Tuesday on YouTube called "Raise the Debt Ceiling," about the current impasse on Capitol Hill.

With about 39,000 views as of Wednesday afternoon, the video has gone somewhat viral. The video appeared on ReasonTV, the YouTube channel for Reason magazine, a libertarian monthly that promotes what it calls "free minds and free markets."

The music video features the comic superimposed in front of Washington landmarks, Benjamin Franklin's $100-bill mug and a graffitied wall inscribed with "Greenspan 1987-2005" and "Fed Life." Throughout the video, he employs an apropos "raise the roof" dance move.

Munasifi appeared Wednesday on "CNN Newsroom."

"When you watch the coverage, it's Republicans calling the Democrats crazy and the Democrats calling the Republicans crazy. I was looking at the debate and thinking, 'Look, you're all crazy.' And all this spending kind of fits in well with a bad rap."

Munasifi said he earlier wrote a song for ReasonTV about the Transportation Security Administration renaming the hokeypokey the "Pokey Pokey."

"Raise the Debt Ceiling's" lyrics feature references to dwindling funds for social services and tongue-in-cheek references to current events. One verse includes the lines:

"Bail out all kind of cars / got all kind of whips / ladies ask me how I get 'em / I tell 'em stimulus!

"Social Security surplus? /  Oh, guess what? it's gone / I got my hands on everything / like Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

"Ain't got no Medicare trust fund / son, that's just absurd / spending every single penny that / we see, son, have you heard?"

The song's bridge is a mock C-SPAN clip of two fictional lawmakers spouting rhythmic jargon within the "committee on spending a crap ton of money." The characters' names also ring a political bell.  The Republican senator is named Fran Tarpington, while the Democrat is F. Lee Bailout. In the same segment, Munasifi is asked if he has "a comment for committee" and responds, "I make it rain."

"Raise the Debt Ceiling" departs from traditional rap songs, many of which brag about spending money, by questioning the habit of "droppin' $100 bills and million-dollar bombs."

Post by:
Filed under: Budget • District of Columbia • Economy • Politics • U.S.
  1. Mikey

really? a nazi left..lol.

July 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. rhymeskeema

Hilarious raps are just what we need as a nation right now. Let's rap our way out of this mess.

July 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. J

Ironic white rap parodies were barely funny the first time, now it's like the most embarrassing thing you can do. Just stop.

July 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chase

Hes not white, hes lebanese – lol... /fail

July 28, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. David

Dear CNN,

Thanks for posting this news report/entertainment story. But I have a question. Is the rappers name Munasafi, as spelled in this sentence: "Comedian Remy Munasifi appears in a music video...?" Or, perhaps his name is Munisifi, as noted by this blurb. "Munisifi is asked if he has..." If you could have an editor and fact checker get back to me on this, I would greatly appreciate it as it's important that you be accurate within your reporting so that we, the readers, understand the significance of your reporting.

Sincerely,
    David

July 27, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

As an aside, CNN, I have been out of work since November 5, 2010. If you need proofreaders, spell checkers, grammar police, writers, editors, etc... I would be anxious to join your staff and help out with any and all necessary web based articles for inclusion here on the CNN.com site. If allowed to work remotely (read: from home here in south Georgia), I would drastically cut my rate provided the benefits package was one that would allow my daughter and I to afford proper health care, dental care and vision. It's just my daughter and I, and while she is only 11, as a growing child, we could use the income and support so that we too may be able to once again enjoy work and move our lives forward. Thank you!

July 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • aelkincnn

Thanks so much for the catch! Got it fixed. Thanks for reading!

July 28, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mark L.

Welcome to the Tea Party controlled United States of Somalia !! The Tea Party = The FASCIST PARTY !!!!

July 27, 2011 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Dick Hertz

President Obama wants us to contact our Representatives about the budget. The average American is tired of making sacrifices. It's time for Illegal aliens and their spawn to make the sacrifices. They deserve nothing. I say again. Nothing. It churns my guts every time I go to a Doctor's office and see them lined up. If I can't get a rebate on supporting them then I'd rather see my money spent deporting them. E-Verify should be mandatory on every worker in America. If benefits have been taken from Veterans in the past then the same can be done to an Anchor babies citizenship. I'm a Veteran and believe I shouldn't have to support my enemy.
    I'm an Independent voter and my vote next year will go to those who are getting rid of the Illegal aliens. I want to see them disappearing and Americans going back to work.

July 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Apu

What a Dick... Your ancestors, Illegal Aliens, founded and built this nation...with the help of other unfortunate Aliens, aka slaves. Get back to work and stop complaining about the people who actually do something in this country. Worry about the thievery in the government sector...there lies the real problem....but I'm sure you have nothing to state in regards to the jokers running the show. Thanks for your service tho.

July 28, 2011 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

i totally agree with your view logic from austin! ticks me off that ive worked all my life, had to take cuts in pay, paid into social security, and taxes on it to learn i may not be getting my check time the monkees in gov take a few cuts. live like we do

July 27, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

and if rap is the way to get the message out than this grandma says u just go wit ur bad self! time to fire the whole dang lot of em! gov monkees i mean and start over. they have embarressed us worldwide and aint done much and are way overpaid!

July 28, 2011 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bonnie

They should read Benjamin Franklin instead of cartoons and comc books.

July 28, 2011 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. Bonnie

Do rappers and comedians have high school diploma to express opinions on politics?

July 28, 2011 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Chase

Remy actually went to business school, and comes from a prominent family. He may have a good idea about what he's talking about

July 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Stranger, or am I? who is behind the wheel?

Yawn* Wow America at its brightest! And these are the people that well until Aug 2nd be the most powerful people on the planet, so they thought! Now that we know that power is not everything, especially when it comes to jump starting a person, or in this case a nations IQ.

Yuppers here is a thought.... Why not take away American government, take away economy, take away technology, and systems of control, protocol, and security. Take away money, and take away the idea of one global leader, which would take out bogus B.S wars and starting of them. Frankly America you lost all respect from normal decent human beings all over the world the day you went to war with Afghanistan, although some may say earlier then that and the cherry on the top was NO W,M,D in Iraq. Come on you can say it…America Sucks! Anyways, what is left over? Well for one a very different world, psychologically, emotionally, culturally, and spiritually. Farmers, instead of pay in paper materialistic form, that we are delusional over, that have pictures of ether people rolling over in there graves that this is happening, or leaders that have been the lineage cause of this problem with numbers on it, and is the causes of not only stress, hart attacks, disease, famine, corruption, corporations deception, greed, and government deception as well as oil companies, and global warming both for and against, among many other areas of the domino effect, and one of the main reasons why America has debt. That, and the everyday american citizen that has willfully embraced it. Farmers pay would instead be the knowledge that children and families are being feed by farmer’s selfless acts to help each other, that the farmer would be feeding hundreds of people including there own family free of charge, something that we as a human race have forgotten to do. That is to help each other. If god dose punish, it would make sense that god would take out the economy, maybe instead as a form of mercy. To remind us about what is really important, and what we have been so blind to see lately, and maybe become truly a spiritually beautiful, loving, compassionate race? Rather then wishful thinking that actors pull off in heartwarming movies. Same goes for people who try to keep the lights on electrically. There pay would be the knowledge that people will have lights on because of them thousands, or millions free. If we lived in that kind of world how would we change as a human race??? How would we change as a society? As well as caring enough to prevent such bull from occurring… Suddenly the impossibilities would be possible. People would live in massive tents but at lest we would live in a sense of brotherhood. Contributing to the global humanity, then a business or a corporation that dose not really serve. Why is it delusional? Because no one has ever bothered to try it out. Not at lest in recorded history. Let’s face it. This way in other words Global Village Methods well save people necessities then money. This is the TRUE CHANGE America and the world is looking for.

But hey, whom am I kidding. Everyone say I for this you tube rapper for president. He certainly has a lot more higher I.Q then two kindergarteners called Democrats, and Republican, saying to each other, who has the bigger dick contest. Opps guess this will not go on CNN . tear* Then again I guess I.Q for America will be pointless in 10 years time if America dose default. Well it happened to Egypt. It happened to Rome, and it happened to the Nazi, Mythology wise through corruption that happened in the story of Atlantis. Is it any wonder that America is next on that list? Too much power went to your head. Hope you like the results. All your hard work and dedication came to this..... You earned it! Clap clap clap…!

July 28, 2011 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. jm

I love his stuff! My favorite has to be between "I Dominate" and "The Metro."

July 28, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  13. U.S.Army-OverLord

He show a lot of wit with this rap. I like it. 😉

July 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |